Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Wulfy

Default Configure Konqi as default file manager

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I configure KDE so that konqueror is the default file manager?
> Kcontrol -> Default Applications had nothing relevant, and neither did
> the Konqueror nor D3lphin menus. I am using KDE 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 8.04.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen
KControl -> File Associations/inode/directory and .../system_directory

Add Konqueror to the list (or move it up if it's there).

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 05-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Karl Klinger

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I configure KDE so that konqueror is the default file manager?
> Kcontrol -> Default Applications had nothing relevant, and neither did
> the Konqueror nor D3lphin menus. I am using KDE 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 8.04.
> Thanks in advance.

I don't know if there's an easier way, but this is how I did it:

Kcontrol -> Default Applications -> File Associations
Select inode -> directory
Click on Konqueror and move it to the top.

Karl

Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Nigel Ridley

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I configure KDE so that konqueror is the default file manager?
> Kcontrol -> Default Applications had nothing relevant, and neither did
> the Konqueror nor D3lphin menus. I am using KDE 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 8.04.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Open Konqueror, click on 'Settings' > 'Configure Konqueror' > 'File Associations' >
'inode' - select directory and system_directory and in the 'Application
preference order' list move Konqueror above Dolphin.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Thanks, all, for the tips. Done!

Maybe when D3lphin gets tabs (already in CVS) I'll give it another shot.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
"Willy Hamra"

why dont you remove it in the first place? i always "sudo aptget remove dolphin", the moment i install the system, whether gutsy or now hardy.

2008/5/6 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

Thanks, all, for the tips. Done!

Maybe when D3lphin gets tabs (already in CVS) I'll give it another shot.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/6 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:
> why dont you remove it in the first place? i always "sudo aptget remove
> dolphin", the moment i install the system, whether gutsy or now hardy.

Because I actually think that KDE needs a simpler file manager. Not
for myself, but for the people that I install Linux for and I see how
they get stuck. I want to be familiar with Dolphin, but not to use it
for my own work.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Pete

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/5/6 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:

> why dont you remove it in the first place? i always "sudo aptget remove

> dolphin", the moment i install the system, whether gutsy or now hardy.

Because I actually think that KDE needs a simpler file manager. Not

for myself, but for the people that I install Linux for and I see how

they get stuck. I want to be familiar with Dolphin, but not to use it

for my own work.

Dotan Cohen
Really? From what I've observed, it seems to be the other way around. Konqueror resembles Windows Explorer (at least superficially), so most people can at least find their way around in it. Dolphin, OTOH, doesn't really resemble anything that Joe User is familiar with (leaving aside comparisons with Nautilus).

just another datapoint floating in the sea-
pete

Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Pete

Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Klinger wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> How can I configure KDE so that konqueror is the default file manager?
>> Kcontrol -> Default Applications had nothing relevant, and neither did
>> the Konqueror nor D3lphin menus. I am using KDE 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 8.04.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
> I don't know if there's an easier way, but this is how I did it:
>
> Kcontrol -> Default Applications -> File Associations
> Select inode -> directory
> Click on Konqueror and move it to the top.

Easier, I don't know, but I would think that's the _right_ way (short of
just removing that darn d3lphin).
--
derek

Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/5/6 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:
>> why dont you remove it in the first place? i always "sudo aptget remove
>> dolphin", the moment i install the system, whether gutsy or now hardy.
>>

> Because I actually think that KDE needs a simpler file manager. Not
> for myself, but for the people that I install Linux for and I see how
> they get stuck. I want to be familiar with Dolphin, but not to use it
> for my own work.

It's good enough for _ordinary_ people :-)
--
derek