Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
"Lawson Hanson"

Default ADSL on eth0 not working on HP 6720s with Kubuntu 7.10

I have just installed Kubuntu 7.10 on my HP 6720s notebook PC,
and while most things appear to work, I'm having trouble
getting onto the internet via a hardwired ADSL modem
connected to the eth0 (hard-wired) port

The hardware works OK on Windows Vista, so I do not think
there is any problem there; but in Kubuntu the Network
Manager program does not permit me to enter the URL
of my ISP and the required user name and password, etc.

My ISP connection works fine on Kubuntu 7.04 running on
another PC, but not on Kubuntu 7.10 running on the
HP Compaq 6720s notebook PC

I tried running "pppoeconf", but it did not seem to be able
to find any network connection to work with; I forget
the exact message it displayed, but it tried "eth0"
(the hard-wired port) and "eth1" (a wireless port)
and failed to find anything it could use ... something
about "access concentrator", and then just gave up,
i.e., exited back to the command line

If anyone has any advice regarding how to get networking
running on the HP 6720s notebook PC, I shall be
delighted to hear from you

Best regards,

Lawson Hanson