Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default xrandr and external monitor

I am trying to get an external monitor (LCD) working properly on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.

It has an Fn-F8 combo which should switch/cycle between the laptop screen and the external
one.
Fn-F8 only works, according to the folks at Dell, with Gnome. They suggested that I try
xrandr.

I have read the man page but can only get a clone of my laptop with the same resolution on
both screens. This makes the windows on the laptop too long (so I can't see the bottom of
them). On the external monitor things look OK.
This was using 'xrandr --auto'
I would like to be able to keep my default resolution on the laptop (1280x800) and have
1024x768 on the external monitor. Is this possible?
Every time I try to set individual resolutions xrandr comes back with an error similar to:

nigel@laptop:~$ xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA --fb 1024x768 --output TMDS-1 --off
xrandr: specified screen 1024x768 not large enough for output LVDS (1280x800+0+0)
nigel@laptop:~$ xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA --fb 1280x800 --output TMDS-1 --off
nigel@laptop:~$ xrandr --output LVDS --fb 1280x800+0+0 --output VGA --auto --output TMDS-1
--off
xrandr: specified screen 1280x800 not large enough for output VGA (1280x1024+0+0)

Here is the output of 'xrandr':

nigel@laptop:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 1280
VGA connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
1280x1024 60.0 + 75.0
1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 75.0 72.8 66.7 60.0
720x400 70.1
LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
1280x800 60.0*+ 60.0 60.0*
1280x768 60.0
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3
640x480 59.9
TMDS-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Is there a way to have different resolutions for the different screens? And to be able to
cycle between them - 1. Laptop only; 2. external only; 3. both ?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/5/7 Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il>:
> I am trying to get an external monitor (LCD) working properly on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
>
> It has an Fn-F8 combo which should switch/cycle between the laptop screen and the external
> one.
> Fn-F8 only works, according to the folks at Dell, with Gnome. They suggested that I try
> xrandr.
>
> I have read the man page but can only get a clone of my laptop with the same resolution on
> both screens. This makes the windows on the laptop too long (so I can't see the bottom of
> them). On the external monitor things look OK.
> This was using 'xrandr --auto'
> I would like to be able to keep my default resolution on the laptop (1280x800) and have
> 1024x768 on the external monitor. Is this possible?

Hi

One way to use two monitors (if your hardware supports it) is to
configure your xorg.conf to use Xinerama or if you have an nvidia card
Twinview. In case of Nvidia you can use the nvidia-xconfig GUI to
configure your xorg.conf.

/ Jonas

Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Nigel Ridley

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/5/7 Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il>:
>> I am trying to get an external monitor (LCD) working properly on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
>>
>> It has an Fn-F8 combo which should switch/cycle between the laptop screen and the external
>> one.
>> Fn-F8 only works, according to the folks at Dell, with Gnome. They suggested that I try
>> xrandr.
>>
>> I have read the man page but can only get a clone of my laptop with the same resolution on
>> both screens. This makes the windows on the laptop too long (so I can't see the bottom of
>> them). On the external monitor things look OK.
>> This was using 'xrandr --auto'
>> I would like to be able to keep my default resolution on the laptop (1280x800) and have
>> 1024x768 on the external monitor. Is this possible?
>
> Hi
>
> One way to use two monitors (if your hardware supports it) is to
> configure your xorg.conf to use Xinerama or if you have an nvidia card
> Twinview. In case of Nvidia you can use the nvidia-xconfig GUI to
> configure your xorg.conf.
>
> / Jonas

According to sourceforge > Xinerama: As of 2007-09-20 10:44, this project is no longer
under active development.

There is an option under System Settings to enable another monitor. I am reluctant to go
that way as the whole point of a laptop + external monitor/screen, is that it will
probably change depending where the laptop is; ie. giving a presentation at a conference
using a projector, and then at another venue using a different projector/screen.

I did actually connect the external monitor, then restart X and it looked pretty good on
both screens.

Blessings,

Nigel