Old 04-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Michael

Default Graphical Display Managers

I know Google is my friend but I am being lazy and I am hoping I can get
a highly condensed version of an answer to the following:

What is the difference between GDM/KDM/XDM? What is the difference
between typing KDM/GDM/XDM at the command prompt and typing startx at
the command prompt?

I am asking because I downloaded Ubuntu and then download all of the KDE
stuff. However, it seems GDM is still the current graphical manager.
I just assumed (yes, I know) that by downloading and running KDE stuff,
that KDM would then become the default graphical manager.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 PM
lanzen

On Sunday 27 April 2008 15:08:18 Michael wrote:

> it seems GDM is still the current graphical manager

I thought if you downloaded kubuntu-desktop on top of ubuntu it would then
ask which one you would like as default. Didn't it do that?

StartUp-Manager may graphically help you to fix a few things. There's also
another command I've used, but I can't remember that straight away.

--
lanzen

Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Scott

Michael wrote:
> What is the difference between GDM/KDM/XDM?
GDM is the Gnome Desktop Manager and it is GTK based which is community
based. KDM is the K Desktop Manager (Kubuntu), it is Qt based which is
designed by a company called Trolltech that haves released QT as open
source. XDM is the Xfce Desktop(Xubuntu) which is a lightweight open
source desktop.

> What is the difference
> between typing KDM/GDM/XDM at the command prompt and typing startx at
> the command prompt?
What I think it means, and I am no expert , is if you type "startx"
you get the default login and if you type a specific manager you get
that specific manager.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Michael wrote:
> What is the difference between GDM/KDM/XDM?

XDM is the generic X11 graphical login manager. You get a username and a
password box, and little else. GDM and KDM are from GNOME and KDE
respectively, and they tend to feel more like GNOME or KDE respectively. Any
of the three will get the basic job done. The differences lie in things like
being able to log in a user automatically, displaying icons for users, sound
effects, background wallpapers, etc. KDM and GDM are substantially similar
to each other, but subtly different.

> What is the difference
> between typing KDM/GDM/XDM at the command prompt and typing startx at
> the command prompt?

If you type kdm or gdm or xdm at the command prompt, I don't think any of them
will work. You should use /etc/init.d/kdm | xdm | gdm to start these.

The main practical difference between using one of these and just running
startx is what kind of background you get behind your splash screen. On a
typical KDM-based setup logging into a KDE session, you get a nice wallpaper
behind the "KDE is starting up" display. If you use startx, you get a plain
gray background instead. That's the biggest difference, really. There might
be some other, more subtle differences with respect to environment variables
and so on.

> I am asking because I downloaded Ubuntu and then download all of the KDE
> stuff. However, it seems GDM is still the current graphical manager.
> I just assumed (yes, I know) that by downloading and running KDE stuff,
> that KDM would then become the default graphical manager.

If you sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm (or gdm or xdm) you should get the option to
pick which one you want to run.

In the end, it barely matters though, so don't pull your hair out.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 27 April 2008, lanzen wrote:
> I thought if you downloaded kubuntu-desktop *on top of ubuntu it would then
> ask which one you would like as default. Didn't it do that?
>
> StartUp-Manager may graphically help you to fix a few things. There's also
> another command I've used, but I can't remember that straight away.

Have you looked at the menu on the Login screen?

If more than one manager is installed, there *should* be a menu selection for
which one you want.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/27 Scott <slewin@bmts.com>:
> Michael wrote:
> > What is the difference between GDM/KDM/XDM?
> GDM is the Gnome Desktop Manager and it is GTK based which is community
> based. KDM is the K Desktop Manager (Kubuntu), it is Qt based which is
> designed by a company called Trolltech that haves released QT as open
> source. XDM is the Xfce Desktop(Xubuntu) which is a lightweight open
> source desktop.

Not true. XDM (X Window Display Manager) is the default display manager for the
X Windows System and is not related to the Xfce Desktop environment.

> > What is the difference
> > between typing KDM/GDM/XDM at the command prompt and typing startx at
> > the command prompt?
> What I think it means, and I am no expert , is if you type "startx"
> you get the default login and if you type a specific manager you get
> that specific manager.

KDM, GDM and XDM are a graphical login interface. After login they
will start your
desktop environment/Windown manager. If you login from a console with login(1)
it would not start X Windows and you have do it by running the startx script.

/ Jonas

Old 04-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Sunday 27 April 2008 8:45:48 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > What is the difference
> > between typing KDM/GDM/XDM at the command prompt and typing startx at
> > the command prompt?
>
> If you type kdm or gdm or xdm at the command prompt, I don't think any of
> them will work. You should use /etc/init.d/kdm | xdm | gdm to start these.

I can't get to a console terminal without video corruption on my Kubuntu
machine, so of course I can't test it, but in the other distro I have and in
every other flavor of Linux I've used, simply typing the name of the display
manager at the console will start that selected display manager *as long as
you are logged in as root* - which, of course, you can't in Kubuntu, so maybe
I don't have a point there. Except you can still probably still do it with
sudo.

> The main practical difference between using one of these and just running
> startx is what kind of background you get behind your splash screen. On a
> typical KDM-based setup logging into a KDE session, you get a nice
> wallpaper behind the "KDE is starting up" display. If you use startx, you
> get a plain gray background instead. That's the biggest difference, really.
> There might be some other, more subtle differences with respect to
> environment variables and so on.

This is true, but you left out the fact that "startx" will only start the
graphical interface for the user you're logged in as in the console, while
the display managers (kdm/gdm/xdm) act as login screens similarly to the
console login prompt. You choose what user you want from that point and it
loads the selected environment.

Also... to the original poster, as you know, you can choose which window
manager to log into via the menu. If you use "startx", you have to add the
wm binary and it's full path to launch a certain wm. For instance, if I want
to start X with icewm managing the windows, I type "startx /usr/bin/icewm".
Typing it without an argument always gives you the default.