Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Neil Winchurst

Default Compose Key

Have recently installed Gutsy as a replacement for Edgy.

I used a compose key on Edgy for foreign accents etc. I was able
to choose and set up the key which I had decided on.

I can't remember where I found it on Edgy. I have been looking
at keyboard in settings, but it does not appear. Can anyone
remind me where to look please?

TIA

Neil Winchurst

Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello Neil

> I used a compose key on Edgy for foreign accents etc. I was able to choose and set up the key which I had decided on. I can't remember where I found it on Edgy. I have been looking at keyboard in settings, but it does not appear. Can anyone remind me where to look please?

When installing Kubuntu 7.10, I chose 'US International' - a key board
setting with so-called 'dead keys': ', ", ~, `, '. When pressing ONE
time at such a key and immediately afterwards at another one, you will
get characters like é, è, ñ, ć, etc.
You can also try to choose 'US international' or ÚS Intl.' after the
installation:
SYSTEM SETTINGS > PERSONAL > Regional and language > Key board lay out >
tab 'lay-out'.
However, my experience is not so good with this option. Because of some
strange reason, only OPEN OFFICE worked according to the changed
setting. But after reinstalling from scratch and choosing the key board
settings during that procedure, everything worked smoothly.

The COMPOSE KEY you are asking for, can however only be installed
afterwords:
SYSTEM SETTINGS > PERSONAL > Regional and language > Key board lay out >
tab 'XKB options'.
You will see a big list with various options. If you scroll a bit
through that list, you will see a set of options 'Compose key position'.
There you can choose your favourite compose key.
This compose key is a useful supplement after installing 'US intl.' or
any other 'intl.' key board. You can get characters like ç and ł.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org

Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:21:13 +0200
Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Neil
>
> > I used a compose key on Edgy for foreign accents etc. I was able to choose and set up the key which I had decided on. I can't remember where I found it on Edgy. I have been looking at keyboard in settings, but it does not appear. Can anyone remind me where to look please?
> >

> The COMPOSE KEY you are asking for, can however only be installed
> afterwords:
> SYSTEM SETTINGS > PERSONAL > Regional and language > Key board lay out >
> tab 'XKB options'.
> You will see a big list with various options. If you scroll a bit
> through that list, you will see a set of options 'Compose key position'.
> There you can choose your favourite compose key.
> This compose key is a useful supplement after installing 'US intl.' or
> any other 'intl.' key board. You can get characters like ç and ł.
>
> Respectfully Yours,
>
> Bas.

Thanks for that. I have now set it up as before. My memory gets
worse!!

Neil