Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Gene Heskett

Default dl prob on 8.04

Greetings;

I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it severral
times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That erased and
restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days activities and
go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I look and its only
599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.

Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I went
looking for a .tor file for it.

And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 AM
"Jussi Schultink"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it severral
> times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That erased and
> restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days activities and
> go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I look and its only
> 599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.
>
> Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I went
> looking for a .tor file for it.
>
> And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?

Hi:

Kubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) torrents can be obtained at
http://se.cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/8.04/release/ (KDE
3.5.9) or http://se.cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-kde4/releases/8.04/release/
(KDE 4.0.3)

Jussi

Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it severral
> times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That erased and
> restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days activities and
> go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I look and its only
> 599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.
>
> Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I went
> looking for a .tor file for it.
>
> And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?

I assume you are actually looking for Ubuntu (rather than Kubuntu)
because you said LTS. Here is a *Ubuntu* torrent straight from the
MIT Media lab:
http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

HTH
Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 April 2008, Jussi Schultink wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it
>> severral times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That
>> erased and restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days
>> activities and go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I
>> look and its only 599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.
>>
>> Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I
>> went looking for a .tor file for it.
>>
>> And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?
>
>Hi:
>
>Kubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) torrents can be obtained at
>http://se.cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/8.04/release/ (KDE
>3.5.9) or http://se.cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-kde4/releases/8.04/release/
>(KDE 4.0.3)

Unforch, these are not the LTS versions. What I had in mind since I'm a KDE
fan, was to use the Ubuntu image, and install KDE-3.5.9 later. And I note
that there is not a kde-3.5.9/kde-4.0.3 choice there so I have NDI what the
x86 torrent I just grabbed will actually turn out to be.

Thanks.

>Jussi
>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> Don't tell any big lies today. Small ones can be just as effective.
>>
>> --

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Faith goes out through the window when beauty comes in at the door.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 April 2008, Andrew Jarrett wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it
>> severral times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That
>> erased and restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days
>> activities and go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I
>> look and its only 599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.
>>
>> Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I
>> went looking for a .tor file for it.
>>
>> And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?
>
>I assume you are actually looking for Ubuntu (rather than Kubuntu)
>because you said LTS. Here is a *Ubuntu* torrent straight from the
>MIT Media lab:
>http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.is
>o.torrent

Thats the one I was looking for, thanks.

>HTH
>Andrew
>
>--
>45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Old Mother Hubbard lived in a shoe,
She had so many children,
She didn't know what to do.
So she moved to Atlanta.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Billie Walsh

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it severral
> times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That erased and
> restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days activities and
> go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I look and its only
> 599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.
>
> Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I went
> looking for a .tor file for it.
>
> And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?

I used kget to download the CD. I set it to restart if/when it stalled
and just left to run for a day while I went and did other things. It
eventually made it. Checked the MD5sum and it was correct
so........................

Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 April 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I tried to dl the ubuntu-8.04 LTS cd yesterday, and had to restart it
>> severral times as the repo's were moving like a dialup circuit. That
>> erased and restarted it several times. So when I get done with the days
>> activities and go to burn a copy, k3b complains about the image size, I
>> look and its only 599MiB, was supposed to be 699MiB.
>>
>> Since the quickest way to fix this would be to 'restart' a torrent, I went
>> looking for a .tor file for it.
>>
>> And I have struck out so far. Anybody have a URL for it?
>
>I used kget to download the CD. I set it to restart if/when it stalled
>and just left to run for a day while I went and did other things. It
>eventually made it. Checked the MD5sum and it was correct

With the torrent, it was 5x faster, so I have it and have burnt it now.
The torrent however did not grab the md5sum file, a bug in the torrent I
believe.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene