-   -   apt-get update (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/84221-apt-get-update.html)

"Willy Hamra" 05-08-2008 07:59 AM

apt-get update

hi,
when i do a "sudo apt-get update", down at the bottom i get
Reading package lists... Done

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-proposed Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used.GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-backports Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-backports/Release

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2* Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-updates/universe/source/Sources.bz2* Hash Sum mismatch

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
is that normal? if not, how can i resolve it?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

"Donny George" 11-11-2008 02:37 PM

apt-get update

hello

when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it returns an error

Err http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg

404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 80]

Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release

Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages

Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/restricted Packages

Err http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages

404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 80]

Err http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/restricted Packages

404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 80]

can someone help me with this

don

Ray Parrish 11-11-2008 05:00 PM

apt-get update

Hello,

I'm not real sure why those urls are returning an error, but I do note
that you are trying to update Hardy from the Dapper repositories. Why?
That wouldn't really be an update from the repository for the older
version of Ubuntu.

I can't for the life of me remember where the software sources file
resides or it's name. I just tried the Software Sources program on the
System menu, but it's not showing me the repository urls, which is what
I was going to paste in here for you.

Ok, I found it! It is located in /etc/apt/sources.lst and here is what
the contents should look like for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy.

*start of file*
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/ hardy
main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
*end of file*

Put that into your sources.lst file and you will be able to get updates
that apply to Hardy instead of Dapper.

Later, Ray Parrish

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it returns an error
>
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper
> Release.gpg
> 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper Release
> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main
> Packages
> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper/restricted Packages
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main
> Packages
> 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper/restricted Packages
> 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
>
> can someone help me with this
>

> don

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Steven Davies-Morris 11-11-2008 05:07 PM

apt-get update

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it returns an error
>
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper
> Release.gpg 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54>
> 80] Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper Release Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages Ign
> http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper/restricted Packages Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages 404 Not found
> [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80] Err
> http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> dapper/restricted Packages 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54
> <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
>
> can someone help me with this
>

> don

You are trying to online upgrade a Dapper system directly to Hardy?

First there's the issue of such a big jump in releases being a bad
idea. You're bypassing E, F & G. Is that even doable?

Second, to do an online upgrade you must be pointing to the correct
repositories. Your system is still looking for the Dapper archives,
which have been retired for sometime.

Putting aside the issue of jumping all the way from Dapper to Hardy
(which I'd be wary of doing even if it can be executed), you need to
open up (as root) /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all occurrences
of "dapper" with "hardy". Use your favourite editor:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Or alternatively use sed, if you're comfortable with it:

sudo sed -i "s/dapper/hardy/" /etc/apt/sources.list

Either way you go, back up your sources.list before changing it. Once
done you can:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Personally I wouldn't make such a huge rev level jump, but if you're
going to attempt it that's the mechanics of what you need to do.
NP: nothing

Steven Davies-Morris 11-11-2008 05:11 PM

apt-get update

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Donny George wrote:
>> hello
>>
>> when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it returns an error
>>
>> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper
>> Release.gpg 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54>
>> 80] Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
>> dapper Release Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com
>> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages Ign
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
>> dapper/restricted Packages Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
>> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages 404 Not found
>> [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80] Err
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
>> dapper/restricted Packages 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54
>> <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
>>
>> can someone help me with this
>>

>> don
>
> You are trying to online upgrade a Dapper system directly to Hardy?
>
> First there's the issue of such a big jump in releases being a bad
> idea. You're bypassing E, F & G. Is that even doable?
>
> Second, to do an online upgrade you must be pointing to the correct
> repositories. Your system is still looking for the Dapper archives,
> which have been retired for sometime.
>
> Putting aside the issue of jumping all the way from Dapper to Hardy
> (which I'd be wary of doing even if it can be executed), you need to
> open up (as root) /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all occurrences
> of "dapper" with "hardy". Use your favourite editor:
>
> sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Or alternatively use sed, if you're comfortable with it:
>
> sudo sed -i "s/dapper/hardy/" /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Either way you go, back up your sources.list before changing it. Once
> done you can:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Personally I wouldn't make such a huge rev level jump, but if you're
> going to attempt it that's the mechanics of what you need to do.

My bad. Everywhere I typed /etc/apt/sources.list it should have been
/etc/apt/sources.lst. No "i". Sorry.
NP: nothing

"Donny George" 11-11-2008 05:11 PM

apt-get update

hey ray

i dont know why the update goes to dapper though my version is hardy and all i put is the apt-get update command

but i will soon compare the sources.lst file

thanks

don

Leonard Chatagnier 11-11-2008 07:13 PM

apt-get update

> >> when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it
> returns an error
> >>
> >> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper
> >> Release.gpg 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54
> <http://195.248.90.54>
> >> 80] Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> >> dapper Release Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com
> >> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main
> Packages Ign
> >> http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> >> dapper/restricted Packages Err
> http://archive.ubuntu.com
> >> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main
> Packages 404 Not found
> >> [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54>
> 80] Err
> >> http://archive.ubuntu.com
> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> >> dapper/restricted Packages 404 Not found [IP:
> 195.248.90.54
> >> <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
> >>
> >> can someone help me with this
> >>

> >> don
> >
> > You are trying to online upgrade a Dapper system
> directly to Hardy?
> >
> > First there's the issue of such a big jump in
> releases being a bad
> > idea. You're bypassing E, F & G. Is that even
> doable?
> >
> > Second, to do an online upgrade you must be pointing
> to the correct
> > repositories. Your system is still looking for the
> Dapper archives,
> > which have been retired for sometime.
> >
> > Putting aside the issue of jumping all the way from
> Dapper to Hardy
> > (which I'd be wary of doing even if it can be
> executed), you need to
> > open up (as root) /etc/apt/sources.list and replace
> all occurrences
> > of "dapper" with "hardy". Use your
> favourite editor:
> >
> > sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > Or alternatively use sed, if you're comfortable
> with it:
> >
> > sudo sed -i "s/dapper/hardy/"
> /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > Either way you go, back up your sources.list before
> changing it. Once
> > done you can:
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > Personally I wouldn't make such a huge rev level
> jump, but if you're
> > going to attempt it that's the mechanics of what
> you need to do.
>
> My bad. Everywhere I typed /etc/apt/sources.list it should
> have been
> /etc/apt/sources.lst. No "i". Sorry.
> --
Are you sure about that? It's always been "sources.list" for me all the way back to Debian Woody through Ubuntu Hardy.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Robert Holtzman 11-11-2008 07:33 PM

apt-get update

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

> My bad. Everywhere I typed /etc/apt/sources.list it should have been
> /etc/apt/sources.lst. No "i". Sorry.

Don't know about Dapper but on my Hardy installation it's sources.list.

--
Bob Holtzman
A day without fusion is like, a day without sunshine

Charlie Kravetz 11-11-2008 07:55 PM

apt-get update

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:07:16 -0800
Steven Davies-Morris <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:

> Donny George wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > when i try to apt-get update the ubuntu 8.04 it returns an error
> >
> > Err http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper
> > Release.gpg 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54>
> > 80] Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> > dapper Release Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com
> > <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages Ign
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> > dapper/restricted Packages Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
> > <http://archive.ubuntu.com/> dapper/main Packages 404 Not found
> > [IP: 195.248.90.54 <http://195.248.90.54> 80] Err
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com <http://archive.ubuntu.com/>
> > dapper/restricted Packages 404 Not found [IP: 195.248.90.54
> > <http://195.248.90.54> 80]
> >
> > can someone help me with this
> >

> > don
>
> You are trying to online upgrade a Dapper system directly to Hardy?
>
> First there's the issue of such a big jump in releases being a bad
> idea. You're bypassing E, F & G. Is that even doable?
>
> Second, to do an online upgrade you must be pointing to the correct
> repositories. Your system is still looking for the Dapper archives,
> which have been retired for sometime.
>
> Putting aside the issue of jumping all the way from Dapper to Hardy
> (which I'd be wary of doing even if it can be executed), you need to
> open up (as root) /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all occurrences
> of "dapper" with "hardy". Use your favourite editor:
>
> sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Or alternatively use sed, if you're comfortable with it:
>
> sudo sed -i "s/dapper/hardy/" /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Either way you go, back up your sources.list before changing it. Once
> done you can:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Personally I wouldn't make such a huge rev level jump, but if you're
> going to attempt it that's the mechanics of what you need to do.

Yes, it should be possible. Dapper was the 6.06 LTS and Hardy is 8.04
LTS. That makes it a direct upgrade from LTS to LTS. It's the only time
you can jump versions.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Ray Parrish 11-11-2008 08:11 PM

apt-get update

Yep, I made the mistake in my post... it should have been sources.list,
not .lst... Sorry about that.

Later, Ray Parrish