FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Edmund Ĺaugasson
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

> Read the post you replied to. Download the binaries and replace the
> vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar files with the ones you download. Then configure
> vmware. Worked perfectly for me for 2.6.24 generic and server.
>
> Quote from the page mentioned above:
>
> File downloads: vmmon: http://www.mediafire.com/?zizfzmutmnp, vmnet:
> http://www.mediafire.com/?yign2immy0m

So, you mean, that no patching is necessary? Just to replace those modules at
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ ?

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

Edmund Ĺaugasson wrote:
> Patching gave errors:
> $ patch -p1 < vmnet-2.6.24.patch

> patching file vm_basic_types.h
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 163.

There is something seriously wrong with the patches and / or with the
source you are trying to patch. As this hunk failed, it isn't useful to
continue.

> Hunk #2 succeeded at 187 with fuzz 1 (offset 10 lines).
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

That's a strange error - I'm not sure what it means, but at least at this
part the patch is faulty.

> $ patch -p1 < vmmon-2.6.24.patch
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
> patching file include/vcpuset.h
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
> Apply anyway? [n]
> Skipping patch.

Did you apply the patch several times? You shouldn't do that. Start with a
fresh source package to patch. Or maybe the patch isn't meant to be used
with the version of the source you are trying to patch.

> Now running sudo ./vmware-config.pl gave finally the following error
> after numerous of compiling errors (more than 1000 rows, so command
> line history did not fit them):

It doesn't help to run this program if the patches were not 100%
successful.

Sorry, I can't verify the problem because I don't use vmware. But I think
you have a damaged download or incompatible versions of patches and
source. I would first start with a fresh download of both the source and
patches. And if that doesn't work, you could contact the author of the
patch to find out what the problem is.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

Edmund Ĺaugasson wrote:


Read the post you replied to. Download the binaries and replace the
vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar files with the ones you download. Then configure
vmware. Worked perfectly for me for 2.6.24 generic and server.

Quote from the page mentioned above:

File downloads: vmmon: http://www.mediafire.com/?zizfzmutmnp, vmnet:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yign2immy0m



So, you mean, that no patching is necessary? Just to replace those modules at
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ ?



Yup




--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Edmund Ĺaugasson
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

>> $ patch -p1 < vmmon-2.6.24.patch
>> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
>> patching file include/vcpuset.h
>> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
>> Apply anyway? [n]
>> Skipping patch.
>
> Did you apply the patch several times? You shouldn't do that. Start with a
> fresh source package to patch. Or maybe the patch isn't meant to be used
> with the version of the source you are trying to patch.

No, I didn't - I always keep original archive and take fresh source to patch.

>> Now running sudo ./vmware-config.pl gave finally the following error
>> after numerous of compiling errors (more than 1000 rows, so command
>> line history did not fit them):
>
> It doesn't help to run this program if the patches were not 100%
> successful.

I agree. But since I don't have C/C++ programming skills - I just hoped, that perhaps it goes well.

> Sorry, I can't verify the problem because I don't use vmware.

Actually I don't use it either. But I tried to help my friend and install it. He needs seamless
folder sharing between host (Linux) and guest (WinXP, Vista). Usually he and I we are using
VirtualBox but in Virtualbox this does not work if you are not in administrator rights. You have at
first access that share in administrator rights and then it works also as regular user. I know, it
seems like it's not usual behaviour, because usually Windows users are using Windows in
administrator rights. But my friend would like to test several programming tasks in Windows as admin
and as regular user. Purpose is to create some applications and scripts for business usage, where
there cannot be give administrator rights to regular user.

> But I think
> you have a damaged download or incompatible versions of patches and
> source.

As Paul Lemmons said - I need just replace those vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar at
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ with downloaded version and everything should go fine. Currently I
don't have access to that Kubuntu 8.04 machine, because my friend is already sleeping.

> I would first start with a fresh download of both the source and
> patches. And if that doesn't work, you could contact the author of the
> patch to find out what the problem is.

Yeah - it seems like regular behaviour. If that *.tar replacing does not help, I will do that.

Thanks anybody for thinking with me!
Edmund Laugasson

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Malcolm Yates
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

On Friday 09 May 2008 15:31:39 Rob Wright wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> 3 days ago I upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy, and now my VMWare is dead.
> Initially after the upgrade VMWare wouldn't start, so I just scrapped what
> I had and went ahead and updated to the most recent version of VMWare. That
> installed, after doing some patching and such I found on the web, but the
> networking didn't work.
>
> I confess that I don't even know where to go next. I've uninstalled VMWare
> again and now when trying to install it I get an unsolvable string of
> compile errors referencing non-existent kernel modules or they're the wrong
> version.
>
> What is the best way for me to start all over with this, and will it even
> work if I do?
>
If you are not entirely rushed, the best way is to wait for then new packages
to be made available through the Canonical Partner repo

That way you can guarantee that they will work, and no chickens will be harmed
in any additional rituals.

And to preempt your next questions :

We do not necessarily provide new packages across upgrades as they are
dependent on other companies to provide the packages and do the testing. This
can only be done once we have GA'd our release. This is also true ( for
instance ) with Parallels. If you purchase form our store, it is only for
7.10, not 8.04

No, we do not recommend you take the old versions from the previous release of
Ubuntu, as they will not be tested. The only packages tested are those in the
specific release repos.

Yes you can do it all manually, but I can guarantee that there are good
reasons why it may not work ( kernel patches being that main reason )

Malc ( Canonical ISV Alliance Manager )

> Thanks,
>
> Rob
> debianrob@poncacity.net



--
Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com http://www.canonical.com
-------------------
Looking for a Linux Server, desktop or virtual appliance base OS ?
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is perfect for all three
Grusse/Cordialement/Saluti/Saludos/Med Venlig Helsning/Saygilarimla
Office : +44 (0) 207 630 2440
Fax : +44 (0) 207 630 2401
Mail : Canonical Ltd, MillBank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP UK
-------------------

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
MikeJ
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

Malc,

I assume that this same problem applies to Ubuntu and vmware-server? Would
you confirm?

Would you please estimate (hey, I can ask, right?) how long we'll have to
wait for the official supported update to make its way to the partner repo
(days, weeks, months)? It has already been 3 weeks.

Mike


> If you are not entirely rushed, the best way is to wait for then new
> packages
> to be made available through the Canonical Partner repo
>
> That way you can guarantee that they will work, and no chickens will be
> harmed
> in any additional rituals.
>
>

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Hardy-Upgrade-Killed-vmware-server-tp17149302p17577343.html
Sent from the kubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Jordi Ferrando Fabra
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

There is a patch that makes vmware work in hardy.
Google for the file vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz

MikeJ escribi:
> Malc,
>
> I assume that this same problem applies to Ubuntu and vmware-server? Would
> you confirm?
>
> Would you please estimate (hey, I can ask, right?) how long we'll have to
> wait for the official supported update to make its way to the partner repo
> (days, weeks, months)? It has already been 3 weeks.
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>> If you are not entirely rushed, the best way is to wait for then new
>> packages
>> to be made available through the Canonical Partner repo
>>
>> That way you can guarantee that they will work, and no chickens will be
>> harmed
>> in any additional rituals.
>>
>>
>>
>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

Jordi Ferrando Fabra wrote:

There is a patch that makes vmware work in hardy.
Google for the file vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz

MikeJ escribi:


Malc,

I assume that this same problem applies to Ubuntu and vmware-server? Would
you confirm?

Would you please estimate (hey, I can ask, right?) how long we'll have to
wait for the official supported update to make its way to the partner repo
(days, weeks, months)? It has already been 3 weeks.

Mike





If you are not entirely rushed, the best way is to wait for then new
packages
to be made available through the Canonical Partner repo

That way you can guarantee that they will work, and no chickens will be
harmed
in any additional rituals.











Pick up the old thread here:



http://www.nabble.com/Hardy-Upgrade-Killed-vmware-server-td17149302.html



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Cary Bielenberg
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

I run lots of VMware servers all are now on Hardy, I copied the VM's
off & rebuilt the servers. I just cant bring myself to upgrade
production boxes, this is a hangover from watching dismal failures in
Windows & Exchange.





2c Cary



Paul Lemmons wrote:







Jordi Ferrando Fabra wrote:

There is a patch that makes vmware work in hardy.
Google for the file vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz

MikeJ escribi:


Malc,

I assume that this same problem applies to Ubuntu and vmware-server? Would
you confirm?

Would you please estimate (hey, I can ask, right?) how long we'll have to
wait for the official supported update to make its way to the partner repo
(days, weeks, months)? It has already been 3 weeks.

Mike





If you are not entirely rushed, the best way is to wait for then new
packages
to be made available through the Canonical Partner repo

That way you can guarantee that they will work, and no chickens will be
harmed
in any additional rituals.











Pick up the old thread here:



http://www.nabble.com/Hardy-Upgrade-Killed-vmware-server-td17149302.html






--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Jordi Ferrando Fabra
 
Default Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

VMWare Workstation 1.0.4 compiles ok now in Hardy.

Cary Bielenberg escribi:
> I run lots of VMware servers all are now on Hardy, I copied the VM's
> off & rebuilt the servers. I just cant bring myself to upgrade
> production boxes, this is a hangover from watching dismal failures in
> Windows & Exchange.
>
>
> 2c Cary
>
> Paul Lemmons wrote:
>>
>>
>> Jordi Ferrando Fabra wrote:
>>> There is a patch that makes vmware work in hardy.
>>> Google for the file vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz
>>>
>>> MikeJ escribi:
>>>
>>>> Malc,
>>>>
>>>> I assume that this same problem applies to Ubuntu and vmware-server? Would
>>>> you confirm?
>>>>
>>>> Would you please estimate (hey, I can ask, right?) how long we'll have to
>>>> wait for the official supported update to make its way to the partner repo
>>>> (days, weeks, months)? It has already been 3 weeks.
>>>>
>>>> Mike
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> If you are not entirely rushed, the best way is to wait for then new
>>>>> packages
>>>>> to be made available through the Canonical Partner repo
>>>>>
>>>>> That way you can guarantee that they will work, and no chickens will be
>>>>> harmed
>>>>> in any additional rituals.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Pick up the old thread here:
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/Hardy-Upgrade-Killed-vmware-server-td17149302.html


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org