-   -   First impressions of MuseScore (http://www.linux-archive.org/launchpad-user/100824-first-impressions-musescore.html)

"Toby Smithe" 06-04-2008 05:21 PM

First impressions of MuseScore

It's frustrating the Google Mail doesn't allow you to change subject
line halfway through a thread. This topic is about the MuseScore
notation project [0] and Launchpad.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Thomas Bonte <thomas.bonte@gmail.com> wrote:
> Toby, since you are a LP user, perhaps you could tell us how MuseScore could
> use the LP translation system
> (https://translations.launchpad.net/musescore). Do you know how this works
> and integrates with the code repository?

I'm not sure how translation works, but as I understand it, the
developers upload template files, and the Launchpad interface
generates po files from suggestions.

> This might influence to choice of the issue tracker a lot I guess. The
> adoption of MuseScore can depend a lot on the number of supported languages.

Indeed.

Many Ubuntu users are also familiar with the LP interface, which -
once you get used to it - makes a lot of sense; I find it to be far
more congenial than either the Google or SF.net facilities. URLs are a
lot prettier, too :)

If the project is interested in moving the issue tracker to Launchpad,
the LP developers/admins are very helpful in migrating data from
Google/SF as necessary. In fact, having thought that, I will CC the
launchpad-users mailing list.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Bonte <thomas.bonte@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that the vcs for musescore is currently in pending status
> (https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/musescore/trunk). What would need
> to be done to actually import it?

I'm not sure. I wonder if the LP people could check that out?

> My main question however goes to the adoption of the issue tracker. Almost
> everyone has a google account so becoming a member is real easy. Second, the
> google code interface is easier to use as well. It's a challenge to find
> your way through LP, even for a developer. But on the other hand, LP has rss
> feeds which I really miss with Google Code.

I'm sure people would be interested to hear your thoughts on the
difficulties of Launchpad :)

launchpad-users, could you CC replies, as I'm not subscribed to that
list, and I'm sure many other interested parties are neither.

[0] http://mscore.sourceforge.net

Graham Binns 06-05-2008 06:15 PM

First impressions of MuseScore

Hi Toby,

I'm a member of the Launchpad Bug Tracker team. I'm responsible for
dealing with importing bugs from other trackers, so I wanted to chime in
on this thread about one of the things you mentioned below.

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 06:21:40PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> If the project is interested in moving the issue tracker to Launchpad,
> the LP developers/admins are very helpful in migrating data from
> Google/SF as necessary. In fact, having thought that, I will CC the
> launchpad-users mailing list.

We'd be happy to help. The process of importing bugs from SourceForge is
actually pretty simple. We have a tool which we use to create an XML
file which Launchpad can then import. Once we've got that we can test it
on our demo Launchpad instance at http://demo.launchpad.net. Your team
can then check the imported bugs to ensure that they've been imported
correctly and that everything makes sense. Once that's done we can
import it into Launchpad proper.

The length of time the process takes varies depending on how many bugs
there are to import (according to SourceForge there are 56 bugs, 47
feature requests and 4 support requests for MuseScore, which should be
fairly quick to import) and on any changes that you feel may need making
to the imported data before we do the import to the production Launchpad
instance.

Please feel free to let me know if you've got any questions.

Cheers,

Graham

--
Graham Binns
http://launchpad.net/~gmb

Christian Robottom Reis 06-11-2008 11:15 PM

First impressions of MuseScore

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 06:21:40PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> > I noticed that the vcs for musescore is currently in pending status
> > (https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/musescore/trunk). What would need
> > to be done to actually import it?
>
> I'm not sure. I wonder if the LP people could check that out?

I've approved it -- let's see what happens. :)

> > My main question however goes to the adoption of the issue tracker. Almost
> > everyone has a google account so becoming a member is real easy. Second, the
> > google code interface is easier to use as well. It's a challenge to find
> > your way through LP, even for a developer. But on the other hand, LP has rss
> > feeds which I really miss with Google Code.
>
> I'm sure people would be interested to hear your thoughts on the
> difficulties of Launchpad :)

Well, it's a bit challenging because it's deeeeeep. But if you just live
inside your own project -- i.e. launchpad.net/musescore -- and hang on
to the tabs, it's not /that/ overwhelming.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125