Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Default Adobe Flash player problem with Firefox 3.0 beta

I've run into a problem with installing the Adobe Flash player on
Firefox 3.0 beta, which was installed when I upgraded to Hardy. When I
try to install the plug-in, I get an error:

"Firefox could not install this item because "install-wfd.rdf" (provided
by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Pleaase contact the
author about this problem."

When I went to the Adobe site, I saw they had a downloadable tar-ball
for the flash player, but I can't seem to figure out where the path is
to the right executable to Firefox.

Any ideas on how to get this resolved?

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means
government by the badly educated." -- G.K. Chesterton

Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 PM
"Dana J. Laude"

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I've run into a problem with installing the Adobe Flash player on
> Firefox 3.0 beta, which was installed when I upgraded to Hardy. When I
> try to install the plug-in, I get an error:
>
> "Firefox could not install this item because "install-wfd.rdf" (provided
> by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Pleaase contact the
> author about this problem."
>
> When I went to the Adobe site, I saw they had a downloadable tar-ball
> for the flash player, but I can't seem to figure out where the path is
> to the right executable to Firefox.
>
> Any ideas on how to get this resolved?

Just untar the archive and copy the file libflashplayer.so. Like:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins

You might have to create the browser-plugins directory.

cd /usr/lib
sudo mkdir browser-plugins

Worked for me, hope this helps.

Dana

Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 AM
David McGlone

On Monday 05 May 2008 6:10:27 pm Dana J. Laude wrote:
> Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > I've run into a problem with installing the Adobe Flash player on
> > Firefox 3.0 beta, which was installed when I upgraded to Hardy. When I
> > try to install the plug-in, I get an error:
> >
> > "Firefox could not install this item because "install-wfd.rdf" (provided
> > by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Pleaase contact the
> > author about this problem."
> >
> > When I went to the Adobe site, I saw they had a downloadable tar-ball
> > for the flash player, but I can't seem to figure out where the path is
> > to the right executable to Firefox.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get this resolved?
>
> Just untar the archive and copy the file libflashplayer.so. Like:
>
> sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins
>
> You might have to create the browser-plugins directory.
>
> cd /usr/lib
> sudo mkdir browser-plugins
>
> Worked for me, hope this helps.

Or you can also untar it in /home/.mozilla/plugins

Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 AM
David McGlone

On Monday 05 May 2008 9:18:10 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008 6:10:27 pm Dana J. Laude wrote:
> > Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > > I've run into a problem with installing the Adobe Flash player on
> > > Firefox 3.0 beta, which was installed when I upgraded to Hardy. When I
> > > try to install the plug-in, I get an error:
> > >
> > > "Firefox could not install this item because "install-wfd.rdf"
> > > (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Pleaase
> > > contact the author about this problem."
> > >
> > > When I went to the Adobe site, I saw they had a downloadable tar-ball
> > > for the flash player, but I can't seem to figure out where the path is
> > > to the right executable to Firefox.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how to get this resolved?
> >
> > Just untar the archive and copy the file libflashplayer.so. Like:
> >
> > sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins
> >
> > You might have to create the browser-plugins directory.
> >
> > cd /usr/lib
> > sudo mkdir browser-plugins
> >
> > Worked for me, hope this helps.
>
> Or you can also untar it in /home/.mozilla/plugins

Ah sheesh, I meant /home/user/...........

Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 AM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008 9:18:10 pm David McGlone wrote:

>>> Just untar the archive and copy the file libflashplayer.so. Like:
>>>
>>> sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins
>>>
>>> You might have to create the browser-plugins directory.
>>>
>>> cd /usr/lib
>>> sudo mkdir browser-plugins
>>>
>>> Worked for me, hope this helps.
>>>
>> Or you can also untar it in /home/.mozilla/plugins
>>

> Ah sheesh, I meant /home/user/..........
Somehow I knew what you meant.<g>

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
way to factor large prime numbers" - Bill Gates, The Road Ahead