-   -   PPA's always wanting to upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/10088-ppas-always-wanting-upgrade.html)

Mario Limonciello 12-01-2007 06:13 PM

PPA's always wanting to upgrade

Hi everyone,

I've had a few users of my PPA's (mythbuntu,mythbuntu-trunk,ipod-touch)
complaining about stuff like this happening:

zorael@azrael:~$ sudo aptitude full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
ipod-convenience
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/9206B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
this is what you want to do.

ipod-convenience

Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?
To continue, enter "Yes"; to abort, enter "No": Yes
Writing extended state information... Done
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 153696 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ipod-convenience 0.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1 (using .../ipod-convenience_0.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ipod-convenience ...
Setting up ipod-convenience (0.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1) ...

[...]

So basically the PPA thinks that it always wants to upgrade the
package. Can anyone think of why it would be doing this?

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@ubuntu.com

"Mackenzie Morgan" 12-01-2007 06:27 PM

PPA's always wanting to upgrade

What if you do a "sudo apt-get update"?

[...]

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff
apt-get moo

Mario Limonciello 12-01-2007 06:35 PM

Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> [...]
>
> ipod-convenience
>
> Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?
> To continue, enter "Yes"; to abort, enter "No": Yes
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 153696 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace ipod-convenience 0.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1 (using
> .../ipod-convenience_0.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1_all.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement ipod-convenience ...
> Setting up ipod-convenience (0.3-0ubuntu1~ppa1) ...
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initialising package states... Done
> Building tag database... Done
>

> So basically the PPA thinks that it always wants to upgrade the
> package. Can anyone think of why it would be doing this?

Yeah updating the apt package lists doesn't change anything for the affected folks.

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@ubuntu.com

"Celso Providelo" 12-01-2007 07:49 PM

PPA's always wanting to upgrade

On Dec 1, 2007 5:13 PM, Mario Limonciello <superm1@ubuntu.com> wrote:

[snip]

> ipod-convenience

[snip]

> So basically the PPA thinks that it always wants to upgrade the
> package. Can anyone think of why it would be doing this?

Hi Mario,

This issue is a known bug in the PPA code that generates archive
indexes, see https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/165230.

As the schooltool's zope3 package, you use 'Pre-depends' in your
package and LP doesn't include it in the indexes, once it's installed
apt gets confused by this difference (local metadata and ppa-index
metadata), assumes the package has changed and tries to install it
again.

BTW, isn't 'Pre-Depends: debconf' unnecessary ?

Anyway, If you can safely avoid the use of the following
control-fields in your packages until we get our code fixed,
installations from your PPA will be fine

* Source::Build-Conflicts
* Source::Build-Conflicts-Indep
* Binary::Pre-depends
* Binary::Recommends
* Binary::Enhances
* Binary::Breaks
* Binary::Essential

See https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/172308 for more
information on this task.

Sorry for this inconvenience, we will be working to get it fixed ASAP.

[]
--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@gmail.com>

"Mario Limonciello" 12-01-2007 08:55 PM

PPA's always wanting to upgrade

Celso,

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I'll subscribe and let my users know about the issue.

Regards,

On Dec 1, 2007 2:49 PM, Celso Providelo <
celso.providelo@gmail.com> wrote:
On Dec 1, 2007 5:13 PM, Mario Limonciello <
superm1@ubuntu.com> wrote:

[snip]

> * ipod-convenience

[snip]