Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Paul S

Default JFS vs EXT3 vs XFS vs ReiserFS

I've reinstalled hardy 4 times over the past 2 months due to the EXT3
filesystem getting corrupted. I didn't have any such problem on gutsy,
just hardy.

I'm just running a desktop, but using crypto and lvm to put both the
root and swap within the same partition, with a separate small /boot
partition. All done from the alternate installer.

So, after 3 installs with EXT3, I decided to try something else. I
notice the installer offers JFS, XFS, and ReiserFS, so I picked JFS for
the 4th reinstall.

I've been running it a couple days and have purposely crashed the system
at least 10 times and not yet had any filesystem problem. This makes me
believe there is some bug in the EXT3 driver rather than a hardware
problem on my harddrive. I have a Seagate Technologies harddrive.

I also noticed some bugs on launchpad about similar experiences with
EXT3, but no solutions.

I read some on wikipedia and googling, but I couldn't get anything more
than specifications .. nothing on performance comparisons among the 4.

Anyone know any reason to avoid JFS or use any other?

TIA,