FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Nigel Ridley
 
Default Key bindings for Fn-F8 (laptop)

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I can't get the Fn-F8 combo to initiate or switch between
the laptop screen and an external one.

I did write to linux-desktops@lists.us.dell.com and this is the last reply:

Nigel,

This FN-F8 feature is gnome specific at the the moment, which would
explain why you don't have it working. Your best bet is to try to bind
the combination to something feasible for output in Kubuntu such as
'xrandr --auto'. Sorry, I can't provide details on how to do that as
I'm not familiar with KDE.

Regards,

Mario Limonciello
Dell | Linux Engineering
mario_limonciello@dell.com

How can I set up key binding for the Fn-F8 combo so that it will cycle between the laptop
screen and an external LCD?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Joe Burgess
 
Default Key bindings for Fn-F8 (laptop)

I don't know much avout the screen switching thing, but as far as key
binding goes I know you can do it in system settings > keyboard and
mouse. You might have to add an item to your K menu that just runs
xrandr --auto so that you can bind keys to that menu item.

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I can't get the Fn-F8 combo to initiate or switch between
> the laptop screen and an external one.
>
> I did write to linux-desktops@lists.us.dell.com and this is the last reply:
>
> Nigel,
>
> This FN-F8 feature is gnome specific at the the moment, which would
> explain why you don't have it working. Your best bet is to try to bind
> the combination to something feasible for output in Kubuntu such as
> 'xrandr --auto'. Sorry, I can't provide details on how to do that as
> I'm not familiar with KDE.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mario Limonciello
> Dell | Linux Engineering
> mario_limonciello@dell.com
>
> How can I set up key binding for the Fn-F8 combo so that it will cycle between the laptop
> screen and an external LCD?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Key bindings for Fn-F8 (laptop)

Joe Burgess wrote:
> I don't know much avout the screen switching thing, but as far as key
> binding goes I know you can do it in system settings > keyboard and
> mouse. You might have to add an item to your K menu that just runs
> xrandr --auto so that you can bind keys to that menu item.
>
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I can't get the Fn-F8 combo to initiate or switch between
>> the laptop screen and an external one.
>>
>> I did write to linux-desktops@lists.us.dell.com and this is the last reply:
>>
>> Nigel,
>>
>> This FN-F8 feature is gnome specific at the the moment, which would
>> explain why you don't have it working. Your best bet is to try to bind
>> the combination to something feasible for output in Kubuntu such as
>> 'xrandr --auto'. Sorry, I can't provide details on how to do that as
>> I'm not familiar with KDE.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mario Limonciello
>> Dell | Linux Engineering
>> mario_limonciello@dell.com
>>
>> How can I set up key binding for the Fn-F8 combo so that it will cycle between the laptop
>> screen and an external LCD?
>>

This might point you in the right direction. I seem to recall an article
in Linux magazine regarding this, will check at home later
http://www.linux.com/feature/118179

Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Paul S
 
Default Key bindings for Fn-F8 (laptop)

O. Sinclair said the following on 05/07/2008 09:15 AM:
> This might point you in the right direction. I seem to recall an article
> in Linux magazine regarding this, will check at home later
> http://www.linux.com/feature/118179

Thanks for the great tip. I finally figured out how to get my dell
E1505 Fn-F10 eject to work!

regards,


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org