Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 AM
"Geoffrey Bays"

Default No onboard sound after upgrading to hardy

I just upgraded from kubuntu gutsy to hardy on my amd 64 x2 machine,
and am not getting any onboard sound. the sound worked in Gutsy. The
sound card seems to be detected in lspci:

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a34
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

yes, I unmuted and upped master sound level in kmix, hoping to hear
something, but no go.
artsd sound server is running as expected.
any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> I just upgraded from kubuntu gutsy to hardy on my amd 64 x2 machine,
> and am not getting any onboard sound. the sound worked in Gutsy. The
> sound card seems to be detected in lspci:
>
> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev
> a2) Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a34
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
> Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
> Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping
>
> yes, I unmuted and upped master sound level in kmix, hoping to hear
> something, but no go.
> artsd sound server is running as expected.
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> thanks

This may or may not be a solution, but it should be mentioned.

I installed kubuntu on an IBM laptop that previously ran gutsy just fine.

The sound wasn't working and I couldn't get the wireless working.

I added the wireless modules into /etc/initramfs/modules and then ran

update-initramfs thinking that if the modules were available at boot time,
the wireless card would be seen.... but it appeared that it was already seen
at boot so I didn't have much expectation of fixing anything.

I rebooted, and low and behold I had both sound and wireless.

Methinks there might be something wrong with the distributed initrd.

It wouldn't hurt to make a copy of your current initrd file and then run:

update-initramfs -k all -c

which will create a new initrd file. Then reboot.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 AM
Nigel Ridley

Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> I just upgraded from kubuntu gutsy to hardy on my amd 64 x2 machine,
> and am not getting any onboard sound. the sound worked in Gutsy. The
> sound card seems to be detected in lspci:
>
> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a34
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
> Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
> Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping
>
> yes, I unmuted and upped master sound level in kmix, hoping to hear
> something, but no go.
> artsd sound server is running as expected.
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> thanks

The following refers to some Dell laptops but it might give you a starter at troubleshooting:
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04/Issues/No_Sound_After_Distribution_Upgrade

HTH.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 04-27-2008, 02:36 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/27 Geoffrey Bays <charioteer7@gmail.com>:
> I just upgraded from kubuntu gutsy to hardy on my amd 64 x2 machine,
> and am not getting any onboard sound. the sound worked in Gutsy. The
> sound card seems to be detected in lspci:
>
> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a34
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
> Memory at fe024000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
> Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping
>
> yes, I unmuted and upped master sound level in kmix, hoping to hear
> something, but no go.
> artsd sound server is running as expected.
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> thanks

Hi

By just looking at the output of lspci will not tell you if drivers
have been loaded or
working. Better then to check the output of /proc/asound/cards (think it's that)
to see what soundcards has been recongised and drivers loaded for.

The command lsmod will show you what modules has been loaded. The driver
for your card i think is snd-hda-intel, see if that is loaded.

/ Jonas

Old 04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> The command lsmod will show you what modules has been loaded. The driver
> for your card i think is snd-hda-intel, see if that is loaded.

Another very helpful command is the hwinfo command.

hwinfo --sound would show you something like:

Note at the bottom it shows you the driver needed and whether it is active or
not.

29: PCI 304.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.296]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1102_2
Unique ID: AMUB.iJ3+UojVbB1
Parent ID: 6NW+.c7JTK_YUBi2
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:03:04.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:03:04.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "Creative SBLive! 5.1 Model SB0100"
Vendor: pci 0x1102 "Creative Labs"
Device: pci 0x0002 "SB Live! EMU10k1"
SubVendor: pci 0x1102 "Creative Labs"
SubDevice: pci 0x8064 "SBLive! 5.1 Model SB0100"
Revision: 0x07
Driver: "EMU10K1_Audigy"
Driver Modules: "snd_emu10k1"
I/O Ports: 0x9c00-0x9c1f (rw)
IRQ: 20 (17992157 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001102d00000002sv00001102sd00008064bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_emu10k1 is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_emu10k1"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #19 (PCI bridge)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
"Geoffrey Bays"

All: The step that solved this no sound problem was adding the sound
driver name 'snd-hda-intel' to the end of my /etc/modules file. the
sound driver was there but not being loaded.
thanks to others for data on lsmod and hwinfo.
Now to get sound working in my emu 0404 pci sound Card!

Thanks,

Geoffrey Bays