Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Michael

Default Assigning ROOT a password. WAS: Graphical Display Managers

Michael Leone wrote:
> Assign root a password, and then you should be able to log in as root.
> It's your machine - if you want to run it that way, do so. Just because
> Kubuntu doesn't provide one by default, doesn't mean you can't (or
> shouldn't) do what works best for your own situation.
>
> I always provide a root password, as the first thing I do on an Ubuntu
> install, as I prefer to be able to login as root, or su to root, as I
> feel I need to, to manage my machine as I see best. My choice, of course.

I didn't know this was possible! One of my biggest (actually, probably
my only) peeve about K/Ubuntu is not having a ROOT account. I forget
the logic that used to make this decision. In any case, if I remember
correctly, it had something to do with ease of transition for Windows
users. I always thought that was a load of b*llsh*t 'cause even Windows
has ADMIN accounts.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. How does one go about assigning ROOT a password?

Mike

Old 04-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Michael Leone

Michael wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
>> Assign root a password, and then you should be able to log in as root.
>> It's your machine - if you want to run it that way, do so. Just because
>> Kubuntu doesn't provide one by default, doesn't mean you can't (or
>> shouldn't) do what works best for your own situation.
>>
>> I always provide a root password, as the first thing I do on an Ubuntu
>> install, as I prefer to be able to login as root, or su to root, as I
>> feel I need to, to manage my machine as I see best. My choice, of course.
>
> I didn't know this was possible! One of my biggest (actually, probably
> my only) peeve about K/Ubuntu is not having a ROOT account. I forget
> the logic that used to make this decision. In any case, if I remember
> correctly, it had something to do with ease of transition for Windows
> users. I always thought that was a load of b*llsh*t 'cause even Windows
> has ADMIN accounts.
>
> Anyway, I'll stop ranting. How does one go about assigning ROOT a password?

sudo passwd root

<http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-and-disable-ubuntu-root-password.html>

You just have to be careful, that's all. Of course, even if you don't
assign root a password, you have to be careful you don't do something
like "sudo rm -rf /*.*", too. :-) That'll mess up your whole day ...

--
Michael J. Leone Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael wrote:

> Michael Leone wrote:
>> Assign root a password, and then you should be able to log in as root.
>> It's your machine - if you want to run it that way, do so. Just because
>> Kubuntu doesn't provide one by default, doesn't mean you can't (or
>> shouldn't) do what works best for your own situation.
>>
>> I always provide a root password, as the first thing I do on an Ubuntu
>> install, as I prefer to be able to login as root, or su to root, as I
>> feel I need to, to manage my machine as I see best. My choice, of course.
>
> I didn't know this was possible! One of my biggest (actually, probably
> my only) peeve about K/Ubuntu is not having a ROOT account. I forget
> the logic that used to make this decision. In any case, if I remember
> correctly, it had something to do with ease of transition for Windows
> users. I always thought that was a load of b*llsh*t 'cause even Windows
> has ADMIN accounts.

It was NEVER about Windows users. It's simply more secure to not have a
known superuser account, and to use sudo for privileged operations.
--
derek

Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Leone wrote:

> You just have to be careful, that's all. Of course, even if you don't
> assign root a password, you have to be careful you don't do something
> like "sudo rm -rf /*.*", too. :-) That'll mess up your whole day ...

There are less obvious ways:

$ cd /etc
$ sudo rm -r /home/derek/something *

Whatever "something" was, it was a directory I'd accidentally created under
sudo, so I needed to use sudo to delete it. Unfortunately there was
supposed to be a / between "something" and "*". Oops. Bye-bye /etc/*!
--
derek

Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
>
> > You just have to be careful, that's all. Of course, even if you don't
> > assign root a password, you have to be careful you don't do something
> > like "sudo rm -rf /*.*", too. :-) That'll mess up your whole day ...
>
> There are less obvious ways:
>
> $ cd /etc
> $ sudo rm -r /home/derek/something *
>
> Whatever "something" was, it was a directory I'd accidentally created under
> sudo, so I needed to use sudo to delete it. Unfortunately there was
> supposed to be a / between "something" and "*". Oops. Bye-bye /etc/*!

D'OH!

A very good point, that hadn't occurred to me. makes you think that
having a prompt whenever you do a "rm -rf", as an extra measure, might
not be a bad idea.

> --
> derek

Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Leone wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> Michael Leone wrote:
>>
>> > You just have to be careful, that's all. Of course, even if you don't
>> > assign root a password, you have to be careful you don't do something
>> > like "sudo rm -rf /*.*", too. :-) That'll mess up your whole day ...
>>
>> There are less obvious ways:
>>
>> $ cd /etc
>> $ sudo rm -r /home/derek/something *
>>
>> Whatever "something" was, it was a directory I'd accidentally created
>> under
>> sudo, so I needed to use sudo to delete it. Unfortunately there was
>> supposed to be a / between "something" and "*". Oops. Bye-bye /etc/*!
>
> D'OH!
>
> A very good point, that hadn't occurred to me. makes you think that
> having a prompt whenever you do a "rm -rf", as an extra measure, might
> not be a bad idea.

Well, you can never protect everybody from their own stupidity - or even
clumsiness :-) I think we'd mostly just find this sort of thing annoying
(besides which, -f is used to ensure we don't get prompted).

--
derek