Old 04-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default Sound on Gutsy

I have just installed Gutsy from scratch, having used Edgy for 18 months. So far so good, except for lack of sound. I have been playing with kmix but to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Neil Winchurst

Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 16:12, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have just installed Gutsy from scratch, having used Edgy for 18 months.
> So far so good, except for lack of sound. I have been playing with kmix but
> to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

Hi Neil. If sound was working on Edgy, but sound is not working on Gutsy
Gibbon on the same machine, it may not be a big problem. Kmix isn't always
great. Have you tried alsamixer on KDE's Konsole. There may be something that
needs to be unmuted, or some slider pushed up a bit.

You could send the output of:
cat /proc/asound/cards
lsmod | grep snd

Do you have anything plugged into the USB, that is sound related? Webcam, Usb
midi keyboard, etc? I had no problems with sound on my Gutsy install. the usb
midi keyboard, and a snd module for my TV card were correctly ordered
in /proc/asound/cards, and the actual soundcard was set as card0, but
sometimes this goes a bit pearshaped, and you could find a webcam mike being
set as card0, and consequently the soundcard is not available, as it should
be card0.

If you feel like it, you could also download this script, make it executable,
then run it. See below for link to download.

http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

The script when run retrieves a bunch of info about the sounds on your
machine, and uploads the output to the pastebin site.

If you go with this, post back the link to the pastebin site in your reply.

All the best.

Nigel.