Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Installing debs from Mepis

There is apparently a deb on Mepis that is not available for Kubuntu (nor Debian). It is
Bibletime 1.6.5 (it fixes some annoying bugs in 1.6.4).

Someone told me that it is available in the Mepis 7.0 repositories.
Can I add Mepis repos to my 'sources.list'? I know that Mepis is not based on Ubuntu
anymore, but rather Debian.

Will 'sudo apt-get -s install bibletime' confirm if it will install without problems?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Nigel Ridley

Pete wrote:
> I wouldn't add the repository, you never know what kind of different
> versions or different builds of the same versions of stuff are in there, and
> apt will just blindly install whatever it sees as the "most recent version"
> of stuff, without regard to where it's coming from. Just pull that deb from
> their repository and install it via dpkg.
>
> -p.

How do I do that? I know it sounds a nooby question but I've never had the occasion to do
something like that before.

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Pete

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> wrote:

Pete wrote:

> I wouldn't add the repository, you never know what kind of different

> versions or different builds of the same versions of stuff are in there, and

> apt will just blindly install whatever it sees as the "most recent version"

> of stuff, without regard to where it's coming from. Just pull that deb from

> their repository and install it via dpkg.

> -p.

How do I do that? I know it sounds a nooby question but I've never had the occasion to do

something like that before.
Where did you find the package? I'm having a ton of trouble finding the Mepis repositories.* In any event, find the repository, find the package, download it to your hard drive,* then either:

1. "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/foo.deb" (without the quotes, and replacing the slug filepath with the actual path to the package, probably /home/you/foo.deb)

2. Open it in Gdebi if you have that installed, and click "install."

best-
p.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Nigel Ridley

Pete wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> wrote:
>
>> Pete wrote:
>>> I wouldn't add the repository, you never know what kind of different
>>> versions or different builds of the same versions of stuff are in there,
>> and
>>> apt will just blindly install whatever it sees as the "most recent
>> version"
>>> of stuff, without regard to where it's coming from. Just pull that deb
>> from
>>> their repository and install it via dpkg.
>>>
>>> -p.
>> How do I do that? I know it sounds a nooby question but I've never had the
>> occasion to do
>> something like that before.
>

> Where did you find the package? I'm having a ton of trouble finding the
> Mepis repositories. In any event, find the repository, find the package,
> download it to your hard drive, then either:
>
> 1. "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/foo.deb" (without the quotes, and replacing the
> slug filepath with the actual path to the package, probably
> /home/you/foo.deb)
>
> 2. Open it in Gdebi if you have that installed, and click "install."
>
> best-
> p.

I found the repository here:
ftp://ftp.mepis.com/mepis/dists/mepis-7.0/main/binary-i386/
but on checking I can't find any mention of bibletime :-(

Oh well - next step - compile! [http://www.bibletime.info/software_installation.html] or
could I use one of the rpm's and use alien on it? If so, which one - fedora, redhat or suse?

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Pete

You certainly could do that, but first you might want to shoot an email to either the Debian or Ubuntu package maintainer and see what their timeframe is for packaging the newer version. Especially for Debian Unstable, that stuff gets updated very quickly, they just might not have gotten to it.

-p.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Paul Lemmons

>>> and

>>> version"

>>> from

>>> How do I do that? I know it sounds a nooby question but I've never had the
>>> occasion to do
>>> something like that before.
>>>
>> Where did you find the package? I'm having a ton of trouble finding the
>> Mepis repositories. In any event, find the repository, find the package,
>> download it to your hard drive, then either:
>>
>> 1. "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/foo.deb" (without the quotes, and replacing the
>> slug filepath with the actual path to the package, probably
>> /home/you/foo.deb)
>>
>> 2. Open it in Gdebi if you have that installed, and click "install."
>>
>> best-
>> p.
>>

> I found the repository here:
> ftp://ftp.mepis.com/mepis/dists/mepis-7.0/main/binary-i386/
> but on checking I can't find any mention of bibletime :-(
>
> Oh well - next step - compile! [http://www.bibletime.info/software_installation.html] or
> could I use one of the rpm's and use alien on it? If so, which one - fedora, redhat or suse?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

http://teharris.net/mepis/pool/main/b/bibletime/bibletime_1.6.5_i386.deb

then

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/foo.deb

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Paul Lemmons

> There is apparently a deb on Mepis that is not available for Kubuntu (nor Debian). It is
> Bibletime 1.6.5 (it fixes some annoying bugs in 1.6.4).
>
> Someone told me that it is available in the Mepis 7.0 repositories.
> Can I add Mepis repos to my 'sources.list'? I know that Mepis is not based on Ubuntu
> anymore, but rather Debian.
>
> Will 'sudo apt-get -s install bibletime' confirm if it will install without problems?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Just curious, I use Bibletime(1.6.4) all of the time and have not run
into any bugs yet. What bugs are you seeing that are fixed in 1.6.5?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Nigel Ridley

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> [...]

The bugs are well known - try changing the 'Display Settings'. It crashes bibletime. Under
Hardy I can't open another linked Bible (from the Bible icon with the '+') - on the tool
bar it opens another Bible icon but none is displayed in the window.

In 1.6.5 these bugs are meant to be fixed.

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Nigel Ridley

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> [...]

I tried installing the above but got dependency problems:

nigel@laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i bibletime_1.6.5_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 181784 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bibletime 1.6.4.dfsg-0ubuntu3 (using bibletime_1.6.5_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement bibletime ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bibletime:
bibletime depends on libclucene0 (>= 0.9.16a-1); however:
Package libclucene0 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing bibletime (--install):
bibletime

So, I tried the obvious (install libclucene0) but also got dependency problems:

nigel@laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i libclucene0_0.9.16a-1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for nigel:
Selecting previously deselected package libclucene0.
dpkg: regarding libclucene0_0.9.16a-1_i386.deb containing libclucene0:
libclucene0ldbl conflicts with libclucene0 (<< 0.9.16a-3)
libclucene0 (version 0.9.16a-1) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing libclucene0_0.9.16a-1_i386.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing libclucene0
libclucene0_0.9.16a-1_i386.deb

So I will now write to the maintainer [ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com]

Blessings,

Nigel