Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Michael

Default ReiserFS

Not Kubuntu specific but interesting just the same. I don't think that
K/Ubuntu ever used this file system, did they?

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Apr28/0,4670,MissingMother,00.html

*OAKLAND, Calif. — A jury has found an Oakland software programmer
guilty in the death of his estranged wife.*

Hans Reiser was convicted Monday of first degree murder in the death of
Nina Reiser.

Nina Reiser disappeared more than a year ago after dropping the couple's
children off at Hans Reiser's home. Her body has never been found.

Prosecutors said during the trial that small amounts of her blood were
found in Reiser's home and car.

The defense argued there was no proof Nina Reiser was dead and suggested
she may be living in her native Russia. They said there was no direct
evidence linking Hans Reiser to her disappearance.

/Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed./

Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Derek Broughton

Michael wrote:

> /Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
> may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed./

Does it make it alright to reprint copyrighted material if you post the
copyright notice that proves you stole it?
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Michael wrote:
> Not Kubuntu specific but interesting just the same. I don't think that
> K/Ubuntu ever used this file system, did they?
I like it, and use in every K/Ubuntu installation.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Michael <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not Kubuntu specific but interesting just the same. I don't think that
> K/Ubuntu ever used this file system, did they?

Not by default, I don't think, but its not hard to format the
partition before installation.

> http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Apr28/0,4670,MissingMother,00.html
>
> *OAKLAND, Calif. — A jury has found an Oakland software programmer
> guilty in the death of his estranged wife.*
>
> Hans Reiser was convicted Monday of first degree murder in the death of
> Nina Reiser.
>
> Nina Reiser disappeared more than a year ago after dropping the couple's
> children off at Hans Reiser's home. Her body has never been found.
>
> Prosecutors said during the trial that small amounts of her blood were
> found in Reiser's home and car.
>
> The defense argued there was no proof Nina Reiser was dead and suggested
> she may be living in her native Russia. They said there was no direct
> evidence linking Hans Reiser to her disappearance.
>
> /Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
> may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed./

Very sad; if only he had engineered his family life the way he had
engineered his software he may not have ended up in this situation (of
course there are times when bad situations arise no matter how much
you try to engineer them away).

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Steven Vollom

Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> Not Kubuntu specific but interesting just the same. I don't think that
>> K/Ubuntu ever used this file system, did they?
>>
> I like it, and use in every K/Ubuntu installation.

I used it a short while. A friend recommended it. It worked fine; the
only problem that I could see was the fact that you have to defrag, like
when you use Microsoft products. Ext3 doesn't require defragmentation,
I am told. My experience is limited, however, I thought the defrag info
was interesting and worth looking into. I am still using Gutsy and Ext3
as my file system.

Steven

Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Alexander Smirnov wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>>> Not Kubuntu specific but interesting just the same. I don't think that
>>> K/Ubuntu ever used this file system, did they?
>>>
>> I like it, and use in every K/Ubuntu installation.
>>

> I used it a short while. A friend recommended it. It worked fine; the
> only problem that I could see was the fact that you have to defrag, like
> when you use Microsoft products. Ext3 doesn't require defragmentation,
> I am told. My experience is limited, however, I thought the defrag info
> was interesting and worth looking into. I am still using Gutsy and Ext3
> as my file system.

I had the bad experience of a couple of crashes using ReiserFS. Went
"back" to Ext3 and so far no problems whatsoever. Still on Gutsy though
but the 1-2 PC I am testing with Hardy behaves very well so far

Sinclair

Old 04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Steven Vollom

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Alexander Smirnov wrote:

>>> I like it, and use in every K/Ubuntu installation.
>>>

>> I used it a short while. A friend recommended it. It worked fine; the
>> only problem that I could see was the fact that you have to defrag, like
>> when you use Microsoft products. Ext3 doesn't require defragmentation,
>> I am told. My experience is limited, however, I thought the defrag info
>> was interesting and worth looking into. I am still using Gutsy and Ext3
>> as my file system.
>>

> I had the bad experience of a couple of crashes using ReiserFS. Went
> "back" to Ext3 and so far no problems whatsoever. Still on Gutsy though
> but the 1-2 PC I am testing with Hardy behaves very well so far
>
> Sinclair

I wish I could contribute more. I get so much help from the forum,
however, my skill level is not yet worthy of helping much. Every little
opportunity I get, I try though. I hope you get your problems solved.
I am installing Hefty on a separate partition and will soon dual boot
with Gutsy and Hefty. If I learn anything about which file system is
best, I will forward the news to you. Success!

Steven

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
"Jussi Kekkonen"

As far as I know, reiserfs is mostly aimed to systems having heavy io
load, or in other words, "disk traffic"

thus said, for most home users ext should be just fine but, you
also should be able to use reiser too if you like to without problems.

2008/4/29, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Steven Vollom wrote:

> >> I used it a short while. A friend recommended it. It worked fine; the
> >> only problem that I could see was the fact that you have to defrag, like
> >> when you use Microsoft products. Ext3 doesn't require defragmentation,
> >> I am told. My experience is limited, however, I thought the defrag info
> >> was interesting and worth looking into. I am still using Gutsy and Ext3
> >> as my file system.
> >>

> > I had the bad experience of a couple of crashes using ReiserFS. Went
> > "back" to Ext3 and so far no problems whatsoever. Still on Gutsy though
> > but the 1-2 PC I am testing with Hardy behaves very well so far
> >
> > Sinclair
> >

> I wish I could contribute more. I get so much help from the forum,
> however, my skill level is not yet worthy of helping much. Every little
> opportunity I get, I try though. I hope you get your problems solved.
> I am installing Hefty on a separate partition and will soon dual boot
> with Gutsy and Hefty. If I learn anything about which file system is
> best, I will forward the news to you. Success!
>
> Steven

Jussi Kekkonen

Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
"Eduardo Robles"

On 4/29/08, Jussi Kekkonen <jussi.kekkonen@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, reiserfs is mostly aimed to systems having heavy io
> load, or in other words, "disk traffic"
>
> thus said, for most home users ext should be just fine but, you
> also should be able to use reiser too if you like to without problems.

I always use reiserfs and it works fine. And I plan to continue using it..

Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Michael

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>

>> /Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
>> may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed./
>>

> Does it make it alright to reprint copyrighted material if you post the
> copyright notice that proves you stole it?

It is called citing your source.