Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Benno Schulenberg

Default BSD licence

Danilo *egan wrote:
> On Tuesday at 18:53, Bruno Patri wrote:
> > http://translationproject.org/disclaim.txt
> > "I disclaim all copyright interest in my works, which consist of
> > translation of portions of free software programs from one human
> > language to another human language,
>
> This ("I disclaim...") means that you are putting your
> translations in public domain.

Taken by itself it would, but it is preceded by "I [...] do hereby
acknowledge to the Free Software Foundation". The disclaimer says
this only to the FSF. No maker of a proprietary program can show
in court a signed document that says I have disclaimed the interest
in my copyright on the strings found in their hypothetical program.

So it would be good to adjust the fourth item in the licensing FAQ a
little: https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LicensingFAQ --
maybe "Why no signed disclaimers like for FSF programs?" And then
say that it is too much hassle to get and keep a signed document
from every contributor?

Please notice that it is not the Translation Project that asks for a
disclaimer, but the FSF, for all the programs that it owns. At the
TP there are many packages (about 90 of the 150) that don't require
a disclaimer.

Also notice that translators disclaim the _interest in their
copyright, not the copyright itself. So they get to keep that.
To lawyers this appears to make a difference.

Benno

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Benno Schulenberg

Bruno Patri wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 17:19:56 Danilo *egan wrote:
> > Ok, public domain == not copyrighted, and it's all already
> > published on translationproject.org. Nobody needs a license to
> > use public domain stuff.

To be clear: files at the TP are not public domain. Most are
covered by the GPL, a few by a BSD-like licence.

> That's right, but it seems that all .po files avaible on TP have
> a copyright header...

Correct. Many files at the TP contain a copyright line like this:

# Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This means the FSF owns the copyright on the msgids. That this
copyright covers only the msgids is made more clear in the files
for which the FSF is not the copyright owner, as for e2fsprogs:

# Copyright (C) 2008 Theodore Tso (msgids)

For all PO files it are the translators themselves who own the
copyright on the msgstrs. In order to distinguish the author lines
from the main copyright line, they do not contain the "Copyright
(C)" string. But they have the same meaning. For example:

# Benno Schulenberg <benno (@) vertaalt.nl>, 2008.

Benno

Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Jeroen Vermeulen

Milo Casagrande wrote:
> --- Mar 1/7/08, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> ha scritto:
>> The problem with that is that because of the fact that
>> translations
>> from upstream are generally not imported immediately in
>> Ubuntu, and
>> the solution is often for the translation team to upload
>> the upstream
>> translation in Rosetta. At least I believe that is how the
>> Italian
>> team does things.
>
> Yes, we've always done that for speeding up the process.

It's from before my time, but I believe that's why we talk about
"published" uploads instead of "upstream" ones: it means they come from
somewhere upstream from where they're being imported, but not
necessarily from all the way upstream. So as long as an upload is
marked as published, Launchpad knows it's not the original source and
knows not to assume it's BSD-licensed.

The change we're going through now should make it easier for us to
explain this in the future, without too much legalese.

Jeroen