Old 05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
"Asuka Langley"

Default login screen failure in Kubuntu 7.10

Hello

Can you provide more info about your PC? And one more..why don't you install the 8.04 version? It owns a newer kernel, and better hardware support. Maybe that would work flawlessly. I think it worth a try.. (Few other user said the same on this version, but only on notebooks mainly and the updates / 8.04 upgrade fixed the problem, so I don't know a full workaround).

(You can upgrade your system by the tray applet, or just open a konsole, and type: sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude full-upgrade)

Asuka

2008/5/4 Esterhuizen, Roy (Suncoast) <roye@tsogosun.com>:

Hi, today I installed kubuntu 7.10 on my pc, I am still
pretty new to this stuff. Everything seems to be working great, even got my
Huewai E220 hsdpa modem working, but for some reason when ever I log off my pc,
not shutdown, just logoff my user to allow another user to login, the pc
freezes, and I get a black screen with a couple of blocks, I then need to
reboot the computer physically. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone
know how to fix it?

*

*

Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Nils Kassube

Esterhuizen, Roy (Suncoast) wrote:
> but for some reason when ever I log off my
> pc, not shutdown, just logoff my user to allow another user to login,
> the pc freezes, and I get a black screen with a couple of blocks, I
> then need to reboot the computer physically.

Maybe you don't have to reboot but only restart the x-server with the
shortcut Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Other than that, can you tell us more about
your machine? What graphics card and which driver are you using? Maybe
that will give someone a hint where the problem is.

Nils

Old 05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
"Esterhuizen, Roy (Suncoast)"

I have requested the kubuntu cd’s, they should arrive
soon, as for my system, I am running a dual core 2.66 ghz cpu, nvidia gt8600
graphics card, am using the drivers for the 8 series nvidia card that comes
with the kubuntu install.