Old 05-04-2008, 04:02 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default wireless help!

I'm being forced to write this on a Vista machine :-(

How can I configure the wifi on my laptop so that WPA-2 is enabled
with the key XAXAXAXA (not the real key, but it's 8 upper-case
characters).

I've messed with kwifimanager (GUI) and iwconfig (CLI) until I'm blue
in the face. Of course it worked first time with Vista :-(

Doc

PS 32-bit gutsy, if it matters.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Jason Straight

On Sunday 04 May 2008 12:02:15 D. R. Evans wrote (Reply at bottom):
> I've messed with kwifimanager (GUI) and iwconfig (CLI) until I'm blue
> in the face. Of course it worked first time with Vista :-(

What type of wifi card? 'lspci' should show you the details of the
manufacturer/chipset.

iwconfig doesn't really do anything with WPA, for that you need WPA
supplicant, it's not a lot of fun to do the first time but that's why there's
kwifimanager, which configures and runs wpa_supplicant for you.

I'm not sure why kwifimanager didn't work, but that would be the route you'd
want to take. It may be the key you're using, I had problems once with I
think AES with WPA2, going back to WPA1 worked fine. Although that's not the
cure you really want it might be the one that gets you up and running with
the least fuss for now, and it will also verify that WPA1 works and WPA2 is
the problem.

--
| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight
| ICQ: 1796276
| MSN: glock21-45cal@hotmail.com
| AIM: JasonRStraight

--- RonPaul2008.com ---

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 AM
"D. R. Evans"

2008/5/4 Jason Straight <jason@jeetkunedomaster.net>:
> On Sunday 04 May 2008 12:02:15 D. R. Evans wrote (Reply at bottom):
>
> > I've messed with kwifimanager (GUI) and iwconfig (CLI) until I'm blue
> > in the face. Of course it worked first time with Vista :-(
>
> What type of wifi card? 'lspci' should show you the details of the
> manufacturer/chipset.

It's a realtek chip accessed through ndiswraspper (I started a thread
about that and which contains details on 27 March).

> iwconfig doesn't really do anything with WPA, for that you need WPA
> supplicant, it's not a lot of fun to do the first time but that's why there's
> kwifimanager, which configures and runs wpa_supplicant for you.
>
> I'm not sure why kwifimanager didn't work, but that would be the route you'd
> want to take. It may be the key you're using, I had problems once with I
> think AES with WPA2, going back to WPA1 worked fine. Although that's not the
> cure you really want it might be the one that gets you up and running with
> the least fuss for now, and it will also verify that WPA1 works and WPA2 is
> the problem.

What happens in kwifimanager is that when I type in the key in the
"Configure Encryption" dialogue, it just says "unrecognised". It
doesn't seem to matter what 8 characters I type, it always says the
same thing.

I've tried using wpa_gui, but it doesn't seem to do anything useful at
all. It just sits there. Even the Contents and Index of the Help menu
are greyed out, while the console fills with messages that say "PING
failed - trying to reconnect".

There is an "Add Network" command in the File menu of wpa_gui that
seems to be the place where one can add the encryption information,
but it asks for all kinds of stuff that I don't know. The access box I
have simply gives me an 8-character access key. I deduced from Windows
that it the system is using WPA2, but I have no way to know if that's
true, and I certainly can't change it at all (anent your suggestion of
using WPA1; if it were up to me, I'd turn off crypto entirely, it's
just too much hassle on this laptop when running gutsy). All the box
has on it is:
1. The SSID
2. The eight-ASCII-character "Network Key"
That seems to be enough for Windows to work out what to do to access the network

Doc

Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Jason Straight

On Monday 05 May 2008 03:26:09 D. R. Evans wrote (Reply at bottom):
> 2008/5/4 Jason Straight <jason@jeetkunedomaster.net>:
> > On Sunday 04 May 2008 12:02:15 D. R. Evans wrote (Reply at bottom):
> > > I've messed with kwifimanager (GUI) and iwconfig (CLI) until I'm blue
> >
> > *> in the face. Of course it worked first time with Vista :-(
> >
> > *What type of wifi card? 'lspci' should show you the details of the
> > *manufacturer/chipset.
>
> It's a realtek chip accessed through ndiswraspper (I started a thread
> about that and which contains details on 27 March).

Are we sure at this point that it works w/o WPA? Have you tried connecting to
a network that doesn't have WPA, successfully?

--
| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight
| ICQ: 1796276
| MSN: glock21-45cal@hotmail.com
| AIM: JasonRStraight

--- RonPaul2008.com ---

Old 05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Billie Walsh

D. R. Evans wrote:
> 2008/5/4 Jason Straight <jason@jeetkunedomaster.net>:
>
>> On Sunday 04 May 2008 12:02:15 D. R. Evans wrote (Reply at bottom):
>>

>>> I've messed with kwifimanager (GUI) and iwconfig (CLI) until I'm blue
>>>
>> > in the face. Of course it worked first time with Vista :-(
>>
>> What type of wifi card? 'lspci' should show you the details of the
>> manufacturer/chipset.
>>

> It's a realtek chip accessed through ndiswraspper (I started a thread
> about that and which contains details on 27 March).
>

>> iwconfig doesn't really do anything with WPA, for that you need WPA
>> supplicant, it's not a lot of fun to do the first time but that's why there's
>> kwifimanager, which configures and runs wpa_supplicant for you.
>>
>> I'm not sure why kwifimanager didn't work, but that would be the route you'd
>> want to take. It may be the key you're using, I had problems once with I
>> think AES with WPA2, going back to WPA1 worked fine. Although that's not the
>> cure you really want it might be the one that gets you up and running with
>> the least fuss for now, and it will also verify that WPA1 works and WPA2 is
>> the problem.
>>

> What happens in kwifimanager is that when I type in the key in the
> "Configure Encryption" dialogue, it just says "unrecognised". It
> doesn't seem to matter what 8 characters I type, it always says the
> same thing.
>
> I've tried using wpa_gui, but it doesn't seem to do anything useful at
> all. It just sits there. Even the Contents and Index of the Help menu
> are greyed out, while the console fills with messages that say "PING
> failed - trying to reconnect".
>
> There is an "Add Network" command in the File menu of wpa_gui that
> seems to be the place where one can add the encryption information,
> but it asks for all kinds of stuff that I don't know. The access box I
> have simply gives me an 8-character access key. I deduced from Windows
> that it the system is using WPA2, but I have no way to know if that's
> true, and I certainly can't change it at all (anent your suggestion of
> using WPA1; if it were up to me, I'd turn off crypto entirely, it's
> just too much hassle on this laptop when running gutsy). All the box
> has on it is:
> 1. The SSID
> 2. The eight-ASCII-character "Network Key"
> That seems to be enough for Windows to work out what to do to access the network
>
> Doc

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just add my $0.02 worth to the
discussion.

I have an Atheros chip PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop. When I can
manage to get it to connect it works fine. My problem seems to be more a
software problem than a hardware problem.

About a month ago I was waiting for my wife at the doctors office. I
went out to the van to enjoy one of those GREAT spring days. While I was
out there I set up the laptop played a little solitaire. It was booted
into XP because we had been working. All of a sudden my little
anti-virus program popped up and announced that the database had been
updated. It seems the computer had found an open wifi connection and
connected all on it's own. [ It would have been nice if it had asked
but................ ] A Radio Shack that had gone out of business about
a block away had gone away and left their wifi on.

In every Windows wireless manager there is a way to choose which
wireless connection around you to connect to and a "Connect" button. So
far in every Linux wireless management program I have tried there is NO
"Connect" button. IMHO, this is a monumental oversight in the
programming. I can set up any number of possible connections and set the
priority in which to connect but what about those times when need to use
a connection just once. Like in a hotel on a trip. OR, a truck stop
while I'm eating lunch on a trip. The possibility that I will need a
permanent setting for that is NILL! It's most likely a one time thing.

It seems to me that Linux programmers go out of their way to make it
more difficult than necessary to use wireless services.

Make it so that "we" can select a connection, click on "Connect" and
type in the key. There is really no need to have to set up permanent
settings for all those places we won't use everyday. In most cases those
locations will use settings that are minimal to make it easier to
connect. "We" shouldn't have to configure a complete network just to
connect.

For places, like home or work, a permanent setting should just work, but
when those connections aren't available..............................

Old 05-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Nigel Ridley

Billie Walsh wrote:
> [...]
> a connection just once. Like in a hotel on a trip. OR, a truck stop
> while I'm eating lunch on a trip. The possibility that I will need a
> permanent setting for that is NILL! It's most likely a one time thing.
>
> It seems to me that Linux programmers go out of their way to make it
> more difficult than necessary to use wireless services.
>
> Make it so that "we" can select a connection, click on "Connect" and
> type in the key. There is really no need to have to set up permanent
> settings for all those places we won't use everyday. In most cases those
> locations will use settings that are minimal to make it easier to
> connect. "We" shouldn't have to configure a complete network just to
> connect.
>
> For places, like home or work, a permanent setting should just work, but
> when those connections aren't available..............................

I use KNetworkmanager and it never used to work properly (the icon on the taskbar was a
grey something-or-other and it always said "No Device Active - or something similar, even
though my home wireless connection was working just fine!). One day, from a terminal I did:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
and is if by magic, the KNetworkmanager icon turned to a 'blue 4 column bar graph' and now
automatically detects available networks. Just a right click on the icon, then click on
the available connection that I want to use and 'Bob's your Uncle'!

HTH.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 AM
David McGlone

On Monday 05 May 2008 11:08:16 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> [...]
> > locations will use settings that are minimal to make it easier to
> > connect. "We" shouldn't have to configure a complete network just to
> > connect.
> >
> > For places, like home or work, a permanent setting should just work, but
> > when those connections aren't available..............................
>
> I use KNetworkmanager and it never used to work properly (the icon on the
> taskbar was a grey something-or-other and it always said "No Device Active
> - or something similar, even though my home wireless connection was working
> just fine!). One day, from a terminal I did: sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
> and is if by magic, the KNetworkmanager icon turned to a 'blue 4 column bar
> graph' and now automatically detects available networks. Just a right click
> on the icon, then click on the available connection that I want to use and

This made me excited! I just tried it... Didn't work. :-( LOL

Old 05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

Hi David,

On 06/05/2008, David McGlone <d.mcglone@att.net> wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008 11:08:16 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >
> > ... One day, from a terminal I did: sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
> > and is if by magic, the KNetworkmanager icon turned to a 'blue 4 column bar
> > graph' and now automatically detects available networks. Just a right click
> > on the icon, then click on the available connection that I want to use and
> > 'Bob's your Uncle'!
>
> This made me excited! I just tried it... Didn't work. :-( LOL

You might have to adapt this command slightly, worked fine for me with
eth1 (which is my wireless port) instead of wlan0 (Nigels wireless
port)

so this turns the command into
sudo iwlist (your wireless port) scan

and, of course, to know which is the wireless port, iwconfig is your friend

Greets

Myriam
--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 7:21:40 am Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 06/05/2008, David McGlone <d.mcglone@att.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 05 May 2008 11:08:16 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > > ... One day, from a terminal I did: sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
> > > and is if by magic, the KNetworkmanager icon turned to a 'blue 4 column
> > > bar graph' and now automatically detects available networks. Just a
> > > right click on the icon, then click on the available connection that I
> > > want to use and 'Bob's your Uncle'!
> >
> > This made me excited! I just tried it... Didn't work. :-( LOL
>
> You might have to adapt this command slightly, worked fine for me with
> eth1 (which is my wireless port) instead of wlan0 (Nigels wireless
> port)
>
> so this turns the command into
> sudo iwlist (your wireless port) scan
>
> and, of course, to know which is the wireless port, iwconfig is your friend

Yup, I used eth1.