Old 04-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Michael

Default xorg.conf with a live-cd

I have a machine that has Linux but not (yet, but soon) Kubuntu on it.
I can not seem to get the display to work correctly. I've tried
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but it doesn't seem to help. (I have two
black bars on each side of the screen.) However, the Kubuntu Live CD
that I have seems to display perfectly. My question is, since this is a
Live CD and doesn't make any changes to the hard drive, where is the
xorg.conf file located while the Live CD is running? I am thinking if I
can email myself the Live CD xorg.con file, I can the exchange it for
the one that doesn't seem to work properly. Make sense?

Mike

Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Michael <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> where is the
> xorg.conf file located while the Live CD is running?

The xorg.conf file should be located at: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Try
typing in Dolphin's (or Konqueror's) location bar "/etc/X11" and you
should see it in that directory.

> I am thinking if I
> can email myself the Live CD xorg.con file, I can the exchange it for
> the one that doesn't seem to work properly. Make sense?

It sure does; it's an often used tactic around this list. If you have
a thumbdrive it might be a little easier, but it's just the same.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 AM
alan c

Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Michael <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
>> where is the
>> xorg.conf file located while the Live CD is running?
>
> The xorg.conf file should be located at: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Try
> typing in Dolphin's (or Konqueror's) location bar "/etc/X11" and you
> should see it in that directory.
>
>> I am thinking if I
>> can email myself the Live CD xorg.con file, I can the exchange it for
>> the one that doesn't seem to work properly. Make sense?
>
> It sure does; it's an often used tactic around this list. If you have
> a thumbdrive it might be a little easier, but it's just the same.

I am having trouble with 8.04 live CD and a dell inspiron 1100, and
looking at the xorg.conf for 8.04 shows that it is a pale shadow of
its previous self.....

A later version of xorg is being used which is apparently better at
auto configuring. However, it looks to me that less happens in
xorg.conf itself (?)

Unfortunately I do not know enough to trouble shoot the new system
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391