Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
"Jorge Pérez"

Default problem at fresh instalation

Hello,

Actually I have Kubuntu 7.10 running for some time (I just did an upgrade from previus versions) and all works fine. I have 2 IDE hard disks:

/dev/sda partitions -> documents
/dev/sdb partitions -> / , /home, Win XP, Swap

Some time ago, my motherboard broke well, I just replace the motherboard and didn't have to install Kubuntu (so great).

But now, I want to perform a fresh Kubuntu 8.04 install, but when I am in the manual partition step, I only have the posibility of change the SDA disk partitions and can only create a new partition table on the SDB (the installer can't see the partitions in SDB), but I don't want to delete my /home or my XP partiton.

any idea? how can I fix the partition in order to be recognized by the Kubuntu partition manager?

thank you.
--
Jorge

Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Martin Laberge

On Sunday 04 May 2008 12:48:17 pm Jorge Pérez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Actually I have Kubuntu 7.10 running for some time (I just did an upgrade
> from previus versions) and all works fine. I have 2 IDE hard disks:
>
> /dev/sda partitions -> documents
> /dev/sdb partitions -> / , /home, Win XP, Swap
>
> Some time ago, my motherboard broke well, I just replace the motherboard
> and didn't have to install Kubuntu (so great).
>
> But now, I want to perform a fresh Kubuntu 8.04 install, but when I am in
> the manual partition step, I only have the posibility of change the SDA disk
> partitions and can only create a new partition table on the SDB (the
> installer can't see the partitions in SDB), but I don't want to delete my
> /home or my XP partiton.
>
> any idea? how can I fix the partition in order to be recognized by the
> Kubuntu partition manager?
>
> thank you.

I recommend to swap your drives, so that your boot drive is sda
and your documents are on sdb

this way is more 'natural' and normally expected by most systems.

(just change the jumpers on both drives, and maybe swap cables)

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Billie Walsh

Jorge Pérez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Actually I have Kubuntu 7.10 running for some time (I just did an
> upgrade from previus versions) and all works fine. I have 2 IDE hard
> disks:
>
> /dev/sda partitions -> documents
> /dev/sdb partitions -> / , /home, Win XP, Swap
>
> Some time ago, my motherboard broke well, I just replace the
> motherboard and didn't have to install Kubuntu (so great).
>
> But now, I want to perform a fresh Kubuntu 8.04 install, but when I am
> in the manual partition step, I only have the posibility of change the
> SDA disk partitions and can only create a new partition table on the
> SDB (the installer can't see the partitions in SDB), but I don't want
> to delete my /home or my XP partiton.
>
> any idea? how can I fix the partition in order to be recognized by the
> Kubuntu partition manager?
>
> thank you.
>
> --
> Jorge

Usually if I'm setting up a dual boot with XP I will use "Computer
Management" in XP to set up the partitions I want. I just delete/make
the partitions but not formatted.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
alan c

Martin Laberge wrote:
> On Sunday 04 May 2008 12:48:17 pm Jorge PĂ©rez wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Actually I have Kubuntu 7.10 running for some time (I just did an upgrade
>> from previus versions) and all works fine. I have 2 IDE hard disks:
>>
>> /dev/sda partitions -> documents
>> /dev/sdb partitions -> / , /home, Win XP, Swap
>>
>> Some time ago, my motherboard broke well, I just replace the motherboard
>> and didn't have to install Kubuntu (so great).
>>
>> But now, I want to perform a fresh Kubuntu 8.04 install, but when I am in
>> the manual partition step, I only have the posibility of change the SDA disk
>> partitions and can only create a new partition table on the SDB (the
>> installer can't see the partitions in SDB), but I don't want to delete my
>> /home or my XP partiton.
>>
>> any idea? how can I fix the partition in order to be recognized by the
>> Kubuntu partition manager?
>>
>> thank you.
>>

> I recommend to swap your drives, so that your boot drive is sda
> and your documents are on sdb
>
> this way is more 'natural' and normally expected by most systems.
>
> (just change the jumpers on both drives, and maybe swap cables)

That sounds like sensible advice to me.

Assuming I am correct to think you want to replace the 7.10 with 8.04,
keeping the data in home and keeping XP:

If you manually set the existing /home into a new install, then I
think you will be keeping some parts of 7.10 configuration, which are
in hidden files in /home/user. This might not be quite what you want,
or you could have upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, but that would not be a
fresh install. You can use the old home as a data partition, with a
new /home in 8.04 perhaps.

Also, consider use of a separate small live CD such as Partition Magic
or Parted live Cd, to manage or change partitions before you install
8.04. I find it is sometimes faster and less confusing, and then use a
manual install.

I often have more than one version (7.04, 7.10 say) installed, each
with its own home. I also keep a Data partition which can be used by
any of the installs.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391

Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
"Willy Hamra"

someone suggested winXP's disk management, well. DONT use that, it
just ends f***ing your partition table, i once asked it to delete a
partition, and it deleted it right with the one after it! partition
magic is fairly good, and i dont know if the liveCD of hardy has
Qtparted like in gutsy's, if so, you can try it out. and if you have
no prblem with CLI, try parted. if you prefer a windows program,
paragon partitioner is an excellent solution, and supports linux
filesystems, but it costs $$.
willy

Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
"Jorge Pérez"

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Actually I have Kubuntu 7.10 running for some time (I just did an upgrade
> >> from previus versions) and all works fine. I have 2 IDE hard disks:
> >>
> >> /dev/sda partitions -> documents
> >> /dev/sdb partitions -> / , /home, Win XP, Swap
> >>
> >> Some time ago, my motherboard broke well, I just replace the
> motherboard
> >> and didn't have to install Kubuntu (so great).
> >>
> >> But now, I want to perform a fresh Kubuntu 8.04 install, but when I am in
> >> the manual partition step, I only have the posibility of change the SDA
> disk
> >> partitions and can only create a new partition table on the SDB (the
> >> installer can't see the partitions in SDB), but I don't want to delete my
> >> /home or my XP partiton.
> >>
> >> any idea? how can I fix the partition in order to be recognized by the
> >> Kubuntu partition manager?
> >>
> >> thank you.
> >>

> > I recommend to swap your drives, so that your boot drive is sda
> > and your documents are on sdb
> >
> > this way is more 'natural' and normally expected by most systems.
> >
> > (just change the jumpers on both drives, and maybe swap cables)
>
> That sounds like sensible advice to me.
>
> Assuming I am correct to think you want to replace the 7.10 with 8.04,
> keeping the data in home and keeping XP:
>
> If you manually set the existing /home into a new install, then I
> think you will be keeping some parts of 7.10 configuration, which are
> in hidden files in /home/user. This might not be quite what you want,
> or you could have upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, but that would not be a
> fresh install. You can use the old home as a data partition, with a
> new /home in 8.04 perhaps.
>
> Also, consider use of a separate small live CD such as Partition Magic
> or Parted live Cd, to manage or change partitions before you install
> 8.04. I find it is sometimes faster and less confusing, and then use a
> manual install.
>
> I often have more than one version (7.04, 7.10 say) installed, each
> with its own home. I also keep a Data partition which can be used by
> any of the installs.
> --
> alan cocks
> Kubuntu user#10391

Thank you for your advice.

Well, I did an upgrade, and I am surprised, it was really good (some
time ago I perform an upgrade and was painful - I think was on Kubuntu
- )

I supose that I have to check mi hard drives later. I didn't mention,
but months ago, the circuit of one HD broke, so I had to replace the
circuit and maybe that is the problem.

@Alan: Yes, I want to keep my /home partition. Before I've installed
Kubuntu keeping all my data (just formating / ) but the problem is
that the "partittion manager" in Kubuntu installer can't recognize the
partition table of the hard disk, so I can only create a new partition
table on that step.

but, as I mention, the upgrade was really really good. For info, I had
an old system: motherboard Intel, processor Intel PIV, 512MB RAM, and
nVidia GeForce Ti200.

PS: Sorry my poor English
--
Jorge