Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Jeroen Vermeulen

Default Rosetta after 31 July 2008

Andi Albrecht wrote:

> After reading the discussions about the license issue on this list,
> I'm pretty unsure about the consequences. I have no problems with the
> BSD license, but at least I want to have all translations licensed the
> same as the project itself.
>
> Let's assume the following:
>
> I've uploaded a template and a german translation to Launchpad, both
> GPL'ed. Someone adds for example a spanish translation and someone
> else changes one or two strings in my german translation. Does this
> mean that I come up with a GPL'ed template, a BSD licensed spanish
> translation and a GPL'ed german translation with one or two strings
> licensed under BSD?

The template and the German are GPL. The Spanish translation is BSD but
can be distributed under GPL, so you don't need to care about the
difference (except you're _also_ allowed to use it for other projects
with GPL-incompatible licenses). The one or two strings, unless they're
unusually long, are not separately copyrightable so they just become a
part of the GPL'ed German translation.

So what you end up with in this example is a pure-GPL set of
translations, except there are some extra things you're allowed to do
with the German one.

Jeroen

Old 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
"Henning Eggers"

Jeroen Vermeulen sagte:
> So what you end up with in this example is a pure-GPL set of
> translations, except there are some extra things you're allowed to do
> with the German one.

You lost me here... I guess this should read "... allowed to do with the
*Spanish* one.", right? Because the Spanish was entered in LP and is
therefore under BSD.

Henning

Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Jeroen Vermeulen

Henning Eggers wrote:
> Jeroen Vermeulen sagte:
>> So what you end up with in this example is a pure-GPL set of
>> translations, except there are some extra things you're allowed to do
>> with the German one.
>
> You lost me here... I guess this should read "... allowed to do with the
> *Spanish* one.", right? Because the Spanish was entered in LP and is
> therefore under BSD.

I'm sorry, yes.

Jeroen