Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Mario Vukelic

Default apt-get update

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 10:07 -0800, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Either way you go, back up your sources.list before changing it. Once
> done you can:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Personally I wouldn't make such a huge rev level jump, but if you're
> going to attempt it that's the mechanics of what you need to do.

No, it is not. It can work if you know really well what you are doing
(but is very likely to cause major problems when doing an LTS->LTS
jump), but it is not officially supported and receives little to no
testing

These are the mechanics, for *any* OS installation/upgrade: read release
notes, ponder, follow instructions.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810 which links to
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- On Tue, 11/11/08, Steven Davies-Morris <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>> My bad. Everywhere I typed /etc/apt/sources.list it should
>> have been
>> /etc/apt/sources.lst. No "i". Sorry.
>> --
> Are you sure about that? It's always been "sources.list" for me all the way back to Debian Woody through Ubuntu Hardy.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Oooops. Serves me right for not checking that before I "corrected"
myself!
NP: nothing

Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>
>> My bad. Everywhere I typed /etc/apt/sources.list it should have been
>> /etc/apt/sources.lst. No "i". Sorry.
>
> Don't know about Dapper but on my Hardy installation it's sources.list.

Yup. It is. Early-onset brain-lock apparently.
NP: nothing

Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Dirk Hombrecher

Hi folks,
since yesterday I can't do apt-get update, either aptitude update

following excerpt of messages in German

Fehl http://debian.netcologne.de wheezy Release.gpg
Verbindung fehlgeschlagen
Fehl http://ftp.de.debian.org wheezy Release.gpg
Verbindung fehlgeschlagen

Please advice,
Dirk

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Enrico Polesel

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:47:03 +0200, Dirk Hombrecher wrote:

> since yesterday I can't do apt-get update, either aptitude update
>
> following excerpt of messages in German
>
> Fehl http://debian.netcologne.de wheezy Release.gpg
> Verbindung fehlgeschlagen
> Fehl http://ftp.de.debian.org wheezy Release.gpg
> Verbindung fehlgeschlagen

Better if you get the output in English:

LANG=C apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

> Please advice,

If the above translates into "connection failed" or the like, it looks
like a network problem on your side or a transient error because both
hosts/files can be reached from here. Try later or choose a different
server.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón