Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
John Hansen

Default Guide to Kubuntu filing needed

I mainly use Kubuntu to access the Internet. I would like to use it for
other purposes but am unsure about the folders and file system which
varies from Windows.
Is there a straight forward guide which will help me understand this?

John

Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
"Phil Bieber"

On Nov 29, 2007 1:15 PM, John Hansen <whitover-1@btconnect.com> wrote:
> I mainly use Kubuntu to access the Internet. I would like to use it for
> other purposes but am unsure about the folders and file system which
> varies from Windows.
> Is there a straight forward guide which will help me understand this?
>
> John

Hi!
Basically, everything underneath /home/<YourUsername> is at your
disposal and you can save stuff there. Just pay attention to the
folders starting with a dot ( . ) because they normally refer to
application settings and ought to be left alone. Furthermore, here are
a few examples of folders:
/ -> The Root Directory, everything resides underneath this root.
/home/ -> Directories for user-data
/bin/ and many other folders containing "bin" -> executables are
stored or linked here, when you type a command in a shell (like the
Dos-Box in Windows), it searches these folders for programs.
/etc/ -> Contains system-wide configurations for services, and
administrative tools and such, and settigns that are the same for all
users.

I hope that helps you, if not, don't hesitate to come back, and ask again!
Have a good day!
Cheers
Philipp Bieber

--
Are there any experienced suicide bombers?

You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.

GPG KEY ID: 7C26EE5B0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301

Old 11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Wulfy

John Hansen wrote:
> I mainly use Kubuntu to access the Internet. I would like to use it for
> other purposes but am unsure about the folders and file system which
> varies from Windows.
> Is there a straight forward guide which will help me understand this?
>
> John

Try <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard> - a
good place to start. There are links on the page for more detailed
reading if you need such. :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Terence Simpson

John Hansen wrote:
> I mainly use Kubuntu to access the Internet. I would like to use it for
> other purposes but am unsure about the folders and file system which
> varies from Windows.
> Is there a straight forward guide which will help me understand this?
>
> John

This is another good overview from the Ubuntu comminity:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxFilesystemTreeOverview>

Terence