Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Jim

Default Edbuntu ??

Does Edbuntu run on top of Kubuntu or just Ubuntu ??

Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Friday 02 May 2008 4:40:05 Jim wrote:
> Does Edbuntu run on top of Kubuntu or just Ubuntu ??

Edbuntu is a distribution unto itself based on Ubuntu and is only made for
people named Ed. Okay, kidding, but it is a variation of Ubuntu. It uses
Gnome like Ubuntu does.

You can get it at http://www.edubuntu.org

Old 05-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Donn

On Friday, 02 May 2008 23:40:05 Jim wrote:
> Does Edbuntu run on top of Kubuntu or just Ubuntu ??
Far as I know, Edubuntu uses a lot of GTK/Gnome apps. Kubuntu is essentially
Gnu/Linux with a KDE gui. Ubuntu is Gnu/Linux with a Gnome gui.

I think Edubuntu is the same as Ubuntu only themed differently and including a
bunch of different apps for education. I could be 100% wrong tho...

Old 05-02-2008, 10:02 PM
TeraDyne Ezeri

On Friday 02 May 2008 16:40:05 Jim wrote:
> Does Edbuntu run on top of Kubuntu or just Ubuntu ??

It runs off of GNOME by default, but I think there is a package that allows
you to run a KDE version. I think it's "edubuntu-addon-kde" or somethign like
that.

--
-Shawn "TeraDyne" Stilwell
http://bonesolteradyne.livejournal.com/

Old 05-03-2008, 07:04 AM
alan c

Jim wrote:
> Does Edbuntu run on top of Kubuntu or just Ubuntu ??

Edubuntu runs on gnome and is effectively a close variant of Ubuntu.
If you also install kubuntu-desktop package and log into the kubuntu
session, you will still have the applications available. I have
edubuntu installed as stand alone and I also use the kubuntu session
on the same laptop almost all the time.

I have discovered there has been a change of strategy for Edubuntu
distribution media.
Up to and including 7.10 gutsy, the Edubuntu team released a separate
set of CDs which included a Live CD of Edubuntu.

One consequence of this was that it appeared that Edubuntu was
something slightly outside the main Ubuntu core system, produced by an
external team.

From 8.04, Edubuntu is more clearly marketed as the education theme
of Ubuntu. There is no separate live CD of Edubuntu now, and Edubuntu
is obtained from Ubuntu and by use of a supplementary add on CD.
This approach has significant advantages from a development, marketing
and support view.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391