Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Paul S

Default how to authenticate my local repository

I'm collected a few Gb of packages during my install and would like to
store them on another partition in case I have to reinstall.

I've created a "trivial" repository .. just a directory with all the
packages in it. Used apt-ftparchive to create a Packages.gz, added a
md5sum.txt file, and added it to my sources.list.

After aptitude updating, the local repository gets included in the
archive lists (in /var/lib/apt/lists).

But, when I go to install from it, aptitude wants to download from the
net rather than pull from the local repository.

I think the problem is that aptitude prefers authenticated repositories
to unauthenticated ones.

So, I've created a gpg key and used "sudo apt-key add <>" to add it and
"apt-key list" to confirm it's there.

Next, I used apt-ftparchive to create a Release file in the repository.

Next, I used "gpg -abs -o Release.gpg Release" to authenticate the
repository.

Next, I use aptitude update to update the repository lists. But, now,
for some reason this repository Packages.gz is being excluded from the
/var/lib/apt/lists/ . However the Release and Release.gpg do get into
/var/lib/apt/lists/

I must be doing something wrong with the gpg authentication. I've been
unable to find any info googling so far. Everything refers to earlier
versions where aptitude was not picky about authentication. But, in
hardy, this is a change.

Anyone succeed with this?

TIA

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Paul S wrote:
> I've created a "trivial" repository .. just a directory with all the
> packages in it. *Used apt-ftparchive to create a Packages.gz, added a
> md5sum.txt file, and added it to my sources.list.
>
> After aptitude updating, the local repository gets included in the
> archive lists (in /var/lib/apt/lists).
>
> But, when I go to install from it, aptitude wants to download from the
> net rather than pull from the local repository.

Uhh... am I missing something here?

What's different about your approach than just leaving the downloaded files
in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ?? Except that your method sounds like a
log of work.

I have a central machine which I usually update via the normal download
process. Then I copy the archive files around to various other machines and
do the updates to those. Only one download for 'n' many updates. Sounds
like this is what you are trying to achieve.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Derek Broughton

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Paul S wrote:
>> I've created a "trivial" repository .. just a directory with all the
>> packages in it. *Used apt-ftparchive to create a Packages.gz, added a
>> md5sum.txt file, and added it to my sources.list.
>>
>> After aptitude updating, the local repository gets included in the
>> archive lists (in /var/lib/apt/lists).
>>
>> But, when I go to install from it, aptitude wants to download from the
>> net rather than pull from the local repository.

Pick a package. Do: apt-cache policy PACKAGE
That should give you a clue.

> Uhh... am I missing something here?
>
> What's different about your approach than just leaving the downloaded
> files
> in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ?? Except that your method sounds like
> a log of work.
>
> I have a central machine which I usually update via the normal download
> process. Then I copy the archive files around to various other machines
> and
> do the updates to those. Only one download for 'n' many updates.
> Sounds like this is what you are trying to achieve.

That's exactly what apt-ftparchive does. If you just copy the .debs around,
you have to use dpkg to install them. His way, with probably _less_ work
(I use apt-move to do the same thing, and it took 10 minutes to set up and
no more work), apt should find them.
--
derek

Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Paul S

Bruce Marshall said the following on 04/29/2008 04:25 PM:
> What's different about your approach than just leaving the downloaded
files
> in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ?? Except that your method sounds like a
> log of work.

It's 3.3 Gb that I was hoping to transfer to a DVD or another partition.
I just wanted to free up the space on /

regards,

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Paul S wrote:
> It's 3.3 Gb that I was hoping to transfer to a DVD or another partition.
> I just wanted to free up the space on /

is so, you can either mount big partition to /var/cache/apt, or make a
symbolic link /var/cache/apt/archives -> /mnt/big_partition
> But, when I go to install from it, aptitude wants to download from the net rather than pull from the local repository.

order in /etc/apt/sources.list is important. Move your repository at the
top.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Paul S

Alexander Smirnov said the following on 04/30/2008 03:27 AM:
> is so, you can either mount big partition to /var/cache/apt, or make a
> symbolic link /var/cache/apt/archives -> /mnt/big_partition

the link is what I seem to be succeeding with. Of course, putting it on
a dvd won't work, unless I leave the dvd in all the time or load it when
doing aptitude installs and remake links every time .. certainly not as
helpful as getting it working as it should.

> order in /etc/apt/sources.list is important. Move your repository at the
> top.

already have it at the top, and it makes no difference.

regards,

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Paul S wrote:
> the link is what I seem to be succeeding with. *Of course, putting it on
> a dvd won't work, unless I leave the dvd in all the time or load it when
> doing aptitude installs and remake links every time .. certainly not as
> helpful as getting it working as it should.

uhhhh you want to move it to a DVD, but you don't want to have the DVD
mounted all the time and you don't want to mount it when needed??

How do you think you can make that work?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> That's exactly what apt-ftparchive does. *If you just copy the .debs
> around, you have to use dpkg to install them. *His way, with probably
> _less_ work (I use apt-move to do the same thing, and it took 10 minutes to
> set up and no more work), apt should find them.

Don't think that is true. As long as I place them
in /var/cache/apt/archives/ the next update running any of the programs
(aptitude, adept, etc) will find the .debs in the archives and use them.
At least that has been my experience.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
"Willy Hamra"

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> That's exactly what apt-ftparchive does. *If you just copy the .debs

> around, you have to use dpkg to install them. *His way, with probably

> _less_ work (I use apt-move to do the same thing, and it took 10 minutes to

> set up and no more work), apt should find them.

Don't think that is true. * As long as I place them

in */var/cache/apt/archives/ *the next update running any of the programs

(aptitude, adept, etc) *will find the .debs in the archives and use them.

At least that has been my experience.

something i want to know, is it it enough to put them in this cache folder to be used, or do i need to kind of register them somehow?