Old 11-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Ulrich Grn

Default Newbie: kernel/init messages at boot times: SOLVED (but to be continued)

Derek Broughton schrieb:
> Ulrich Grn wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I'm used to SuSE and Debian for quite a long time. With that
>> distributions, when I start (and power off) the computer, I get the kernel
>> and init messages on tty1. With (K)Ubuntu (7.10), this feature has been
>> disabled.
>
> No it hasn't.
>
>> I already changed the kernel options in 'menu.lst' and removed
>> the 'silent' option (which resulted in a little information, but not
>> exactly what I'm looking for)
>
> I trust that's just a translation of a german option (I have no idea if
> options are internationalized) but the correct option is "quiet". Since
> ubuntu uses the (long available on Debian) splash option, you probably want
> to turn that off too.

I was wrong with that word, indeed, I meant 'quiet'. I get the kernel messages
on another tty.
The problem of the blacked tty was caused by a wrong vga=### option. Before
Kubuntu, I used as kernel option 'vga=0x31a' (with SuSE). When I use this with
Kubuntu, all tty's are black. When I use 'vga=791' (as Kaj suggested) result is
black as well. So, now I have to figure out how to use a reasonable console
resolution that works. (and how strange that it doesn't work anymore . . .)

Thanks for the help!
--
Ulrich.
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Ulrich Grn wrote:

> The problem of the blacked tty was caused by a wrong vga=### option.
> Before Kubuntu, I used as kernel option 'vga=0x31a' (with SuSE). When I
> use this with Kubuntu, all tty's are black. When I use 'vga=791' (as Kaj
> suggested) result is black as well. So, now I have to figure out how to
> use a reasonable console resolution that works. (and how strange that it
> doesn't work anymore . . .)

Did you try just not using "vga=" at all? It's a workaround, and shouldn't
be needed for most machines, and one would expect that as the time between
the release of your computer and the latest kernel increases, it should be
less and less necessary.
--
derek