Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default 64 bit: these are my apps

Due to kernel problems with the 32 bit Kubuntu, I am considering
trying 64 bit. I know that 32 bit firefox can be installed on
a 64 bit system, but what about these other apps:
* VirtualBox non-free. I use the non-free as I need USB support
* Thunderbird (if Firefox is problematic, than thunderbird might be too)
* Wine (only for winplot32)
* GoogleEarth
* Sun Java (need it for studies)

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 AM
"Geoffrey Bays"

Dotan: I am using 64-bit Kubuntu.There are flash problems with 64-bit
firefox as you know. Java 5.0 or 6.0 are just fine, but there is no
64-bit jre plugin for Firefox/Opera to run applets, at least not
yet.thunderbird is just fine.Have not tried Wine yet.

Cheers,

geoff Bays

Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> * VirtualBox non-free. I use the non-free as I need USB support

I believe I was using the non-free on my 64-bit system at one time.

> * Thunderbird (if Firefox is problematic, than thunderbird might be too)

I'm sure it is not a problem.

> * Wine (only for winplot32)

There is a little special setup I think, but nothing too difficult.
I'm not sure if you actually have to follow these instructions, but I
think I did (for some reason).
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb
I have never used winplot32 through, though. Try checking the Wine
App Database.

> * GoogleEarth

No idea.

> * Sun Java (need it for studies)

I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box. I
believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre). If you need more, then
you can try:
apt-cache search sun java
at the command-line.

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Knapp

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Andrew Jarrett
<jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * VirtualBox non-free. I use the non-free as I need USB support
>
> I believe I was using the non-free on my 64-bit system at one time.
>

> > * Thunderbird (if Firefox is problematic, than thunderbird might be too)
>
> I'm sure it is not a problem.
>
> > * Wine (only for winplot32)
>
> There is a little special setup I think, but nothing too difficult.
> I'm not sure if you actually have to follow these instructions, but I
> think I did (for some reason).
> http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb
> I have never used winplot32 through, though. Try checking the Wine
> App Database.
>
> > * GoogleEarth
>
> No idea.
>

> > * Sun Java (need it for studies)

I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box. I
> believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
> development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
> runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre). If you need more, then
> you can try:
> apt-cache search sun java
> at the command-line.

I can't add much to this but to say that I am running 64 bit and use
Firefox (really swiftweasel), java (with swift, so must be 32 bit??),
wine, and google earth on it. I would tell you which was 32 bit but I
don't remember. So anyway it can work.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/4/28 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
> > > * Sun Java (need it for studies)
> >
> I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box. I
> > believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
> > development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
> > runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre). If you need more, then
> > you can try:
> > apt-cache search sun java
> > at the command-line.
> >

> I can't add much to this but to say that I am running 64 bit and use
> Firefox (really swiftweasel), java (with swift, so must be 32 bit??),
> wine, and google earth on it. I would tell you which was 32 bit but I
> don't remember. So anyway it can work.

Thanks, Douglas. I see that an earlier post mentioned that Java would
not work in Firefox, which is specifically what I need for studies.
You post makes me see that it is possible. I may install 64 bit later
this week. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Knapp

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box. I
> > > believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
> > > development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
> > > runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre). If you need more, then
> > > you can try:
> > > apt-cache search sun java
> > > at the command-line.
> > >

> > I can't add much to this but to say that I am running 64 bit and use
> > Firefox (really swiftweasel), java (with swift, so must be 32 bit??),
> > wine, and google earth on it. I would tell you which was 32 bit but I
> > don't remember. So anyway it can work.
>
> Thanks, Douglas. I see that an earlier post mentioned that Java would
> not work in Firefox, which is specifically what I need for studies.
> You post makes me see that it is possible. I may install 64 bit later
> this week. Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

NP, I think this is a 32 VS 64 bit firefox issue but both will run on
the 64 bit OS.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
"Kelly L. Fulks"

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I need it for my studies too and I had it working on my 64-bit box. I
>> > believe the necessary package is called sun-java6-jdk (this is the
>> > development kit which I assume you need - the package for just the
>> > runtime environment is called sun-java6-jre). If you need more, then
>> > you can try:
>> > apt-cache search sun java
>> > at the command-line.
>> >

>> I can't add much to this but to say that I am running 64 bit and use
>> Firefox (really swiftweasel), java (with swift, so must be 32 bit??),
>> wine, and google earth on it. I would tell you which was 32 bit but I
>> don't remember. So anyway it can work.
>
> Thanks, Douglas. I see that an earlier post mentioned that Java would
> not work in Firefox, which is specifically what I need for studies.
> You post makes me see that it is possible. I may install 64 bit later
> this week. Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Dotan,

I have loaded 64 bit Kubuntu on a new machine. I loaded 7.10 as I don't
like loading the latest release so quickly after it comes out on my
"production" machine. I don't necessarily use all the applications that
you use, but I wanted to relate my experience as a first time x86_64 user.

Overall, the experience has been very good. The install went smooth, I
had to use a text install as I couldn't seem to get the live CD to work
with my dual 7300GT video cards (personal problem I later discovered).
Everything installed and worked as expected (more or less).

I had to go through a couple of minor hoops to get Flash working on the
system, but nothing major. I just had to make sure that all the
prerequisites were installed properly. As to the programs that you use,
I don't use VirtualBox, but VMWare is running very well. I have had no
issues with FireFox or Thunderbird either one. Both seem to be stable
and working very well (only up for a couple of days right now). I have
installed Wine and IEs4Linux (I do some web site development and need to
check it) and that works as expected. GoogleEarth screams on this
machine, it becomes a usable application for me.

I installed Sun Java 6 and it went on without an issue, I haven't done
anything with it yet, but plan to do so shortly. However, the Java
Plug-in is not there for it. However, I installed the icedtea (Java 7)
plugin and it seems to be working for me. I have used it to pull up a
couple of sites with Java Applets and not problems have been experienced
with it.

I haven't fully tested everything on this new machine, but so far I am
impressed with it. I don't see any real reason not to run the 64 bit
version for most users. My only lasting issue is with sound, but it is
specific to my install. I will be putting a sound card in the system in
the next day or two to hopefully fix that problem. The ASUS M2N-SLI
motherboard uses a C-Media USB sound system that apparently ALSA doesn't
really like.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Knapp

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Kelly L. Fulks <kfulks@knology.net> wrote:
> [...]
> machine, it becomes a usable application for me.
>
> I installed Sun Java 6 and it went on without an issue, I haven't done
> anything with it yet, but plan to do so shortly. However, the Java
> Plug-in is not there for it. However, I installed the icedtea (Java 7)
> plugin and it seems to be working for me. I have used it to pull up a
> couple of sites with Java Applets and not problems have been experienced
> with it.
>
> I haven't fully tested everything on this new machine, but so far I am
> impressed with it. I don't see any real reason not to run the 64 bit
> version for most users. My only lasting issue is with sound, but it is
> specific to my install. I will be putting a sound card in the system in
> the next day or two to hopefully fix that problem. The ASUS M2N-SLI
> motherboard uses a C-Media USB sound system that apparently ALSA doesn't

I have found that yahoo games is a good place to test Java, try chess
or go. Can't say yahoo is good for much else. Also the games site will
not work well with ad filters turned on.

Often you can go into your bios and tell it to change the sound and
then it will work with Linux.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/4/29 Kelly L. Fulks <kfulks@knology.net>:
> Dotan,
>
> I have loaded 64 bit Kubuntu on a new machine. I loaded 7.10 as I don't
> like loading the latest release so quickly after it comes out on my
> "production" machine. I don't necessarily use all the applications that
> you use, but I wanted to relate my experience as a first time x86_64 user.
>
> Overall, the experience has been very good. The install went smooth, I
> had to use a text install as I couldn't seem to get the live CD to work
> with my dual 7300GT video cards (personal problem I later discovered).
> Everything installed and worked as expected (more or less).
>
> I had to go through a couple of minor hoops to get Flash working on the
> system, but nothing major. I just had to make sure that all the
> prerequisites were installed properly. As to the programs that you use,
> I don't use VirtualBox, but VMWare is running very well. I have had no
> issues with FireFox or Thunderbird either one. Both seem to be stable
> and working very well (only up for a couple of days right now). I have
> installed Wine and IEs4Linux (I do some web site development and need to
> check it) and that works as expected. GoogleEarth screams on this
> machine, it becomes a usable application for me.
>
> I installed Sun Java 6 and it went on without an issue, I haven't done
> anything with it yet, but plan to do so shortly. However, the Java
> Plug-in is not there for it. However, I installed the icedtea (Java 7)
> plugin and it seems to be working for me. I have used it to pull up a
> couple of sites with Java Applets and not problems have been experienced
> with it.
>
> I haven't fully tested everything on this new machine, but so far I am
> impressed with it. I don't see any real reason not to run the 64 bit
> version for most users. My only lasting issue is with sound, but it is
> specific to my install. I will be putting a sound card in the system in
> the next day or two to hopefully fix that problem. The ASUS M2N-SLI
> motherboard uses a C-Media USB sound system that apparently ALSA doesn't
> really like.

Thanks. I see that I may be able to get by with 64 bit better than I
thought. In the end, I wound up reinstalling 32 bit as I've no more
CDs to burn, but I will test install a 64 bit system to see how it
goes before I need it. I've 10GB set away on this drive just for that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.