Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 AM
"Pablo L. Berdaguer"

Default System video configuration

That's a very bad name for this thread, but I really don't know how to name
it.
My problem is:
When I first booted ubuntu 8.04 I noticed the splash picture bigger (lower
resolution). I deleted the quiet parameter and the text was actually much
bigger than in 7.10.
Not much to worry about so far. When I shut the system down, the shutting down
progress bar screen comes up horrible, no only in a very low resolution but
the text is almos imposible to read and there's a weird flicker I've never
seen in my lcd screen. It's actually scary.
Even worse, when I try to use the system consoles (X independent ones,
Ctrl+Alt+F?) they don't show most of the times... they work, I can see the
processes launched from those consoles from X. Some times I get to see the
text on the consoles... almost... in the same low-res flickery style as the
shutdown screen.
And recently I saw my X looking like that after letting the systen turn off
the monitor. But after a resolution switch with xrandr I recovered it.
Nothing of this ever happens with Gutsy or VVindovvs Vista (I have all the 3
OSs installed here now).

I tried different vga values in grub, most of them make the funny screens to
show nothing at all... which doesn't really solve my problem.

I hope someone can help me.
Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Nils Kassube

Pablo L. Berdaguer wrote:
> Even worse, when I try to use the system consoles (X independent ones,
> Ctrl+Alt+F?) they don't show most of the times... they work, I can see
> the processes launched from those consoles from X. Some times I get to
> see the text on the consoles... almost... in the same low-res flickery
> style as the shutdown screen.

> I tried different vga values in grub, most of them make the funny
> screens to show nothing at all... which doesn't really solve my
> problem.

Is it perhaps related to this bug?
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/129910>

Nils

Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 AM
"Pablo L. Berdaguer"

Well... it seems that bug affects people using Gutsy and vga parameter in the
bootloader. They say that is fixed. Any way... I get my weird screens even
without a vga parameter.

I have a HP Pavilion tx1270ep, that is AMD Turion64x2 TL-60 on NVIDIA GeForce
Go 6150.

Thanks,

Pablo