FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Jesus Arocho
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

Having tested Hardy for a week on my basic box I decided to take the plunge
and update my music studio box, running KubuntuStudio. Two issues: first,
the system no longer recognizes the CD/DVD writer and second, I got the same
screen and menus I had before (which I don't mind since I am still not fond
of the Hardy's icons and menus). How can I check or get the box to recognize
the CD/DVD drive?

Thanks

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 PM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
> Having tested Hardy for a week on my basic box I decided to take the plunge
> and update my music studio box, running KubuntuStudio. Two issues: first,
> the system no longer recognizes the CD/DVD writer and second, I got the same
> screen and menus I had before (which I don't mind since I am still not fond
> of the Hardy's icons and menus). How can I check or get the box to recognize
> the CD/DVD drive?
>
Hi

I noticed on my box that my DVD has moved from /dev/hda to /dev/sdc0 when i
upgraded to Hardy. Could it be that?

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Michael
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

Jonas Norlander wrote:

2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:


Having tested Hardy for a week on my basic box I decided to take the plunge
and update my music studio box, running KubuntuStudio. Two issues: first,
the system no longer recognizes the CD/DVD writer and second, I got the same
screen and menus I had before (which I don't mind since I am still not fond
of the Hardy's icons and menus). How can I check or get the box to recognize
the CD/DVD drive?



Hi

I noticed on my box that my DVD has moved from /dev/hda to /dev/sdc0 when i
upgraded to Hardy. Could it be that?

/ Jonas

Now, I will be the first to acknowledge my limited Linux skills, but I
thought /dev/hda was always the first hard drive . . .








--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Jesus Arocho
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

On Sunday 27 April 2008 18:18:07 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
> > Having tested Hardy for a week on my basic box I decided to take the
> > plunge and update my music studio box, running KubuntuStudio. Two
> > issues: first, the system no longer recognizes the CD/DVD writer and
> > second, I got the same screen and menus I had before (which I don't mind
> > since I am still not fond of the Hardy's icons and menus). How can I
> > check or get the box to recognize the CD/DVD drive?
>
> Hi
>
> I noticed on my box that my DVD has moved from /dev/hda to /dev/sdc0 when i
> upgraded to Hardy. Could it be that?
>
> / Jonas

No hda on this box. All I see is the sda of the harddrive. I would have
expected a /dev/cdrom or a /dev/sdc0.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Michael <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, I will be the first to acknowledge my limited Linux skills, but I
> thought /dev/hda was always the first hard drive . . .

Ubuntu (or Linux kernel?) recently (sometime within the last year or
so) changed all hard drives to /dev/sd[insert letter here]. I may be
mistaken, but, you know, I have never been mistaken in my entire life.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
>
> On Sunday 27 April 2008 18:18:07 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > 2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
> > > Having tested Hardy for a week on my basic box I decided to take the
> > > plunge and update my music studio box, running KubuntuStudio. Two
> > > issues: first, the system no longer recognizes the CD/DVD writer and
> > > second, I got the same screen and menus I had before (which I don't mind
> > > since I am still not fond of the Hardy's icons and menus). How can I
> > > check or get the box to recognize the CD/DVD drive?
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I noticed on my box that my DVD has moved from /dev/hda to /dev/sdc0 when i
> > upgraded to Hardy. Could it be that?
> >
> > / Jonas
>
> No hda on this box. All I see is the sda of the harddrive. I would have
> expected a /dev/cdrom or a /dev/sdc0.
>

Wrong of me it should be /dev/scd* for CD/DVD. I have this devices:
jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/cdrom3 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/cdrw3 -> scd0
jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/dvd3 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/dvdrw3 -> scd0
jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/scd0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2008-04-28 10:59 /dev/scd0

There must be a bug in udev with Hardy. I don't have three dvd drives
as one would think looking at the symlinks (/dev/dvd3) and there is
no /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom symlink that most program will try to use.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Jesus Arocho
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

> Wrong of me it should be /dev/scd* for CD/DVD. I have this devices:
> jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/cdrom3 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/cdrw3 -> scd0
> jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/dvd3 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/dvdrw3 -> scd0
> jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/scd0
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2008-04-28 10:59 /dev/scd0
>
> There must be a bug in udev with Hardy. I don't have three dvd drives
> as one would think looking at the symlinks (/dev/dvd3) and there is
> no /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom symlink that most program will try to use.
>
> / Jonas

I think it goes beyond just udev, yesterday I took out the postgres startup
script from /etc/rc5.d (not on the 64 machine) and it still starts up the
postgres server.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
> I think it goes beyond just udev, yesterday I took out the postgres startup
> script from /etc/rc5.d (not on the 64 machine) and it still starts up the
> postgres server.
>

Think i know why it still starts for you. In Ubuntu/Debian the default runlevel
is 2 so removing the script from /dev/rc2.d/ should do it.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Mark Fraser
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

On Monday 28 April 2008 09:10:01 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
> > On Sunday 27 April 2008 18:18:07 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > > 2008/4/28 Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net>:
> > > > Having tested Hardy for a week on my basic box I decided to take the
> > > > plunge and update my music studio box, running KubuntuStudio. Two
> > > > issues: first, the system no longer recognizes the CD/DVD writer and
> > > > second, I got the same screen and menus I had before (which I don't
> > > > mind since I am still not fond of the Hardy's icons and menus). How
> > > > can I check or get the box to recognize the CD/DVD drive?
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I noticed on my box that my DVD has moved from /dev/hda to /dev/sdc0
> > > when i upgraded to Hardy. Could it be that?
> > >
> > > / Jonas
> >
> > No hda on this box. All I see is the sda of the harddrive. I would
> > have expected a /dev/cdrom or a /dev/sdc0.
>
> Wrong of me it should be /dev/scd* for CD/DVD. I have this devices:
> jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/cdrom3 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/cdrw3 -> scd0
> jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/dvd3 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-04-28 08:59 /dev/dvdrw3 -> scd0
> jonas@thor:~/Bilder$ ls -l /dev/scd0
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2008-04-28 10:59 /dev/scd0
>
> There must be a bug in udev with Hardy. I don't have three dvd drives
> as one would think looking at the symlinks (/dev/dvd3) and there is
> no /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom symlink that most program will try to use.

I had this too, had to rename /dev/dvd3 to /dev/dvd so that Kaffeine would
play a DVD. Don't think this is limited to Hardy, as I'm getting it with
Gutsy too:

mfraser@Rachael:~/Desktop/Documents/Video/DVB/Record$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrom4 -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrom5 -> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrw4 -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrw5 -> hdb
mfraser@Rachael:~/Desktop/Documents/Video/DVB/Record$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/dvd4 -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/dvdrw4 -> hda

--
Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default Upgrade to Hardy on Athlon 64 dual core

2008/4/28 Mark Fraser <kubuntu@mfraz74.orangehome.co.uk>:
> I had this too, had to rename /dev/dvd3 to /dev/dvd so that Kaffeine would
> play a DVD. Don't think this is limited to Hardy, as I'm getting it with
> Gutsy too:
>
> mfraser@Rachael:~/Desktop/Documents/Video/DVB/Record$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrom4 -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrom5 -> hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrw4 -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/cdrw5 -> hdb
> mfraser@Rachael:~/Desktop/Documents/Video/DVB/Record$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/dvd4 -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-04-28 08:03 /dev/dvdrw4 -> hda
>

The cause to our problem is the udev rule file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.
It is generated by /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cd-aliases-generator.rules.
The point with
that is to always have a symlink (/dev/dvd) pointing to your device no
matter if you
add or remove some other cd devices.

The fix for me was to remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
and it will be recreated
at reboot.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org