Old 11-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Janne Vänttinen

Default CUPS-PDF

Hi.

I have a problem with cups-pdf in Gutsy. I have set output dir to
%USER/Desktop. Printing seems to work, but no file appears. cups-pdf_log
says

[ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal)
(/home/<user>/Desktop/<document>.pdf)

<user> and <document> are names of the user and the document, of course.
Obviously there is a problem with creating files, but I can't understand
what it is. Can anyone help me?

--
- Janne Vänttinen

Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Janne Vänttinen

Janne Vänttinen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a problem with cups-pdf in Gutsy. I have set output dir to
> %USER/Desktop. Printing seems to work, but no file appears. cups-pdf_log
> says
>
> [ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal)
> (/home/<user>/Desktop/<document>.pdf)
>
> <user> and <document> are names of the user and the document, of course.
> Obviously there is a problem with creating files, but I can't understand
> what it is. Can anyone help me?

Having now tested this more, I found that cups-pdf prints nicely to the
default "PDF" directory under the home directory, when it is set to
print there. However, no other directory seems to do! When I tried to
set output directory to "PDFPrinter", printing failed with log entries

Wed Dec 5 08:40:35 2007 [ERROR] failed to create directory
(/home/<user>/PDFPrinter)
Wed Dec 5 08:40:35 2007 [ERROR] failed to create user output directory
(/home/<user>/PDFPrinter)

So cups-pdf can only create directory "/home/<user>/PDF" and create
files there. Nothing else works.

Honestly, I have no idea why this is. Is it a bug or am I just missing
something obvious?

--
- Janne Vänttinen

Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris

I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems to have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image resolution does not help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

installed version of cups-pdf is...
ii cups-pdf 2.4.8-3 PDF printer for CUPS

installed version of iceape is...
ii iceape 1.1.12-1 The Iceape Internet Suite

--
C. Hurschler

Old 11-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:

> I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems to
> have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image
> resolution does not help.

Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf using
ps2pdfwr?

--
Michael Iatrou (gtgz)

Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Chris

On Sunday 02 November 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:
> > I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems to
> > have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image
> > resolution does not help.
>
> Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf using
> ps2pdfwr?
>
> --
> Michael Iatrou (gtgz)

They look equally bad. I would attach a file to this email, but I think lots
of list subscribers would not appreciate that.

C. Hurschler

Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Ron Johnson

I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems to
have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image
resolution does not help.

Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf using
ps2pdfwr?

--
Michael Iatrou (gtgz)

They look equally bad. I would attach a file to this email, but I think lots
of list subscribers would not appreciate that.

Don't most ISPs give each customer a "personal web page" with a
small quota of disk space?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won't
have to worry about paying my mortgage."
Peggy Joseph, on why she loves Obama

Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Chris wrote:

I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems to
have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image
resolution does not help.

Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf using
ps2pdfwr?

--
Michael Iatrou (gtgz)

They look equally bad. I would attach a file to this email, but I think lots
of list subscribers would not appreciate that.

Small attachments (~50 kb or so) should be fine. If it is too big, just
upload it somewhere and post a link.

-- Albert Einstein

Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:

> On Sunday 02 November 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> > When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:
> > > I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems
> > > to have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image
> > > resolution does not help.
> >
> > Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf
> > using ps2pdfwr?
> >
> They look equally bad. I would attach a file to this email, but I think
> lots of list subscribers would not appreciate that.

Take a screenshot, save it as png, upload it to imagebin.org and post a
link.

--
Michael Iatrou (mrlj)

Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Chris

On Monday 03 November 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf
> > > using ps2pdfwr?
> >
> > They look equally bad. I would attach a file to this email, but I think
> > lots of list subscribers would not appreciate that.
>
> Take a screenshot, save it as png, upload it to imagebin.org and post a
> link.
>
> --
> Michael Iatrou (mrlj)

ok. The first image is a fragment of a payment form from Ebay, the text is
unreadable

http://imagebin.org/30257

the second image

http://imagebin.org/30259

is a printout of the website

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/

the text is also mangled in this image,

Thanks for any help you can give me. It used to work fine. I am running an
up to date Lanny system.

Chris

--
C. Hurschler

Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
"H.S."

Chris wrote:

> ok. The first image is a fragment of a payment form from Ebay, the text is
> unreadable
>
> http://imagebin.org/30257
>
> the second image
>
> http://imagebin.org/30259
>
> is a printout of the website
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/

I printed this web page from Mozilla Seamonkey to a ps file and then
converted that file to pdf by using ps2pdf and also ps2pdfwr. In both
cases, the PDF came out okay. If it matters, I am using:
{tmp}$> dpkg -l *seam* *cups* | grep ^i
ii cups 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - server
ii cups-bsd 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
ii cups-client 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
ii cups-common 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - common files
ii cups-pdf 2.4.8-3 PDF printer for CUPS
ii cupsys 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System (transitional package)
ii cupsys-bsd 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System (transitional package)
ii cupsys-client 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System (transitional package)
ii cupsys-common 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System (transitional package)
ii gnome-cups-manager 0.31-3+b1 CUPS printer admin
tool for GNOME
ii libcups2 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - libs
ii libcups2-dev 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - development files
ii libcupsimage2 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii libcupsys2 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System (transitional package)
ii libcupsys2-dev 1.3.8-1lenny2 Common UNIX
Printing System (transitional package)
ii libgnomecups1.0-1 0.2.3-3 GNOME library for
CUPS interaction
ii libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a 0.31-3+b1 UI extensions to
libgnomecups

Regards.

ever having been read.