Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Default ReiserFS

Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>> Not Kubuntu specific but interesting just the same. I don't think that
>> K/Ubuntu ever used this file system, did they?
> I like it, and use in every K/Ubuntu installation.

Kubuntu didn't - because Kubuntu has nothing to do with the installer - but
I'm fairly certain that one install I did defaulted to Reiser when I
partitioned the disk.
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>

>>> /Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
>>> may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed./
>>>

>> Does it make it alright to reprint copyrighted material if you post the
>> copyright notice that proves you stole it?
>>
> It is called citing your source.

No, it's called plagiarism. Fair use does NOT include stealing the whole
article. Just provide a URL and a summary.
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 9:02:27 am Michael wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Michael wrote:
> >> /Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
> >> may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed./
> >
> > Does it make it alright to reprint copyrighted material if you post the
> > copyright notice that proves you stole it?

You didn't steal it.

"Plagiarism is the practice of claiming or implying original authorship of (or
incorporating material from) someone else's written or creative work, in
whole or in part, into one's own without adequate acknowledgement."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

I could have written my own definition, instead I quoted wikipedia and cited
my source.

David M.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
"Senectus ."

> Very sad; if only he had engineered his family life the way he had
> engineered his software he may not have ended up in this situation (of
> course there are times when bad situations arise no matter how much
> you try to engineer them away).
>
> Andrew

I would conjecture that is the reason for the friction between himself
and his wife, who from many reports was just your average soccer mum.

Hans is a very abrasive guy, I used to watch his postings to the LKML
with much interest and anticipated entertainment. He got Linus riled
quite a few times, as he was always badgering Linus about having the
ReiserFS as a mainstream FS in Linux.
Linus disagreed with Hans about many things (stability, toolsets for
fixing it, bugs, reliability etc), and so slapped it down a lot.

I have no idea if he actually did it or not, but I'm hoping someone
picks up where namesys has died and continues work on this promising
FS.
then again, ZFS looks damned sweet as well :-)

--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono

Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, O. Sinclair wrote:
> I had the bad experience of a couple of crashes using ReiserFS. Went
> "back" to Ext3 and so far no problems whatsoever. Still on Gutsy though
> but the 1-2 PC I am testing with Hardy behaves very well so far

I used ResierFS for about a year back around 2000. But I went to install a
new release of SuSE and the new release couldn't read the older partitions.
I had to copy all the data to a temp partition (ext2) and then copy it back
after formatting the Reiser partition with a newer version of Reiser.

Decided to never use Reiser again and have been happy with ext3 ever since.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008, O. Sinclair wrote:
> > I had the bad experience of a couple of crashes using ReiserFS. Went
> > "back" to Ext3 and so far no problems whatsoever. Still on Gutsy though
> > but the 1-2 PC I am testing with Hardy behaves very well so far
>
> I used ResierFS for about a year back around 2000. But I went to install a
> new release of SuSE and the new release couldn't read the older partitions.
> I had to copy all the data to a temp partition (ext2) and then copy it back
> after formatting the Reiser partition with a newer version of Reiser.
>
> Decided to never use Reiser again and have been happy with ext3 ever since.

Well, that was *8* years ago ... things change in 8 years, you know ... :-)

Use whatever makes you happy, but basing decisions based on antiquity
may not be the best way to go. I used to use ReiserFS way back when
(up till about 3 years ago), and I never had that problem. I did have
a drive start to die, and when I re-formatted it, I decided to change
to a different filesystem, mostly because I could.

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
> Well, that was *8* years ago ... things change in 8 years, you know ... :-)
>
> Use whatever makes you happy, but basing decisions based on antiquity
> may not be the best way to go. I used to use ReiserFS way back when
> (up till about 3 years ago), and I never had that problem. I did have
> a drive start to die, and when I re-formatted it, I decided to change
> to a different filesystem, mostly because I could.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (referring to my use of ext3 since 8 yrs
ago)

I also used to use XFS and really liked it. But it is not as well supported
as ext* and I don't use it any more either.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Well, that was *8* years ago ... things change in 8 years, you know ... :-)
> >
> > Use whatever makes you happy, but basing decisions based on antiquity
> > may not be the best way to go. I used to use ReiserFS way back when
> > (up till about 3 years ago), and I never had that problem. I did have
> > a drive start to die, and when I re-formatted it, I decided to change
> > to a different filesystem, mostly because I could.
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (referring to my use of ext3 since 8 yrs
> ago)

In which case, nothing ever gets upgraded to newer, or better (not
that the two are not necessarily the same).

:-)

Just teasing. I use ext3 myself now, since it suits my minuscule home needs.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
> Just teasing. I use ext3 myself now, since it suits my minuscule home
> needs.

You got that right. I usually install each release from scratch...
starting with a 'lab rat' machine and moving on through two desktops, two
laptops, and a server.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Derek Broughton

David McGlone wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 April 2008 9:02:27 am Michael wrote:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> >
>> > Does it make it alright to reprint copyrighted material if you post the
>> > copyright notice that proves you stole it?
>
> You didn't steal it.
>
> "Plagiarism is the practice of claiming or implying original authorship of
> (or incorporating material from) someone else's written or creative work,
> in whole or in part, into one's own without adequate acknowledgement."

OK, plagiarism may be a bit harsh - however merely citing a copyright notice
is not generally considered "adequate" acknowledgement, so it's still
debatable. However, the text _was_ stolen. You can't just post
copyrighted material anywhere you want.

> Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism
>
> I could have written my own definition, instead I quoted wikipedia and
> cited my source.

Wikipedia is different, since you _do_ have a legal write to quote it.
--
derek