Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default Fw: Sound on Gutsy

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:15:33 +0100
Harriet Winchurst <harriet@holsdev.vispa.com> wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:33:07 +0200
> From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Sound on Gutsy
>

> On Wednesday 30 April 2008 16:12, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > I have just installed Gutsy from scratch, having used Edgy for 18 months.
> > So far so good, except for lack of sound. I have been playing with kmix but
> > to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Neil Winchurst
>
> Hi Neil. If sound was working on Edgy, but sound is not working on Gutsy
> Gibbon on the same machine, it may not be a big problem. Kmix isn't always
> great. Have you tried alsamixer on KDE's Konsole. There may be something that
> needs to be unmuted, or some slider pushed up a bit.
>
> You could send the output of:
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> lsmod | grep snd
>
> Do you have anything plugged into the USB, that is sound related? Webcam, Usb
> midi keyboard, etc? I had no problems with sound on my Gutsy install. the usb
> midi keyboard, and a snd module for my TV card were correctly ordered
> in /proc/asound/cards, and the actual soundcard was set as card0, but
> sometimes this goes a bit pearshaped, and you could find a webcam mike being
> set as card0, and consequently the soundcard is not available, as it should
> be card0.
>
> If you feel like it, you could also download this script, make it executable,
> then run it. See below for link to download.
>
> http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
>
> The script when run retrieves a bunch of info about the sounds on your
> machine, and uploads the output to the pastebin site.
>
> If you go with this, post back the link to the pastebin site in your reply.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.
Sorry, I did not explain very well. I tried Gutsy on Virtual Box
before deciding to install it. At first I had no sound, but I
did something that got it working. Of course, I have forgotten
the details now, but I seem to remember that something that
defaults to mute had to be unmuted. So I know that it should
work. Oh well, more searching!!

Neil

Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
John L Fjellstad

Neil Winchurst <neil@holsdev.vispa.com> writes:

>> Nigel.
> Sorry, I did not explain very well. I tried Gutsy on Virtual Box
> before deciding to install it. At first I had no sound, but I
> did something that got it working. Of course, I have forgotten
> the details now, but I seem to remember that something that
> defaults to mute had to be unmuted. So I know that it should
> work. Oh well, more searching!!

Make sure both master and pcm channel is unmuted. I just lost sound on
my system. Turned out that PCM was muted (but not master). Right click
on kmix and check if anything is muted, then look at the mixer.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:03:33 +0200
John L Fjellstad <john-ubuntu@fjellstad.org> wrote:

> Make sure both master and pcm channel is unmuted. I just lost sound on
> my system. Turned out that PCM was muted (but not master). Right click
> on kmix and check if anything is muted, then look at the mixer.
>
> --
> John L. Fjellstad
> web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Thanks, I have sound working now. One of the switches which I
thought was on was in fact off.

So I have sound working now, but I have another problem. I was
trying to play a music CD without any success. Kaffeine simply
crashed every time. Have there been any problems with Kaffeine
on Gutsy please?

Neil Winchurst

Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 01 May 2008 16:52, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:03:33 +0200
>
> John L Fjellstad <john-ubuntu@fjellstad.org> wrote:
> > Make sure both master and pcm channel is unmuted. I just lost sound on
> > my system. Turned out that PCM was muted (but not master). Right click
> > on kmix and check if anything is muted, then look at the mixer.
> >
> > --
> > John L. Fjellstad
> > web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
>
> Thanks, I have sound working now. One of the switches which I
> thought was on was in fact off.
>
> So I have sound working now, but I have another problem. I was
> trying to play a music CD without any success. Kaffeine simply
> crashed every time. Have there been any problems with Kaffeine
> on Gutsy please?
>
> Neil Winchurst

I've got Gutsy booted at the mo, and have never tried Kaffeine before
(normally use Kscd), but Kaffeine is working fine, no crashes. A window opens
which asks what I want to do, when clicking on the play audio cd box, which I
ignore, and press cancel, and the CD is playing some Chemical Generation
stuff at the mo.

Nigel.

btw: glad you got the sounds working.