Old 05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
"Willy Hamra"

Default updating to hardy

i decided to do a fresh install of hardy instead of upgrading, due to the problems being reported from upgrades. i dont care about any of the settings i have made, and just to make sure that no settings remain from gutsy, i'm going to delete all hidden files and directories in my home except for ".wine". the only thing bothering me is the programs i have installed, i cant redownload all of them since i have a slow connection, but i have all their debs. i regularly copy the debs from "/var/cache/apt/archives" into a seperate partition mounted at "/archive". and i cant run dpkg on them separately since there is a lot of packages with many dependencies, and running dpkg on all of the debs will probably crash the system since there is debs belonging exclusively to gutsy like adept updates and such stuff. what is the procedure for making APT installing from /archive after installing hardy? is it better to copy them to the cache folder or is it the same?

thanks in advance

Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Ignazio Palmisano

Willy Hamra wrote:
> i decided to do a fresh install of hardy instead of upgrading, due to the
> problems being reported from upgrades. i dont care about any of the settings
> i have made, and just to make sure that no settings remain from gutsy, i'm
> going to delete all hidden files and directories in my home except for
> ".wine". the only thing bothering me is the programs i have installed, i
> cant redownload all of them since i have a slow connection, but i have all
> their debs. i regularly copy the debs from "/var/cache/apt/archives" into a
> seperate partition mounted at "/archive". and i cant run dpkg on them
> separately since there is a lot of packages with many dependencies, and
> running dpkg on all of the debs will probably crash the system since there
> is debs belonging exclusively to gutsy like adept updates and such stuff.
> what is the procedure for making APT installing from /archive after
> installing hardy? is it better to copy them to the cache folder or is it the
> same?
> thanks in advance

In a previous thread named: "how to authenticate my local repository"
the subject was discussed to some depth; I have never tried to restore
the cache from another machine, but there is one suggestion that seems
meaningful: copy them into the /partial folder in the cache folder, the
first attempt to download should find a complete copy there and then
index the deb properly where needed. Untested, but seems meaningful.
HTh,
I.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
"Willy Hamra"

In a previous thread named: "how to authenticate my local repository"

the subject was discussed to some depth; I have never tried to restore

the cache from another machine, but there is one suggestion that seems

meaningful: copy them into the /partial folder in the cache folder, the

first attempt to download should find a complete copy there and then

index the deb properly where needed. Untested, but seems meaningful.

HTh,

I.*sounds like a good idea, thanks, i'll try it out.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Derek Broughton

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:

> Willy Hamra wrote:
>
> In a previous thread named: "how to authenticate my local repository"
> the subject was discussed to some depth; I have never tried to restore
> the cache from another machine, but there is one suggestion that seems
> meaningful: copy them into the /partial folder in the cache folder, the
> first attempt to download should find a complete copy there and then
> index the deb properly where needed. Untested, but seems meaningful.

Well, I said that, but it was just a guess knowing something of how apt
works. I don't like it, and I wasn't recommending it. :-)

apt-utils contains the script apt-ftparchive which is _exactly_ intended for
making a proper repository out of this sort of directory.
--
derek

Old 05-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

fredag den 2. Maj 2008 kvad Willy Hamra:
> i decided to do a fresh install of hardy instead of upgrading, due
> to the problems being reported from upgrades. i dont care about any
> of the settings i have made, and just to make sure that no settings
> remain from gutsy, i'm going to delete all hidden files and
> directories in my home except for ".wine".

If you use kmail or kooka, they save mail and scanned images somewhere
under .kde

Just so you know.

Best regards )
Johnny )

Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Willy Hamra wrote:
> i decided to do a fresh install of hardy instead of upgrading, due to
> the problems being reported from upgrades. i dont care about any of the
> settings i have made, and just to make sure that no settings remain from
> gutsy, i'm going to delete all hidden files and directories in my home
> except for ".wine". the only thing bothering me is the programs i have
> installed, i cant redownload all of them since i have a slow connection,
> but i have all their debs. i regularly copy the debs from
> "/var/cache/apt/archives" into a seperate partition mounted at
> "/archive". and i cant run dpkg on them separately since there is a lot
> of packages with many dependencies, and running dpkg on all of the debs
> will probably crash the system since there is debs belonging exclusively
> to gutsy like adept updates and such stuff. what is the procedure for
> making APT installing from /archive after installing hardy? is it better
> to copy them to the cache folder or is it the same?
> thanks in advance

See if you can download and install AptonCD that is a sort of apt backup
software that might be what you are looking for.
http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Old 05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
"Willy Hamra"

this is not what i might be looking for, it is EXACTLY what i'm
looking for, thanks a bunch, you're a genius

Old 05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Willy Hamra wrote:
> this is not what i might be looking for, it is EXACTLY what i'm
> looking for, thanks a bunch, you're a genius
>
> On 5/5/08, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Willy Hamra wrote:
>>> i decided to do a fresh install of hardy instead of upgrading, due to
>>> the problems being reported from upgrades. i dont care about any of the
>>> settings i have made, and just to make sure that no settings remain from
>>> gutsy, i'm going to delete all hidden files and directories in my home
>>> except for ".wine". the only thing bothering me is the programs i have
>>> installed, i cant redownload all of them since i have a slow connection,
>>> but i have all their debs. i regularly copy the debs from
>>> "/var/cache/apt/archives" into a seperate partition mounted at
>>> "/archive". and i cant run dpkg on them separately since there is a lot
>>> of packages with many dependencies, and running dpkg on all of the debs
>>> will probably crash the system since there is debs belonging exclusively
>>> to gutsy like adept updates and such stuff. what is the procedure for
>>> making APT installing from /archive after installing hardy? is it better
>>> to copy them to the cache folder or is it the same?
>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>> See if you can download and install AptonCD that is a sort of apt backup
>> software that might be what you are looking for.
>> http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the kind words - no am not a genius but live in a part of the
world with very slow and expensive internet and only dial-up at home...