Old 05-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Graham Todd

Default Completing Forms In .pdf Format

I have a friend who cannot use his hand to write on paper (although
he's OK to use a keyboard). He often gets forms in .pdf (Acrobat)
format to complete, but the only method he can find is to print off the
form and get somebody to complete it for him.

When these concern his private data (eg completing applications for
Disability Living Allowance) he is - understandably - reluctant to rely
on this method. The UK government say this is often the way forms are
presented other than by them sending him a printed form - which results
in the same problem.

What he really needs is software that will WRITE to .pdf documents, but
when he tries to install acroread to see if that will do, he gets:

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
acroread: Depends: libldap2 which is a virtual package"

and so he can't install acroread.....

Does anyone know if there is any software "out there" which will write
to .pdf documents that he can install?

--
Graham Todd

Old 05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Ignazio Palmisano

Graham Todd wrote:
> I have a friend who cannot use his hand to write on paper (although
> he's OK to use a keyboard). He often gets forms in .pdf (Acrobat)
> format to complete, but the only method he can find is to print off the
> form and get somebody to complete it for him.
>
> When these concern his private data (eg completing applications for
> Disability Living Allowance) he is - understandably - reluctant to rely
> on this method. The UK government say this is often the way forms are
> presented other than by them sending him a printed form - which results
> in the same problem.
>
> What he really needs is software that will WRITE to .pdf documents, but
> when he tries to install acroread to see if that will do, he gets:
>
> "The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> acroread: Depends: libldap2 which is a virtual package"
>
> and so he can't install acroread.....
>
> Does anyone know if there is any software "out there" which will write
> to .pdf documents that he can install?

I remember being able to install the linux version from Adobe and
managing to copy the binaries around, including to another machine,
where I could run that by navigating to the binary location and
launching from there. It was version 7, though, so I'm not sure it works
with the latest Adobe and/or the latest Kubuntu. Worth a shot, though.

HTH,
I.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Nigel Ridley

Graham Todd wrote:
> I have a friend who cannot use his hand to write on paper (although
> he's OK to use a keyboard). He often gets forms in .pdf (Acrobat)
> format to complete, but the only method he can find is to print off the
> form and get somebody to complete it for him.
>
> When these concern his private data (eg completing applications for
> Disability Living Allowance) he is - understandably - reluctant to rely
> on this method. The UK government say this is often the way forms are
> presented other than by them sending him a printed form - which results
> in the same problem.
>
> What he really needs is software that will WRITE to .pdf documents, but
> when he tries to install acroread to see if that will do, he gets:
>
> "The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> acroread: Depends: libldap2 which is a virtual package"
>
> and so he can't install acroread.....
>
> Does anyone know if there is any software "out there" which will write
> to .pdf documents that he can install?

I'm running Hardy and acroread installed with any problems. Which Kubuntu is he using?

Thinking about it some more - he will probably have to enable the mediabuntu repository.
Just add:
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
to his 'sources.list' (in '/etc/apt').

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Graham Todd

On Sun, 04 May 2008 20:35:59 +0300
Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> wrote:

> I'm running Hardy and acroread installed with any problems. Which
> Kubuntu is he using?

Gutsy which has been upgraded through aptitude upgrades.

> Thinking about it some more - he will probably have to enable the
> mediabuntu repository. Just add:
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free
> to his 'sources.list' (in '/etc/apt').

He already has that repo in his sources.list, but thanks for the
suggestion! As someone else suggested here, I'll try installing
Acroread 7 and add-ons to see if it'll work and report back.

--
Graham Todd

Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Earl Violet

I don't really know so this is just a suggestion, but will the KDE
word processor handle that?

Earl

URL http://deserthowler.cjb.net
Instant messenger: earlcoyote
ICQ:64033496

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Graham Todd

On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:47:52 -0700 (PDT)
Earl Violet <ejviolet@yahoo.com> wrote:

> don't really know so this is just a suggestion, but will the KDE
> word processor handle that?
>
> Earl

I guess by the "KDE word processor" you mean OpenOffice.

My friend has OpenOffice, KOffice, and Abiword installed, but they won't
accept .pdf files and allow them to have any text added, so its not an
option.

On the Acroread 7 front - I thought I might have had a copy of the
package, but no such luck. On reflection wouldn't Acroread (Acrobat
Reader) be able to read files only? KPDF does that...or is there a CLI
for KPDF I've missed?

Or is there a package which will accept .pdf files and allow you then
to add text to those files......?
--
Graham Todd

Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/5 Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com>:
> I guess by the "KDE word processor" you mean OpenOffice.

The KDE word processor is KWord, in KOffice. KWord will not import pdf files.

> My friend has OpenOffice, KOffice, and Abiword installed, but they won't
> accept .pdf files and allow them to have any text added, so its not an
> option.

OOo 3 will allow pdf import. In fact, OOo 2.4 (in Hardy) might. Give it a shot.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Graham Todd wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:47:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Earl Violet <ejviolet@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> don't really know so this is just a suggestion, but will the KDE
>> word processor handle that?
>>
>> Earl
>
> I guess by the "KDE word processor" you mean OpenOffice.
>
> My friend has OpenOffice, KOffice, and Abiword installed, but they won't
> accept .pdf files and allow them to have any text added, so its not an
> option.
>
> On the Acroread 7 front - I thought I might have had a copy of the
> package, but no such luck. On reflection wouldn't Acroread (Acrobat
> Reader) be able to read files only? KPDF does that...or is there a CLI
> for KPDF I've missed?
>
> Or is there a package which will accept .pdf files and allow you then
> to add text to those files......?
There is a PDFEdit software in the repos (I think I installed from the
repos) and you can find it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfedit
I have not really done much with it but this might be what you need.
Adobe Reader normally just reads but I think if the pdf is DESIGNED as a
form it will allow input.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Lisi Reisz

On Monday 05 May 2008 09:28:46 Graham Todd wrote:
> My friend has OpenOffice, KOffice, and Abiword installed, but they won't
> accept .pdf files and allow them to have any text added

I have KWord 1.6.3 and I can edit pdf files - tho' the layout changes a bit.

Lisi

Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
"Francisco Borges"

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008 09:28:46 Graham Todd wrote:
> > My friend has OpenOffice, KOffice, and Abiword installed, but they won't
> > accept .pdf files and allow them to have any text added
>
> I have KWord 1.6.3 and I can edit pdf files - tho' the layout changes a bit.

I also have KWord 1.6.3 and can perform basic edition of PDF files.

Having used kword, flpsed, and pdfedit to edit PDFs. I would
recommend always trying Kword first, pdfedit is probably much more
competent to manipulate the pdf itself, but it is IMHO a pain to use.

Cheers,
--
Francisco