Old 07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Sebastian Heinlein

Default Credited Suggestions

Hello,

Should people who only made suggestion that haven't been approved be
really part of the translator credits? Since everybody is free to
contribute suggestions and most users don't even provide a real name, we
end up with a wired list of names.

From my point of view this makes a bad impression on the quality of the
translation.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
"Caroline Ford"

2008/7/1 Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor@ubuntu.com>:
> Hello,
>
> Should people who only made suggestion that haven't been approved be
> really part of the translator credits? Since everybody is free to
> contribute suggestions and most users don't even provide a real name, we
> end up with a wired list of names.
>
> From my point of view this makes a bad impression on the quality of the
> translation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian

Well upstreams are very used to people using nicknames so we don't get
a bad impression from a long list of names. However it would be a lot
better if the list of authors was included in the po file rather than
separately. We're all pretty hot on licensing and author details, as
you'd imagine. Would laucnhpad's laxity with authors get through
Debian? Sometimes I doubt it.

What causes problems is the bad blood between some upstream
translation projects and rosetta, and the fact that Ubuntu changes
translations and doesn't give changes back. This creates hostility.

The new licensing changes are only going to complicate things even
more, and I'm afriad that it'll just be easier to reject all the
volunteers' work than fight yet more battles about the incorporation
of Launchpad's "dodgy" translations.

It's already really hard to incorporate people's work. You fork
translations from us and amend them! I still haven't worked out a way
of undoing the delta, or even getting launchpad to work from
upstream's latest work.

Why provide such a great translation interface and then make it so
hard to use the work?

Caroline

Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 PM
"David Planella"

I have long wanted to report a bug on this, but I haven't managed yet.

I completely agree with Sebastian. I would have no problem in having
someone in the translation credits even if they have contributed with
a single string (although here I also see room for discussion), but I
find it plainly wrong that just anyone who makes a suggestion, even if
it is not approved, gets listed in the credits.

I have often seen suggestions that are completely wrong, or even in
another language, and I do not find it fair that those users get
listed in the credits along with people who have put a lot of effort
in translating a complete package and reviewing it.

Cheers,
David.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Sebastian Heinlein

Am Dienstag, den 01.07.2008, 17:12 +0100 schrieb Caroline Ford:
> 2008/7/1 Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor@ubuntu.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Should people who only made suggestion that haven't been approved be
> > really part of the translator credits? Since everybody is free to
> > contribute suggestions and most users don't even provide a real name, we
> > end up with a wired list of names.
> >
> > From my point of view this makes a bad impression on the quality of the
> > translation.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sebastian
>
> Well upstreams are very used to people using nicknames so we don't get
> a bad impression from a long list of names. However it would be a lot
> better if the list of authors was included in the po file rather than
> separately. We're all pretty hot on licensing and author details, as
> you'd imagine. Would laucnhpad's laxity with authors get through
> Debian? Sometimes I doubt it.

As far as I know I have only seen full names in the authors sections or
copyright statements of other projects.

The authors list is included in the po file. See the translation of
translator-credits.

> It's already really hard to incorporate people's work. You fork
> translations from us and amend them!

Re-using and modifying the work of others is the nature of Open Source
and Free Software. So I don't see a problem here.

> I still haven't worked out a way of undoing the delta, or even
> getting launchpad to work from upstream's latest work.

You can upload po files as published uploads to import the latest
upstream translations.

To undo the changes just click on the "Changed in Launchpad" filter and
reset the translation by clicking on the corresponding "packaged" radio
buttons.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Old 07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
"Caroline Ford"

2008/7/1 Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor@ubuntu.com>:
> Am Dienstag, den 01.07.2008, 17:12 +0100 schrieb Caroline Ford:
>> 2008/7/1 Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor@ubuntu.com>:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Should people who only made suggestion that haven't been approved be
>> > really part of the translator credits? Since everybody is free to
>> > contribute suggestions and most users don't even provide a real name, we
>> > end up with a wired list of names.
>> >
>> > From my point of view this makes a bad impression on the quality of the
>> > translation.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Sebastian
>>
>> Well upstreams are very used to people using nicknames so we don't get
>> a bad impression from a long list of names. However it would be a lot
>> better if the list of authors was included in the po file rather than
>> separately. We're all pretty hot on licensing and author details, as
>> you'd imagine. Would laucnhpad's laxity with authors get through
>> Debian? Sometimes I doubt it.
>
> As far as I know I have only seen full names in the authors sections or
> copyright statements of other projects.
>
> The authors list is included in the po file. See the translation of
> translator-credits.
>
>> It's already really hard to incorporate people's work. You fork
>> translations from us and amend them!
>
> Re-using and modifying the work of others is the nature of Open Source
> and Free Software. So I don't see a problem here.
>
>> I still haven't worked out a way of undoing the delta, or even
>> getting launchpad to work from upstream's latest work.
>
> You can upload po files as published uploads to import the latest
> upstream translations.
>
> To undo the changes just click on the "Changed in Launchpad" filter and
> reset the translation by clicking on the corresponding "packaged" radio
> buttons.
Upstreams do not have the permissions to upload new po files! (Unless
something has changed very recently).

Caroline

Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
"Og Maciel"

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Caroline Ford
<caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Upstreams do not have the permissions to upload new po files! (Unless
> something has changed very recently).

Thing is many of us work directly with upstream and manually upload
the translations manually to make sure they are automatically
accepted.
--
Og B. Maciel

omaciel@foresightlinux.org
ogmaciel@gnome.org
ogmaciel@ubuntu.com

GPG Keys: D5CFC202

http://www.ogmaciel.com (en_US)
http://blog.ogmaciel.com (pt_BR)

Old 07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
"Caroline Ford"

2008/7/1 Og Maciel <ogmaciel@ubuntu.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Caroline Ford
> <caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Upstreams do not have the permissions to upload new po files! (Unless
>> something has changed very recently).
>
> Thing is many of us work directly with upstream and manually upload
> the translations manually to make sure they are automatically
> accepted.
> --
> Og B. Maciel

But how do I, as upstream for tux4kids, get our translations in? I
can't, and so the delta gets bigger and bigger..

Caroline

Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
"Og Maciel"

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Caroline Ford
<caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
> But how do I, as upstream for tux4kids, get our translations in? I
> can't, and so the delta gets bigger and bigger..

Assuming tux4kids is a registred project in Launchpad and setup for
translations, you should be able to do it just fine.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
"Caroline Ford"

2008/7/1 Og Maciel <ogmaciel@ubuntu.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Caroline Ford
> <caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> But how do I, as upstream for tux4kids, get our translations in? I
>> can't, and so the delta gets bigger and bigger..
>
> Assuming tux4kids is a registred project in Launchpad and setup for
> translations, you should be able to do it just fine.
> --
> Og B. Maciel

We don't use launchpad for translations, this is about the delta
between _Ubuntu_'s translations of our software, and our own.

Caroline

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
"Og Maciel"

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Caroline Ford
<caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We don't use launchpad for translations, this is about the delta
> between _Ubuntu_'s translations of our software, and our own.

I'm not the best person right now to give you the best answer, but
I'll give it a try. If you're happy with the translation work done in
Rosetta and want it to be incorporated into your upstream project, you
could either every now and then download the translations (from
Rosetta) and patch-apply it in your upstream repo. This is what I
currently do for my own project.

Cheers,