FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

Wagner Ferreira wrote:

> Yo, guys !

Yo???

Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by using "reply" when you have a
completely different problem.

> I'm having a big problem trying to reach my Kubuntu machine from an
> Windows machine using Cygwin or even any other Linux machine. When I try
> to access that, the grey X screen appears, but the mouse doesn't move, and
> there's no login screen.
>
> Does kubuntu have any other configurations that must me made to permit the
> remote access?

What are you actually trying to do? What command are you executing.
The "grey X screen" implies to me that you're not actually trying to run an
X app in the Cygwin X server, but actually trying to run a display manager.
In which case there'd be restrictions...
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Wagner Ferreira
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

Ok.

*

I'm doing the following:

*

*

1) WinXP machine tries to reach Kubuntu machine

*

- on XP machine, Cygwin-X is installed, and when i use the "X --query 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears

*

*

2) Another linux machine (Debian with X installed) tries to reach Kubuntu machine


- using the "X --query 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears

*

*

Tks,

*


Wagner Ferreira
Informática*& Networking
(11)7642-7980
(11)8524-8764
wagner.tec.inf@hotmail.com








> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> From: news@pointerstop.ca
> Subject: Re: Remote acess from a Windows Machine
> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 13:33:09 -0300
>
> Wagner Ferreira wrote:
>
> > Yo, guys !
>
> Yo???
>
> Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by using "reply" when you have a
> completely different problem.
>
> > I'm having a big problem trying to reach my Kubuntu machine from an
> > Windows machine using Cygwin or even any other Linux machine. When I try
> > to access that, the grey X screen appears, but the mouse doesn't move, and
> > there's no login screen.
> >
> > Does kubuntu have any other configurations that must me made to permit the
> > remote access?
>
> What are you actually trying to do? What command are you executing.
> The "grey X screen" implies to me that you're not actually trying to run an
> X app in the Cygwin X server, but actually trying to run a display manager.
> In which case there'd be restrictions...
> --
> derek
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger* Get it now!
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Eric
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Wagner Ferreira wrote:
>
>> Yo, guys !
>
> Yo???
>
> Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by using "reply" when you have a
> completely different problem.
>
>> I'm having a big problem trying to reach my Kubuntu machine from an
>> Windows machine using Cygwin or even any other Linux machine. When I try
>> to access that, the grey X screen appears, but the mouse doesn't move, and
>> there's no login screen.
>>
>> Does kubuntu have any other configurations that must me made to permit the
>> remote access?
>
> What are you actually trying to do? What command are you executing.
> The "grey X screen" implies to me that you're not actually trying to run an
> X app in the Cygwin X server, but actually trying to run a display manager.
> In which case there'd be restrictions...


Have you tried using SSH? Or on Windows, have you tried Putty? I've
never tried SSH on Windows but I have used it on several different Linux
distros and on a Mac. Putty is a front end for SSH that runs on Windows
and linux. SSH is very easy to configure on a Mac or on linux so I guess
it's easy to configure on Windows. As Derek said, you didn't give much
information on what you are trying to do.

Eric Jackson


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
"Michael Leone"
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Eric <ejazzkatt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried using SSH? Or on Windows, have you tried Putty? I've
> never tried SSH on Windows but I have used it on several different Linux
> distros and on a Mac. Putty is a front end for SSH that runs on Windows
> and linux. SSH is very easy to configure on a Mac or on linux so I guess
> it's easy to configure on Windows. As Derek said, you didn't give much
> information on what you are trying to do.

PuTTY won't give him a GUI environment, if that's what he wants (and
if he's running CygWin-X on a WinXP machine, what he probably wants is
to see GUI desktop from his Linux server).


--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

PGP Fingerprint: 0AA8 DC47 CB63 AE3F C739 6BF9 9AB4 1EF6 5AA5 BCDF
Photo Gallery: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeleonephotos>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Eric
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

Wagner Ferreira wrote:
> Ok.
>
> I'm doing the following:
>
>
> 1) WinXP machine tries to reach Kubuntu machine
>
> - on XP machine, Cygwin-X is installed, and when i use the "X --query
> 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears
>
>
> 2) Another linux machine (Debian with X installed) tries to reach
> Kubuntu machine
>
> - using the "X --query 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears

I admit I don't really know what this command does. But I'm guessing
that you are trying to get graphical access to your other computer.
After you've configured SSH on your computer you can use Konq and Fish.
Just enter Fish://user name@ip address of the machine you want to
connect to. That should give you a graphical display between the two
computers running linux.

Eric Jackson



>
>
> Tks,
>
>
> *Wagner Ferreira*
> *Informática & Networking*
> (11)7642-7980
> (11)8524-8764
> wagner.tec.inf@hotmail.com <mailto:wagner.tec.inf@hotmail.com>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > From: news@pointerstop.ca
> > Subject: Re: Remote acess from a Windows Machine
> > Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 13:33:09 -0300
> >
> > Wagner Ferreira wrote:
> >
> > > Yo, guys !
> >
> > Yo???
> >
> > Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by using "reply" when you
> have a
> > completely different problem.
> >
> > > I'm having a big problem trying to reach my Kubuntu machine from an
> > > Windows machine using Cygwin or even any other Linux machine. When
> I try
> > > to access that, the grey X screen appears, but the mouse doesn't
> move, and
> > > there's no login screen.
> > >
> > > Does kubuntu have any other configurations that must me made to
> permit the
> > > remote access?
> >
> > What are you actually trying to do? What command are you executing.
> > The "grey X screen" implies to me that you're not actually trying to
> run an
> > X app in the Cygwin X server, but actually trying to run a display
> manager.
> > In which case there'd be restrictions...
> > --
> > derek
> >
> >
> > --
> > kubuntu-users mailing list
> > kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger Get it now!
> <http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

Wagner Ferreira wrote:
> I'm doing the following:
> 1) WinXP machine tries to reach Kubuntu machine
>
> - on XP machine, Cygwin-X is installed, and when i use the "X --query
> 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears
>
>
> 2) Another linux machine (Debian with X installed) tries to reach
> Kubuntu machine - using the "X --query 192.168.0.1", the grey screen
> appears

Kubuntu doesn't listen for X connections by default. You have to configure
it first. Maybe someone else can tell you how to do it?


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Remote acess from a Windows Machine

Wagner Ferreira wrote:

> Ok.
>
> I'm doing the following:
>
>
> 1) WinXP machine tries to reach Kubuntu machine
>
> - on XP machine, Cygwin-X is installed, and when i use the "X --query
> 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears
>
>
> 2) Another linux machine (Debian with X installed) tries to reach Kubuntu
> machine - using the "X --query 192.168.0.1", the grey screen appears

Right. That looks predictable. I'm not at all sure whether it's _right_
but the query parameter says to contact 192.168.0.1 for an XDMCP
connection, and XDMCP is disabled by default on all Linuxes that I know of.

Unfortunately, there are at least two, maybe three, places you need to
change defaults, depending on your display manager. For Kubuntu, KDE3, it
should be in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org