-   -   launchpad (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/117509-launchpad.html)

Space Case 06-15-2008 06:34 AM

launchpad

Hi all I need lots of help as I am trying to teach myself to use this software. I need help with everything...lol One of my big problems is not knowing how to open other software packages?

"Martin Pool" 07-03-2008 12:36 AM

launchpad

On 6/15/08, Space Case <space_case2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all I need lots of help as I am trying to teach myself to use this software. I need help with everything...lol One of my big problems is not knowing how to open other software packages?

Hi,

can you explain in more detail what you're trying to do and what
specific problem you're having?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

"Martin Pool" 07-03-2008 06:52 AM

launchpad

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Space Case <space_case2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi thank You for responding. I can try what i am talking about is How can I
> run *.exe files in ubuntu? Most problems like that are for non-linux
> programs as I was under the impression that with the new flavors of Linux it
> is possible to run Windows programs with little or no major problems. I am
> also don't understand the root? I mean according to what I have read when
> you sign into ubuntu or other linux software and your the only one listed as
> a user that you have those privilages ? Can you also suggest a good learning
> book that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I don't have to sign over a
> first born son if I was to have one....lol

Hi,

I suggest you look over here, assuming you're using Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/

To run Windows programs see http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313

For a good introductory book you can try 'The Official Ubuntu Book' or
see https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/book/book-toc.html

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

Bruce Marshall 10-03-2010 10:55 PM

Launchpad

I just installed 10.10 on two AMD64 machines and had the same problem each time with the installer. It dies while I manually was trying to select my partitions. (which I always do)

Since I had this same problem with Lucid, I figured it was time to file a report.

Nope.

I've been to launchpad several times and just cannot seem to find the method to file a report. Yes, I have an account. But when logging in it either sends me to a long tutorial on "How to file a report", or to my preferences page, or anywhere else, and when I clicked on one page which looked hopeful, it died at the server saying it had a problem.

This launchpad stuff is just not intuitive and I'm sorry, I'll just have to live with the problem along with the rest of us.

Oh, well, maybe I'm a newbie at this. I've only been using linux since '94.

<
ant off>

Ric Moore 10-04-2010 01:10 AM

Launchpad

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 18:55 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> This launchpad stuff is just not intuitive and I'm sorry, I'll just
> have to live with the problem along with the rest of us.

Fedora's Bug Trak system was as bad, even worse. I haven't seen one yet
without a steep learning curve. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Clay Weber 10-04-2010 01:45 AM

Launchpad

On Sunday, October 03, 2010 09:10:41 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 18:55 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > This launchpad stuff is just not intuitive and I'm sorry, I'll just
> > have to live with the problem along with the rest of us.
>
> Fedora's Bug Trak system was as bad, even worse. I haven't seen one yet
> without a steep learning curve. Ric

+1 on that.

From either
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
or
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting
you can file bugs using the built-in tools, though if the installer crashes,
how would you do that?

The direct link to the bug reporting page is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect
The package name you want is ubiquity-kde, I think.

Clay

Bruce Marshall 10-04-2010 01:56 AM

Launchpad

On Sunday, October 03, 2010, Clay Weber wrote:

> The direct link to the bug reporting page is:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect

> The package name you want is ubiquity-kde, I think.

Thanks for this, but this happened during the install.... and I don't think it has to do with KDE.... I was trying to manually select partitions and after anywhere from 6 to 14 partitions, it bombs.

Clay Weber 10-04-2010 02:10 AM

Launchpad

On Sunday, October 03, 2010 09:56:47 pm Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday, October 03, 2010, Clay Weber wrote:
> > The direct link to the bug reporting page is:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect
> > The package name you want is ubiquity-kde, I think.
>
> Thanks for this, but this happened during the install.... and I don't
> think it has to do with KDE.... I was trying to manually select
> partitions and after anywhere from 6 to 14 partitions, it bombs.

It still could be the installer (ubiquity-kde - an Ubuntu/Kubuntu-specific
package). If you start the report, it will offer you existing ones that may
match what you are experiencing. This might give you some useful info, and you
can at least add your "this bug affects me" to one if it is what you have.

Clay

Basil Chupin 10-04-2010 09:10 AM

Launchpad

On 04/10/2010 12:56, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Sunday, October 03, 2010, Clay Weber wrote:
>
> > The direct link to the bug reporting page is:
>
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect
>
> > The package name you want is ubiquity-kde, I think.
>
> Thanks for this, but this happened during the install.... and I don't
> think it has to do with KDE.... I was trying to manually select
> partitions and after anywhere from 6 to 14 partitions, it bombs.

Bruce, as you know I use Ubuntu.

I installed Maverick RC1 (10.10) earlier.

I always install as a new install and always use the manual (expert)
option to install when it comes to partitioning.

I have 12 partitions in total on the 2 HDDs I always use.

I had - nor ever had - any troubles in having the installer in Ubuntu to
correctly recognise, format, and/or assign mount points to each of these
partitions.

The only difference I can see here is that you are referring to a KDE
64-bit system while I have the 32-bit Ubuntu system.

Perhaps somewhere here lies the answer?

FYI.

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Robin 07-31-2011 05:05 PM

Launchpad

Launchpad lets me log in and READ, but I can't write - anything! I
cannot comment on anything, vote on anything, suggest anything (I was
hoping to ask that PulseAudio be dropped - my Xubu doesn't make a peep
in any app until I remove PulseAudio and use ALSA).

I'd love to get more involved in Xubuntu, but all I can do is read what
others write (except here on this list or in my blog at Linux.com or my
personal blog), I don't know how.

Not that I can do much, I'm not technically minded nor graphically
artistic, just an enthusiastic fanboi, lol. I could make a Xubuntu Fan
Club or something, that's about it.

But I do carry Xubu LiveCDs for people who are curious when they see
how gorgeous and fast my Xubu is (I'm not an "evangelist" who pushes
Linux on people though), and I "plug" Xubu alot in my blog.

Is there some sort of key to unlocking Launchpad so I can do more than
read and edit my own page (dixiedancer)?

Thanks,

Robin

http://robinsrantsandraves.wordpress.com