Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 AM
John Hubbard

Default Can't unmount

The other day I mounted my home directory (/home/jhubbard) from my
server on my laptop as /home/jhubbard/home. Now I can't un-mount it. I
can't remember how I mounted it. It is shared as both a NFS share and a
Samba share. When my laptop is connected to the home network I can
browse the folder, but otherwise I get problems. (An >ls -l of my
laptops home directory hangs if I can't see the server.)
I have tried :
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ umount /home/jhubbard/home/
umount: /home/jhubbard/home is not mounted (according to mtab)
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ smbumount /home/jhubbard/home
/home/jhubbard/home probably not smb-filesystem
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ umount jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard/home/
umount: jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard/home/ is not mounted (according
to mtab)
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ umount jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard
umount: jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard is not mounted (according to mtab)

I also tried an rm -rf /home/jhubbard/home and I wiped my home directory
on my server. At least I had a backup that was only a day or two old.
Does anyone know what I have to do to unmount the share and make the
folder go away.
BTW autofs is not installed. I haven't tried a reboot yet but if
someone thinks that it will help I will try it.

Any thoughts?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 17:53 -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
> The other day I mounted my home directory (/home/jhubbard) from my
> server on my laptop as /home/jhubbard/home. Now I can't un-mount it. I
> can't remember how I mounted it. It is shared as both a NFS share and a
> Samba share. When my laptop is connected to the home network I can
> browse the folder, but otherwise I get problems. (An >ls -l of my
> laptops home directory hangs if I can't see the server.)
> I have tried :
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ umount /home/jhubbard/home/
> umount: /home/jhubbard/home is not mounted (according to mtab)
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ smbumount /home/jhubbard/home
> /home/jhubbard/home probably not smb-filesystem
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ umount jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard/home/
> umount: jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard/home/ is not mounted (according
> to mtab)
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ umount jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard
> umount: jhubbard-server:/home/jhubbard is not mounted (according to mtab)
>
> I also tried an rm -rf /home/jhubbard/home and I wiped my home directory
> on my server. At least I had a backup that was only a day or two old.
> Does anyone know what I have to do to unmount the share and make the
> folder go away.
> BTW autofs is not installed. I haven't tried a reboot yet but if
> someone thinks that it will help I will try it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> -john

Have you looked at /etc/fstab to see what it thinks /home should be? If
you are running Ubuntu with GNOME desktop, you should have an icon on
your desktop showing the NFS share, delete it to break delete the share.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 05-03-2008, 03:37 AM
John Hubbard

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> Have you looked at /etc/fstab to see what it thinks /home should be?
/etc/fstab shows my three partitions /, /boot, and /home as well as my
cdrom drive. It doesn't show the home from
> If
> you are running Ubuntu with GNOME desktop,
I am running kubuntu
> you should have an icon on
> your desktop showing the NFS share, delete it to break delete the share.

I didn't mount it through the gui so I should be able to umount it
without the gui.
> good luck,

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Donn

I don't savvy mounting across networks, but whenever I have to un-mount
something I use the lazy option it seems to "just work":

umount -l /blah

Old 05-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Norberto Bensa

John Hubbard wrote:
> I have tried :

what does 'mount' say?

lsof?

fuser?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Bob McConnell

John Hubbard wrote:
> The other day I mounted my home directory (/home/jhubbard) from my
> server on my laptop as /home/jhubbard/home. Now I can't un-mount it. I
> can't remember how I mounted it. It is shared as both a NFS share and a

Trimmed...

> Any thoughts?

The most common reason umount fails is the FS believes it's busy.
Somewhere a running process has a file or directory open. Since it is
your home, just logging in as jhubbard would do it. You need to log in
as root and make sure there are no other users logged in. From a shell
'who' will give you a list of all the users currently logged in.
'whoami' shows your current identity.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Donn wrote:

> I don't savvy mounting across networks, but whenever I have to un-mount
> something I use the lazy option it seems to "just work":
>
> umount -l /blah

ditto. That might be a problem dealing with a /home directory (if you're
logged in and using it, it will never be unmounted until you log out), but
it never hurts to use -l and it can often help.
--
derek

Old 05-04-2008, 01:03 AM
John Hubbard

Norberto Bensa wrote:

> what does 'mount' say?
>
> lsof?
>
> fuser?

I gave up and finally rebooted before going to be last night. So I am
not sure what mount would have said or what fixed it. But thanks for the
suggestion. I didn't know that there was a 'mount' command that gave me
information.