Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Fred Schuelzky

Default 8.04 upgrade - login screen resolution is wrong

Hi
Just finished upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04. My login screen is screwed
up. The resolution is wrong. I've tried to change screens and that won't
work.
Right now I can log in to the KDE system but can't change sessions to
Gnome. Because I can't see the sessions icon.

Any help would be appreciated
Fred

Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Nils Kassube

Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Just finished upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04. My login screen is
> screwed up. The resolution is wrong. I've tried to change screens and
> that won't work.
> Right now I can log in to the KDE system but can't change sessions to
> Gnome. Because I can't see the sessions icon.

Is the resolution OK if you login to KDE? Was the monitor switched on when
the xserver started? What graphics card is in that machine?

If the resolution is wrong for your KDE session as well, you could switch
to a text console using the shortcut Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login. Then use
these commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

If you use gdm, replace "/etc/init.d/kdm" with "/etc/init.d/gdm" for the
commands above. These commands might repair the problem, but if your
graphics card is not really supported, like e.g. some older ATI cards,
that will not help.

Nils

Old 05-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Fred Schuelzky

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Fred Schuelzky wrote:
>> Just finished upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04. My login screen is
>> screwed up. The resolution is wrong. I've tried to change screens and
>> that won't work.
>> Right now I can log in to the KDE system but can't change sessions to
>> Gnome. Because I can't see the sessions icon.
>
> Is the resolution OK if you login to KDE? Was the monitor switched on when
> the xserver started? What graphics card is in that machine?
>
> If the resolution is wrong for your KDE session as well, you could switch
> to a text console using the shortcut Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login. Then use
> these commands:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
>
> If you use gdm, replace "/etc/init.d/kdm" with "/etc/init.d/gdm" for the
> commands above. These commands might repair the problem, but if your
> graphics card is not really supported, like e.g. some older ATI cards,
> that will not help.
>

> Nils

Thanks Nils for the reply:
I got it fixed by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file all that I did
was edit the Subsection "Display" numbers to: Virtual 1024 768.
NoOp fom the Ubuntu list assisted me with this.

Thank you very much for your reply

Fred