Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 AM
"Og Maciel"

Default Calling translators for BillReminder

Hi guys,

I guess since the Rosetta mailing list has been joined into the LP
user's list...

Could the official members of the Romanian, Arabic and others take a
quick look at the pending translations for BillReminder
<https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/billreminder/trunk/+pots/billreminder>
and approve them?

Thanks in advance,
--
Og B. Maciel

omaciel@foresightlinux.org
ogmaciel@gnome.org
ogmaciel@ubuntu.com

GPG Keys: D5CFC202

http://www.ogmaciel.com (en_US)
http://blog.ogmaciel.com (pt_BR)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Adi Roiban

Hi,

Īn data de Ma, 01-07-2008 la 22:47 -0400, Og Maciel a scris:
> Hi guys,
>
> I guess since the Rosetta mailing list has been joined into the LP
> user's list...
>
> Could the official members of the Romanian, Arabic and others take a
> quick look at the pending translations for BillReminder
> <https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/billreminder/trunk/+pots/billreminder>
> and approve them?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I start approving the transtalions.

Many thanks for letting me know. I didn't know about this recent translations.

Is there a way to see all new activity for a specific language?

I would be very useful to have a page where we can see all packages with
new suggestions for a specific language.

At least for the Romanian team the communication is almost nonexistent and people
are adding suggestions without asking to be approved.

Kind regards,
Adi

--
Adi Roiban

Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Henning Eggers

Adi Roiban schrieb:
> I would be very useful to have a page where we can see all packages with
> new suggestions for a specific language.
>
> At least for the Romanian team the communication is almost nonexistent and people
> are adding suggestions without asking to be approved.

From what I have read, that problem is the same for the German team. If
such a page does not exist yet it should definitely be added.

Henning

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
"Og Maciel"

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Adi Roiban <adi@roiban.ro> wrote:
> I would be very useful to have a page where we can see all packages with
> new suggestions for a specific language.

As far as I know, the only way right now is to constantly check your
language "home" page and search for translations that need review:
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+lang/ro

It is a lot of work but...

> At least for the Romanian team the communication is almost nonexistent and people
> are adding suggestions without asking to be approved.

What we have done for the Brazilian team was create a wiki page with a
list of the packages we think people should focus on translating. We
ask people to add their names to the packages they want to "adopt" and
they become responsible for emailing the entire team when they're
finished (they can also email asking for help). Then one of the
official members reviews the work and applies them, as well as provide
valuable feedback to the volunteer.

Cheers,

Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Sebastian Heinlein

Am Mittwoch, den 02.07.2008, 08:48 +0200 schrieb Henning Eggers:
> Adi Roiban schrieb:
> > I would be very useful to have a page where we can see all packages with
> > new suggestions for a specific language.
> >
> > At least for the Romanian team the communication is almost nonexistent and people
> > are adding suggestions without asking to be approved.
> >
> From what I have read, that problem is the same for the German team. If
> such a page does not exist yet it should definitely be added.

Launchpad wants to enforce a model that does not fit the needs of the
German translation team. But I already wrote about it in length, see
ubuntu-translators list.

I would favour to forbid making suggestions without getting into contact
with us before.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
"Og Maciel"

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Launchpad wants to enforce a model that does not fit the needs of the
> German translation team. But I already wrote about it in length, see
> ubuntu-translators list.

I remember reading it...

> I would favour to forbid making suggestions without getting into contact
> with us before.

I know exactly what you are talking about and have created means to
"make it fit" into our (Brazilian Portuguese) model. However, Rosetta
has a huge potential and I am planning to write up a couple of
blueprints with suggestions to give the Rosetta devs a window to what
we feel would help us. Would you be interested in collaborating with
me? Anyone else?

Cheers,

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Adi Roiban

Īn data de Mi, 02-07-2008 la 08:50 -0400, Og Maciel a scris:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Adi Roiban <adi@roiban.ro> wrote:
> > I would be very useful to have a page where we can see all packages with
> > new suggestions for a specific language.
>
> As far as I know, the only way right now is to constantly check your
> language "home" page and search for translations that need review:
> https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+lang/ro
>
> It is a lot of work but...
I'm also doing this but there are about 1400 packages and i don't want
to overload the servers.

This is valid only for templates included in ubuntu distribuion and not
templates from other projects (ex BillReminder)

> > At least for the Romanian team the communication is almost nonexistent and people
> > are adding suggestions without asking to be approved.
>
> What we have done for the Brazilian team was create a wiki page with a
> list of the packages we think people should focus on translating. We
> ask people to add their names to the packages they want to "adopt" and
> they become responsible for emailing the entire team when they're
> finished (they can also email asking for help). Then one of the
> official members reviews the work and applies them, as well as provide
> valuable feedback to the volunteer.
We also have such a wiki page and a forum for discussion this issues.

But people who are not member of Ubuntu Romanian Team or are not very
actuive don't use wikis or forums.
Also while templates are updated from upstream some translations are
marked as "Need review". In this case is very hard to know what package
needs a review.

I hope soon we will have bug #113392 in Launchpad Translations solved.

--
Adi Roiban

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Sebastian Heinlein

Am Mittwoch, den 02.07.2008, 09:59 -0400 schrieb Og Maciel:
> I know exactly what you are talking about and have created means to
> "make it fit" into our (Brazilian Portuguese) model. However, Rosetta
> has a huge potential and I am planning to write up a couple of
> blueprints with suggestions to give the Rosetta devs a window to what
> we feel would help us. Would you be interested in collaborating with
> me? Anyone else?

To be honest there seems to be more a lack of development resources and
not of ideas.

This is my personal favourite:

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+spec/translation-roles

I can remember talking with Carlos about this back in 2006.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Matthew Paul Thomas

Old 07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
"Og Maciel"

Here's my (first draft, please be gentle) attempt at
documenting/suggesting a workflow:

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+spec/translation-workflow-and-notification-system

Please help!