Old 04-27-2008, 02:48 PM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

Default Adding icons to the desktop

Hi Jesus,

On 27/04/2008, Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net> wrote:
> In kde3 a right click brings up a menu with the option of adding an icon to
> the desktop, not so in kde4. Other than adding an icon from the menu and
> renaming, how are icons added to the desktop?

Add the "Icon" widget, then right click on the icon and edit icon settings

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Jesus Arocho

On Sunday 27 April 2008 10:48:06 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Jesus,
>
> On 27/04/2008, Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net> wrote:
> > In kde3 a right click brings up a menu with the option of adding an icon
> > to the desktop, not so in kde4. Other than adding an icon from the menu
> > and renaming, how are icons added to the desktop?
>
> Add the "Icon" widget, then right click on the icon and edit icon settings

Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion. The icon added would only
allow edits for a file. It was not a command type icon. Also, just by
serendipity I tried again and while in the add widget menu I clicked on the
icon to right of the yellow star icon and then all of the icons on my desktop
disappeared!!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

On 27/04/2008, Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion. The icon added would only
> allow edits for a file. It was not a command type icon. Also, just by
> serendipity I tried again and while in the add widget menu I clicked on the
> icon to right of the yellow star icon and then all of the icons on my desktop
> disappeared!!

Well, that's normal, es the "-" sign is used to remove the widget.

Why do you want to put a command icon on the desktop? This is very
common on the Windows desktop, I know, but IMHO only clutters the
desktop. To open an application you can either

a) open It from the menu
b) use klauncher with the ALT + F2 combination
c) use katapult: once it is started it resides in the kicker and can
be called with the ALT + Space combination
d) type the command in a terminal

with so many possibilities, you can easily forget the desktop icon for
the command.

But if you insist: in the menu, right click on the menu item and
select "Add to Desktop" which will put the command icon on the
desktop.

One alternative would be to choose the "Add to Panel" option, which
puts the icon into the panel below, not cluttering the desktop. It's
comparable with the "Quick launch" panel in Windows BTW.

Greets

Myriam

Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Ronnie Tucker

Jesus Arocho wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2008 10:48:06 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>
>> Hi Jesus,
>>
>> On 27/04/2008, Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In kde3 a right click brings up a menu with the option of adding an icon
>>> to the desktop, not so in kde4. Other than adding an icon from the menu
>>> and renaming, how are icons added to the desktop?
>>>
>> Add the "Icon" widget, then right click on the icon and edit icon settings
>>

> Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion. The icon added would only
> allow edits for a file. It was not a command type icon. Also, just by
> serendipity I tried again and while in the add widget menu I clicked on the
> icon to right of the yellow star icon and then all of the icons on my desktop
> disappeared!!

I think you can also copy things to the /home/user/Desktop folder too. I
noticed my Firefox3 did that, and the file it saved appeared on my desktop.

--
Ronnie Tucker

ronnie@ronnietucker.co.uk
www.RonnieTucker.co.uk