Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
David Fletcher

Default File recovery

I've got an image of a broken USB flash drive, taken using dd, which contains
a word document that a colleague would rather like recovered.

I can open the file with khexedit and see the text, but range export insists
on exporting the entire khexedit display not just the text I want.

Is there any data recovery software in the repositories that might help with
extracting this document?

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Donn

> Is there any data recovery software in the repositories that might help
> with extracting this document?
mount it (using loop)... Something like:

mount -o loop, unhide -t whatever -r filename /mnt/point

Where:
whatever is the file system type (ext3 or iso9660 etc.)
/mnt/point is some empty directory you know about
filename is the dd image.

man mount baby

Old 05-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Anton Rolls

Donn wrote:
>> Is there any data recovery software in the repositories that might help
>> with extracting this document?
> mount it (using loop)... Something like:
>
> mount -o loop, unhide -t whatever -r filename /mnt/point
>
> Where:
> whatever is the file system type (ext3 or iso9660 etc.)
> /mnt/point is some empty directory you know about
> filename is the dd image.
>
> man mount baby

I would also make sure the image is mounted readonly ('ro')
to be sure it's not modified by being mounted.
(Maybe one of the options recommended above implies readonly
mode, but check the mount man page to be sure.)

Anton.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/5/2 David Fletcher <kubuntu-users@thefletchers.net>:
> I've got an image of a broken USB flash drive, taken using dd, which contains
> a word document that a colleague would rather like recovered.
>
> I can open the file with khexedit and see the text, but range export insists
> on exporting the entire khexedit display not just the text I want.
>
> Is there any data recovery software in the repositories that might help with
> extracting this document?
>
> Dave

What i have read is that dd is not a good tool to use on a drive that
has errors. Gnu ddrescue is supposed to better in that case. I have
not tried it so i don't know, just a tip.

/ Jonas

Old 05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
David Fletcher

> What i have read is that dd is not a good tool to use on a drive that
> has errors. Gnu ddrescue is supposed to better in that case. I have
> not tried it so i don't know, just a tip.
>
> / Jonas

I've tried it on the image file, but can't get anywhere with it. The resulting
file mounts with type usbfs but the document cannot be seen.

The original USB flash drive is at work, so I can't get it to try this with it
until Tuesday.

Dave

Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 PM
"Lars Christian Nygård"

Hi

Don't know what you mean by broken, but I'll assume it got filesystem errors on it.
Here is a couple of hints

apt-cache search fat

I guess the key is FAT32 formated. maybe there is some fat utilities in the repository. Then...

1. Make a work copy of the image to lets say usbimage-backup.img
2. Try and mount it with "-o loop", as other has suggested.
3. If mount was unsuccessfull try and fix it with "fsck -y usbimage-backup.img"

4. If still no success, try with some other tools.
5. hmm...i don't know...time to get creative...?

-lars

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
David Fletcher

On Monday 05 May 2008, Lars Christian Nygård wrote:
> Hi
>
> Don't know what you mean by broken, but I'll assume it got filesystem errors
> on it.
> Here is a couple of hints
>
> 3. If mount was unsuccessfull try and fix it with "fsck -y
> usbimage-backup.img"

Already tried that - no joy. I just get the error message "Currently, only 1
or 2 FATs are supported, not 255.".

I think this is a lesson for the other person to learn the hard way - always
keep backups! And today is a holiday. I don't feel inclined to waste any more
time on this.

Dave

Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

i accidentally excluded a wanted directory from my monthly backup, and
from all the times that i needed to use the backup for a recovery
yesterday, with this incomplete backup, and i didn't notice that the
diectory wasn't backed up until after i deleted the whole system and
restored from the backup, so basically i ended up with around 4 GiB of
downloaded data missing!

i use ext3 filesystem, and have seperate /usr /var /home /boot
partitions, leaving the rest of the root partition almost empty, that's
why i chose /sharedstuff as a common place for downloading and sharing
stuff on samba.

what are my chances of recoveringsome of these files? and what programs
can i use?

this directory contained many small files that i don't care about, but
2huge files (dvd images being downloaded with utorrent and pre
allocated, these 2 are what i care about most

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> i accidentally excluded a wanted directory from my monthly backup, and
> from all the times that i needed to use the backup for a recovery
> yesterday, with this incomplete backup, and i didn't notice that the
> diectory wasn't backed up until after i deleted the whole system and
> restored from the backup, so basically i ended up with around 4 GiB of
> downloaded data missing!
>
> i use ext3 filesystem, and have seperate /usr /var /home /boot
> partitions, leaving the rest of the root partition almost empty, that's
> why i chose /sharedstuff as a common place for downloading and sharing
> stuff on samba.
>
> what are my chances of recoveringsome of these files? and what programs
> can i use?
>
> this directory contained many small files that i don't care about, but
> 2huge files (dvd images being downloaded with utorrent and pre
> allocated, these 2 are what i care about most

Linux Magazine had an article about file recovery in a recent issue, go
to their website
http://www.linux-magazine.com/
and search there. Good luck, I am afraid you are in for a tough time.

Sinclair