Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Default Package upgrade problem with GTK

I first saw this as a notice from Adept that an update was available.
But no matter how many times I tried to update, the notice stayed there.
So I ran some commands to make sure I had no problems with a package
lock or mangled install, and everything seemed fine. So then I ran this
(and got the following result):

sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libgtk1.2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

So it says it is keeping back this package. Does that mean something I
should be concerned about? IS there something I can do to get this taken
care of?

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

Q. What do you get when you cross a Mafioso and a deconstructionist? |
A. Someone who makes you an offer you can't understand.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Kevin B. O'Brien <nadreck@palain.com> wrote:
> I first saw this as a notice from Adept that an update was available.
> But no matter how many times I tried to update, the notice stayed there.
> So I ran some commands to make sure I had no problems with a package
> lock or mangled install, and everything seemed fine. So then I ran this
> (and got the following result):
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
> libgtk1.2
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>
> So it says it is keeping back this package. Does that mean something I
> should be concerned about? IS there something I can do to get this taken
> care of?

It means that upgrading libgtk 1.2 would *also* upgrade other
packages, *or* would remove packages. You can do "sudo ap-get -S
install libgtk1.2". This is a simulated install, and would tell you
what else would be installed, or what would be removed, if you just
did :sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2".

BTW, I like using "aptitude" rather than "apt-get", myself, but you'll
probably end up with the same effect.

> Thank you,
>
> --
> Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
> nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216
>
> Q. What do you get when you cross a Mafioso and a deconstructionist? |
> A. Someone who makes you an offer you can't understand.

Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>