Old 11-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Mike Leone

Default Fwd: Can't seem to reinstall grub

So I have this Dell Inspiron 600m laptop that dual boots Windows and
Kubuntu. Through my own stupidity, I needed to completely remake my
Windows partition, and so of course I lost grub.

So I boot with a Knoppix CD, and do this: (I booted into text mode)

fdisk -l
-> I see that /dev/hda1 is WinXP, and /dev/hda2 is Linux (with /dev/hda5
as swap). That's all the partitions. Pretty simple, no?

No ...

mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/hda2 /mnt
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/hda

-> which tells me that /dev/hda: Not found or not a block device.

So, thinking that perhaps Knoppix likes specifying things as UNIONFS, I
retry, using /UNIONFS/dev/hda all the way through. Still no joy.

Then I try

grub
root (hd0,1)

-> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Then I tried (still in grub):

find /boot/grub/stage1

Error 15: File not found

<grrrr>

Anyone? I can read /boot/grub/menu.lst, where it says "root (hd0,1)". I
just can't seem to fix grub ...

Thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Nils Kassube

Mike Leone wrote:
> So I have this Dell Inspiron 600m laptop that dual boots Windows and
> Kubuntu. Through my own stupidity, I needed to completely remake my
> Windows partition, and so of course I lost grub.
>
> So I boot with a Knoppix CD, and do this: (I booted into text mode)
>
> fdisk -l
> -> I see that /dev/hda1 is WinXP, and /dev/hda2 is Linux (with
> /dev/hda5 as swap). That's all the partitions. Pretty simple, no?

Which version of Kubuntu are you talking about? If it is Gutsy (or I think
Feisty as well), there is no more /dev/hda but it is now /dev/sda even if
it is really an IDE drive. If you use the Live CD of the Kubuntu version
installed on your harddisk you can see the correct device name with your
fdisk command.

Nils

Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Mark Fraser

On Thursday 29 November 2007 07:15:54 Nils Kassube wrote:
> Mike Leone wrote:
> > So I have this Dell Inspiron 600m laptop that dual boots Windows and
> > Kubuntu. Through my own stupidity, I needed to completely remake my
> > Windows partition, and so of course I lost grub.
> >
> > So I boot with a Knoppix CD, and do this: (I booted into text mode)
> >
> > fdisk -l
> > -> I see that /dev/hda1 is WinXP, and /dev/hda2 is Linux (with
> > /dev/hda5 as swap). That's all the partitions. Pretty simple, no?
>
> Which version of Kubuntu are you talking about? If it is Gutsy (or I think
> Feisty as well), there is no more /dev/hda but it is now /dev/sda even if
> it is really an IDE drive. If you use the Live CD of the Kubuntu version
> installed on your harddisk you can see the correct device name with your
> fdisk command.

Are you sure about that? My IDE drive is still mounted as /dev/hd??

$ mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /home type ext3 (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Nils Kassube

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 07:15:54 Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Mike Leone wrote:
> > > So I have this Dell Inspiron 600m laptop that dual boots Windows
> > > and Kubuntu. Through my own stupidity, I needed to completely
> > > remake my Windows partition, and so of course I lost grub.
> > >
> > > So I boot with a Knoppix CD, and do this: (I booted into text mode)
> > >
> > > fdisk -l
> > > -> I see that /dev/hda1 is WinXP, and /dev/hda2 is Linux (with
> > > /dev/hda5 as swap). That's all the partitions. Pretty simple, no?
> >
> > Which version of Kubuntu are you talking about? If it is Gutsy (or I
> > think Feisty as well), there is no more /dev/hda but it is now
> > /dev/sda even if it is really an IDE drive. If you use the Live CD of
> > the Kubuntu version installed on your harddisk you can see the
> > correct device name with your fdisk command.
>
> Are you sure about that? My IDE drive is still mounted as /dev/hd??

Sorry if that was wrong. Now that you ask, I'm not so sure any more. As I
don't have access to the machine with IDE drive where I installed Gutsy
last month, I can't check it.

Nils

Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Mike Leone

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Mike Leone wrote:
>> So I have this Dell Inspiron 600m laptop that dual boots Windows and
>> Kubuntu. Through my own stupidity, I needed to completely remake my
>> Windows partition, and so of course I lost grub.
>>
>> So I boot with a Knoppix CD, and do this: (I booted into text mode)
>>
>> fdisk -l
>> -> I see that /dev/hda1 is WinXP, and /dev/hda2 is Linux (with
>> /dev/hda5 as swap). That's all the partitions. Pretty simple, no?
>
> Which version of Kubuntu are you talking about?

I wasn't talking about Kubuntu at that point; I was booting with Knoppix
(which I had at hand, as I couldn't easily locate my Kubuntu CD).

Knoppix shows my HD as /dev/hda.