Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

Default Graphical Display Managers

2008/4/27 Constantinos Maltezos <pandarsson@yahoo.com>:

> Also... to the original poster, as you know, you can choose which window
> manager to log into via the menu. If you use "startx", you have to add the
> wm binary and it's full path to launch a certain wm. For instance, if I want
> to start X with icewm managing the windows, I type "startx /usr/bin/icewm".
> Typing it without an argument always gives you the default.

When i starting X with the startx script i always add the programs i wanted
to run in ~./.xinitrc. Something like this:

cat > ~/.xinitrc << "EOF"
# Begin .xinitrc file
xterm -g 80x40+0+0 &
xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
twm
EOF

Your window manager must be the last command and not running in the
background. For KDE replace twm with startkde, for fluxbox replace with
startfluxbox.

/ Jonas

Old 04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
"Girard Henri"

dpkg-reconfigure kdm /gdm or kdm-kde4 let you choose the startup manager.

at the moment I keep dpkg-reconfigure gdm
because the others block..