Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Valter Mura

Default Language problem with Firefox 3 beta

Hi All

In the new upgraded system, kKubuntu 8.04, somebody decided to upgrade the old
Firefox v. 2 with the new v. 3, which is still in beta version.
Now, I use the Italian version of Kubuntu, but the new Firefox appears to me
in English.

Any suggestion?

TIA,
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com

Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Valter Mura wrote:
> Hi All
>
> In the new upgraded system, kKubuntu 8.04, somebody decided to upgrade the old
> Firefox v. 2 with the new v. 3, which is still in beta version.
> Now, I use the Italian version of Kubuntu, but the new Firefox appears to me
> in English.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> TIA,

Hi,

if [ sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox-locale-it-it doesn't help ]; then
sudo apt-get install firefox-2
fi

Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
lanzen

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 06:09:03 Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> if [ sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox-locale-it-it doesn't help ]; then
> * * sudo apt-get install firefox-2
> fi

LOL! Surely works better these days.

Anyway Valter, try this:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0b5/linux-i686/xpi/it.xpi

Let me know how it goes.

--
lanzen

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Valter Mura

Il marted์ 29 aprile 2008 14:26:18 lanzen ha scritto:

> On Tuesday 29 April 2008 06:09:03 Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> > if [ sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox-locale-it-it doesn't help ];
> > then sudo apt-get install firefox-2
> > fi
>
> LOL! Surely works better these days.
>
> Anyway Valter, try this:
>
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0b5/linux-i6
>86/xpi/it.xpi
>
> Let me know how it goes.

Thank you very much lanzen, you are very helpful... ;-) it works!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/4/29 lanzen <lanzenesi@gmail.com>:
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0b5/linux-i686/xpi/it.xpi
>
> Let me know how it goes.

I'm not the OP, but I was able to find country's language pack by
playing with the url. However, after restarting Firefox it is still in
English! I suppose that I need to update my locale:

hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$

How is the locale permanetly changed? "export" only changes the locale
until I close and reopen Konsole, and does not work for apps that were
not started in Konsole.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
lanzen

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 21:02:41 Valter Mura wrote:

> Thank you very much lanzen, you are very helpful... ;-) it works!!!

Good! You might have to disable/uninstall it when the proper packages come in
as an update. At least this is what happened in Ubuntu and I don't know if
the kde3/4 mix up has something to do with it.

--
lanzen

Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 AM
lanzen

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 23:23:35 Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I'm not the OP, but I was able to find country's language pack by
> playing with the url. However, after restarting Firefox it is still in
> English! I suppose that I need to update my locale:
>
> hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Yes, I think that's the reason.

$ locale
LANG=it_IT.UTF-8

You need to select the default language and place it up in the list if it's
not yet.

--
lanzen

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/30 lanzen <lanzenesi@gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008 23:23:35 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > I'm not the OP, but I was able to find country's language pack by
> > playing with the url. However, after restarting Firefox it is still in
> > English! I suppose that I need to update my locale:
> >
> > hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ locale
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>
> Yes, I think that's the reason.
>
> $ locale
> LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
>
> You need to select the default language and place it up in the list if it's
> not yet.
>
> --
> lanzen

For changing locale for the whole system the settings are in
/etc/default/locale.
Changing for a user add it to ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc for login shells
and ~/.bashrc
only for non-login shells. Bash will also read ~/.bash_login and ~/.bash_profile
if the exist. I'm not sure what what files KDM will read at login perhaps some
else know?

/ Jonas

Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/4/30 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> For changing locale for the whole system the settings are in
> /etc/default/locale.
> Changing for a user add it to ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc for login shells
> and ~/.bashrc
> only for non-login shells. Bash will also read ~/.bash_login and ~/.bash_profile
> if the exist. I'm not sure what what files KDM will read at login perhaps some
> else know?

Thanks. I'm not sure where I need to put it. I put the export command
in bashrc, but now Firefox is _still_ English, yet CLI programs are in
Hebrew. That is quite the opposite from what I'd like, as the CLI does
not work well with RTL languages.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Thilo Six

Valter Mura wrote the following on 28.04.2008 21:30

> Hi All
>
> In the new upgraded system, kKubuntu 8.04, somebody decided to upgrade the old
> Firefox v. 2 with the new v. 3, which is still in beta version.
> Now, I use the Italian version of Kubuntu, but the new Firefox appears to me
> in English.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> TIA,

$ sudo aptitude install language-pack-gnome-it language-pack-gnome-it-base
$ apt-file list language-pack-gnome-it language-pack-gnome-it-base | grep fire
language-pack-gnome-it-base:
/usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/langpack-it@firefox-3.0.ubuntu.com/chrome.manifest
language-pack-gnome-it-base:
/usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/langpack-it@firefox-3.0.ubuntu.com/chrome/it.jar