Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Valter Mura

Default Problem with linux kernel after upgrade to 8.04

Hi All,

I have successfully updated from 7.10 to 8.04 from the Internet and I have
obviously rebooted.

I tried to boot with the new updated kernel but my system continues to freeze
after the fsck. Only my old kernel (still inside!) 2.6.20 luckily works and I
can normally access to my system...

This is a big problem for me... I'm sure I cannot exploit all functions of the
new system without the last kernel.

Has anybody the same problem? Any suggestion?

My system:

Kubuntu 8.04
KDE 3.5.9
Intel P IV 2.8 Ghz / RAM 768 Mhz
Video card: ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB
One disk fully linux-dedicated (the other for Windows)
Grub on start up

Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com
Kubuntu Linux: www.ubuntu.com
Usa OpenOffice.org: www.openoffice.org
"Coltiva Linux, tanto Windows si pianta da solo"

Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
lanzen

On Monday 28 April 2008 21:25:17 Valter Mura wrote:

> I tried to boot with the new updated kernel but my system continues to
> freeze after the fsck. Only my old kernel (still inside!) 2.6.20 luckily
> works and I can normally access to my system...
>
> Has anybody the same problem? Any suggestion?

I was lucky as most of us, but I've seen some to have similar failures.

Have a look in the forums. You might find something close to what you have.

--
lanzen

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Valter Mura

Il marted́ 29 aprile 2008 14:30:23 lanzen ha scritto:

> > I tried to boot with the new updated kernel but my system continues to
> > freeze after the fsck. Only my old kernel (still inside!) 2.6.20 luckily
> > works and I can normally access to my system...
> >
> > Has anybody the same problem? Any suggestion?
>
> I was lucky as most of us, but I've seen some to have similar failures.
>
> Have a look in the forums. You might find something close to what you have.
>
> --
> lanzen

Thank you for the info, I've already posted there and I get only one
non-satisfactory reply like "wait for the 2.6.25 version...")

I've tried again to boot with the new kernel and now i can give some info
more:

After starting the boot, I got the Kubuntu splash screen with the progress bar
advancing (black to blue...), and in the bottom appeared the following:

- With linux 2.6.24-16-generic:

"routine check of drives: dev/sda1... 14% (stage 1/5, 257/1205)"

at this point the system is freezed, and I have to unplug the comp... :-/

- With linux 2.6.20-16-generic:

"the system starts regularly, and the check of the disk is performed
correctly" (I suppose so...)

Is there something that I could do with the Konsole to verify the problem? I'm
not very skilled with command line, but somebody could give me a help...

TIA

Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Valter Mura wrote:
>Il marted́ 29 aprile 2008 14:30:23 lanzen ha scritto:
>> > I tried to boot with the new updated kernel but my system continues to
>> > freeze after the fsck. Only my old kernel (still inside!) 2.6.20 luckily
>> > works and I can normally access to my system...
>> >
>> > Has anybody the same problem? Any suggestion?
>>
>> I was lucky as most of us, but I've seen some to have similar failures.
>>
>> Have a look in the forums. You might find something close to what you
>> have.
>>
>> --
>> lanzen
>
>Thank you for the info, I've already posted there and I get only one
>non-satisfactory reply like "wait for the 2.6.25 version...")
>
>I've tried again to boot with the new kernel and now i can give some info
>more:
>
>After starting the boot, I got the Kubuntu splash screen with the progress
> bar advancing (black to blue...), and in the bottom appeared the following:
>
>- With linux 2.6.24-16-generic:
>
>"routine check of drives: dev/sda1... 14% (stage 1/5, 257/1205)"

How big is that partition? On 100+Gb, e2fsck can go mute for minutes at a
time, about 10+ minutes on a 400Gb deathstar I have. But the drive activity
led is still flickering, so I let it go, and it eventually does finish.

>at this point the system is freezed, and I have to unplug the comp... :-/
>
>- With linux 2.6.20-16-generic:
>
>"the system starts regularly, and the check of the disk is performed
>correctly" (I suppose so...)
>
>Is there something that I could do with the Konsole to verify the problem?
> I'm not very skilled with command line, but somebody could give me a
> help...
>
>TIA
>--
>Valter
>Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com
>Registered Linux User #466410 http://counter.li.org
>Kubuntu Linux: www.ubuntu.com
>Usa OpenOffice.org: www.openoffice.org
>"Coltiva Linux, tanto Windows si pianta da solo"

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)